M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos I drove an AMG unicorn last weekend (E63 AMG Wagon)

11-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

I drove an AMG unicorn last weekend (E63 AMG Wagon)

Video Link:

Context:

My buddy Charlie, who works for a MB dealer in MD, had a 30k mile 2012 E63 AMG wagon and invited me for a drive. These things are super rare, so I gladly accepted the offer.

I'll get straight to the point: This car is an enthusiast's wet-dream. It's got room for 5 people plus tons of cargo space and an engine that can warp time and space in the passing lane. It's the only automatic transmission car I'd ever consider buying outside of an exotic. Original sticker was around $100k, which is a bit absurd for an E-Class wagon, but this CPO model is selling for around $58k which isn't cheap, but not too bad considering what you get.

This particular model came with the optional performance pack which bumps power to an insane 550 and torque to 590 lb-ft routed to the rear-wheels only. Given that it already had a large 5.5L V8 to start, there was zero perceptible lag from the twin-turbos. Thrust and power was immediate and felt endless at all speeds. That's the magic with high-horsepower cars. You never really need to downshift because the torque is always there like man's best friend. 2000 RPM at 40 mph, foot-down and you're gone. This car doesn't care what speed you're going and it gets better the faster you drive. It's such a tease and I secretly hope it never sells because I want to drive it again in the near future.

As a comparison, I drove this back-to-back with a 2017 AWD Jaguar F-Type R and the E63 wagon felt much faster and seemed to pull harder than the Jag, which was already a riot to drive. I think official acceleration times still favor the Jag, but my butt dyno told me the E63 was faster. The Jag did sound much better, though.
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      11-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
These things are absolute BEASTS, though that model year was my least favorite design in the last several years (too many sharp angles - loved the predecessor and successor). I see these fairly often around here. Now the R63, that's a true unicorn. Supposedly on a couple hundred in the US. I saw one in Greenwich a few years back but never again.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Cool.

For the life of me, I can't quite figure out the fascination behind wagons on forums. They're one of those things that forum members are proud to support to seem more like an "enthusiast" but won't actually buy...kind of like manual transmissions. E55/E63 wagons aren't all that rare around Silicon Valley and I've literally only seen housewifes driving them (but not the good looking ones...more like the frumpy, PTA-mom types who hated life in high school and are now married to a guy who clips his phone on his belt).
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9704.00
      11-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
These things are absolute BEASTS, though that model year was my least favorite design in the last several years (too many sharp angles - loved the predecessor and successor). I see these fairly often around here. Now the R63, that's a true unicorn. Supposedly on a couple hundred in the US. I saw one in Greenwich a few years back but never again.
Before I looked where you were located I said "probably Fairfield county" .....Sure enough
I see a bunch of them as well. I am almost immune to high end cars these days with all the super cars driving up and down Putnam Ave in Greenwich. Its a fantasy land. NOT MAD THOUGH.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Cool.

For the life of me, I can't quite figure out the fascination behind wagons on forums. They're one of those things that forum members are proud to support to seem more like an "enthusiast" but won't actually buy...kind of like manual transmissions. E55/E63 wagons aren't all that rare around Silicon Valley and I've literally only seen housewifes driving them (but not the good looking ones...more like the frumpy, PTA-mom types who hated life in high school and are now married to a guy who clips his phone on his belt).
I think it's the combination of sports-car performance in an unlikely platform that gets enthusiasts excited. There's a definite cool-factor when your family wagon can accelerate to 60 faster than an Aston Martin V12 Vantage and an LP-550 Gallardo.

