M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion I Drove The M850i And It's Sick

06-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
bbazzracing
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I Drove The M850i And It's Sick

Got to drive this 2019 M850i and i'm in love. The M8 Competition must be ludacris

http://bbazzracing.com/bmw-m850i-test-drive-and-review/
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

I Test Drove This 2019 BMW M850i
Today I got to test drive the 2019 BMW M850i at a BMW event in Citi Field where the New York Mets play. To describe this car in one word would be AWESOME! I can only imagine that the BMW M8 Competition must be even more awesomer than this M850i.

Let’s talk about some performance specs. The 2019 BMW M850i is powered by a 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8 engine. Making 523 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 553 lb-ft of torque at 1800 rpm. The engine is mated to a ZF eight-speed transmission. The M850i weighs in at 4400 pounds. It does 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and the quarter-mile in 11.5 seconds at 123 mph. Top speed is a governed 159 mph. It comes to a halt from 60 mph in 107 ft. Base price is $112,000. With that out the way, let's talk about the driving experience.

First things first this BMW M850i is really fast. For a heavy Grand Tourer, it gets up and goes. It’s 0-60 time is as fast as a Lamborghini Gallardo LP-550 and a Ferrari 458. Both of which I’ve driven. It definitely pushes you back into the seat, but not as violent as those cars. It’s more of a continuous surge of power that feels like it will go on forever. The shifts are spot-on for an automatic tranny, and you can adjust it to your liking. The ride is what you would expect from a grand tourer. It’s very smooth with minimal harshness over rough roads. Don’t let this fool you though it can handle itself very well in the twisties. It has huge steel brakes with 4 piston calipers up front and 1 piston caliper in the rear. I didn’t really test for brake fade, but it slows you down pretty quickly. Now the exhaust sound is polarizing. Some people like it and some hate it. I think the ones that hate it only heard in videos, which does not do it justice at all. You have to experience it live in full HD. It's a roaring v8 with the cracks and burbles to go along with it. I will say it could be a bit louder, but this is not a supercar. It's autobahn shredding grand touring demon. An aftermarket exhaust will take care of that with no problem though. The interior is very pleasing to the eyes. There is supple leather everywhere, and the seats are very comfortable for long drives. It has every creature comfort you would want in a high-end grand tourer. Customizable ambient lighting, updated BMW iDrive infotainment system, heated, cooled, and massage seats. You name it and it’s got it. The list goes on and on. It even has a crystal shift knob! It’s a great place to spend some time, even if you are not driving. Almost like a second home.

Overall I was very impressed by this 2019 BMW M850i. I can’t wait to test drive the M8 Competition. Stay tuned…

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbazzracing View Post
Got to drive this 2019 M850i and i'm in love. The M8 Competition must be ludacris

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:41 AM   #3
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

You are spot on (except for the massage seats, strange they didn’t include this).
1999 Mercedes SL500
1980 Mercedes 450SL
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:51 AM   #4
bbazzracing
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_bimmer View Post
You are spot on (except for the massage seats, strange they didn’t include this).

Thanks. My bad. I thought it did.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
Today I got to test drive the 2019 BMW M850i at a BMW event in Citi Field where the New York Mets play. To describe this car in one word would be AWESOME! I can only imagine that the BMW M8 Competition must be even more awesomer than this M850i.

Let’s talk about some performance specs. The 2019 BMW M850i is powered by a 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8 engine. Making 523 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 553 lb-ft of torque at 1800 rpm. The engine is mated to a ZF eight-speed transmission. The M850i weighs in at 4400 pounds. It does 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and the quarter-mile in 11.5 seconds at 123 mph. Top speed is a governed 159 mph. It comes to a halt from 60 mph in 107 ft. Base price is $112,000. With that out the way, let's talk about the driving experience.

First things first this BMW M850i is really fast. For a heavy Grand Tourer, it gets up and goes. It’s 0-60 time is as fast as a Lamborghini Gallardo LP-550 and a Ferrari 458. Both of which I’ve driven. It definitely pushes you back into the seat, but not as violent as those cars. It’s more of a continuous surge of power that feels like it will go on forever. The shifts are spot-on for an automatic tranny, and you can adjust it to your liking. The ride is what you would expect from a grand tourer. It’s very smooth with minimal harshness over rough roads. Don’t let this fool you though it can handle itself very well in the twisties. It has huge steel brakes with 4 piston calipers up front and 1 piston caliper in the rear. I didn’t really test for brake fade, but it slows you down pretty quickly. Now the exhaust sound is polarizing. Some people like it and some hate it. I think the ones that hate it only heard in videos, which does not do it justice at all. You have to experience it live in full HD. It's a roaring v8 with the cracks and burbles to go along with it. I will say it could be a bit louder, but this is not a supercar. It's autobahn shredding grand touring demon. An aftermarket exhaust will take care of that with no problem though. The interior is very pleasing to the eyes. There is supple leather everywhere, and the seats are very comfortable for long drives. It has every creature comfort you would want in a high-end grand tourer. Customizable ambient lighting, updated BMW iDrive infotainment system, heated, cooled, and massage seats. You name it and it’s got it. The list goes on and on. It even has a crystal shift knob! It’s a great place to spend some time, even if you are not driving. Almost like a second home.

Overall I was very impressed by this 2019 BMW M850i. I can’t wait to test drive the M8 Competition. Stay tuned…

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbazzracing View Post

Welcome to the world of the M850i. It's a fantastic GT that meets all of my needs whether a comfy drive or balls to the wall performance. When you get behind the wheel of the M8C you'll find the same creature comforts plus even more performance. The 8-series (M850i and M8/M8C) are amazing cars and unless you are looking for a true sports car, e.g., a 911 TT they are sure to put a smile on your face.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 02:44 AM   #6
bbazzracing
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Welcome to the world of the M850i. It's a fantastic GT that meets all of my needs whether a comfy drive or balls to the wall performance. When you get behind the wheel of the M8C you'll find the same creature comforts plus even more performance. The 8-series (M850i and M8/M8C) are amazing cars and unless you are looking for a true sports car, e.g., a 911 TT they are sure to put a smile on your face.
I'm all about the performance, but if you can get both than yea it would put a huge joker smile on my face
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
ukr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

Do you have review of 458? What did you think of it, handling, power?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #8
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukr View Post
Quote:

Do you have review of 458? What did you think of it, handling, power?
I test drove a Portofino and 488 pist spider, and they were AMAZING; but so is the price. although you can finance for 144 months.
Appreciate 0