Also, they tend to hold value better than the standard E63 AMGs due to the rarity. I'm trying to get a Cadillac CTS-V wagon to compare against this one. I'd prefer the CTS-V simply because it's offered in a manual while AMG is automatic only.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
Before I looked where you were located I said "probably Fairfield county" .....Sure enough
I see a bunch of them as well. I am almost immune to high end cars these days with all the super cars driving up and down Putnam Ave in Greenwich. Its a fantasy land. NOT MAD THOUGH.
I work in Manhattan now (obv AMGs all over) but our Stamford office is around the corner from the Miller Motorcars service center. I actually stopped taking pictures of Bugattis and P1s... The only things I snap now are the real rarities (I have a thread of them on here somewhere). F50, Bugatti SS, 288 GTO, Alfa 8C, Enzo, Pagani, etc.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPop View Post
I think it's the combination of sports-car performance in an unlikely platform that gets enthusiasts excited. There's a definite cool-factor when your family wagon can accelerate to 60 faster than an Aston Martin V12 Vantage and an LP-550 Gallardo.

Also, they tend to hold value better than the standard E63 AMGs due to the rarity. I'm trying to get a Cadillac CTS-V wagon to compare against this one. I'd prefer the CTS-V simply because it's offered in a manual while AMG is automatic only.
Having a sports oriented lifestyle (Skiing,Surfing, etc). I see a need for a FAST gear hauler that can accommodate more than two people. A high end wagon at a affordable price just never has lined up when I was in need of a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport +

uncle had one as his daily driver. Recently got rid of it for an XF S sportbrake/shooting brake or whatever they call them nowadays.
It's my least favourite of the 63s but it's still a 63 so it's still a beast. He's happy with the swap though, says the XF is a better car 95% of the time, only time he misses it is on a dry day on an open straight road to hear the growl. Although it's not like he's missing out given his selection of weekend toys.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 03:38 PM   #9
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Cool.

Fast/hot wagons are having your cake and eating it too. Practical, can haul stuff, can toast all the other cars, etc. This is a contender for my next car, the weight is major turn off tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #10
kunzjob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harley Davidson

I love these things but I get hung up on one thing- the transmission. I can't buy an automatic. I thought I could do it a couple years ago and bought an S4- that lasted 13 months and I'm not going that route again. I would love an M3 wagon, E63 AMG, X5m or anything of the sort but I want that stick!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunzjob View Post
I love these things but I get hung up on one thing- the transmission. I can't buy an automatic. I thought I could do it a couple years ago and bought an S4- that lasted 13 months and I'm not going that route again. I would love an M3 wagon, E63 AMG, X5m or anything of the sort but I want that stick!
Better hang on to what you have. It's going to be impossible in the future
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #12
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Fast/hot wagons are having your cake and eating it too. Practical, can haul stuff, can toast all the other cars, etc. This is a contender for my next car, the weight is major turn off tho.
It actually doesn't feel like a heavy car at all. Instead, it feels like it shrinks the faster you go. The power really masks the weight well.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 04:14 PM   #13
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunzjob View Post
I'm with you. I thought about buying it after making the video, but I need a manual transmission if it's going to be my fun car. It's a non-negotiable.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #14
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The Cadillac CTS-V wagon was the last of the power wagons with a manual, I fear...

Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      11-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #15
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

The old E63 was a beast. The new E63 is a MONSTER.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/la-previ...-s--93157.html
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #16
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

To the wagon loves, I have to say that on paper wagons seem great b/c they drive like cars and have the utility of small and midsize SUVs.

However, in practice they just look odd. It's kind of like minivans...sound great on paper next to gas hogging 7 seat SUVs, but I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Same goes for wagons.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #17
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

The reason I wouldn't be caught dead in the minivan or SUV is because they handle like ****.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #18
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
To the wagon loves, I have to say that on paper wagons seem great b/c they drive like cars and have the utility of small and midsize SUVs.

However, in practice they just look odd. It's kind of like minivans...sound great on paper next to gas hogging 7 seat SUVs, but I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Same goes for wagons.
I actually think most of us wagon-lovers love the look of them more than the utility. I just love the proportions of a wagon.

I don't think there are better looking daily drivers on the road than these:

Appreciate 0