M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2020 m850i Gran Coupe xdrive wheel/tire question

11-22-2022, 11:26 AM   #1
rmforr2
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Cool 2020 m850i Gran Coupe xdrive wheel/tire question

I've been searching for the perfect setup for days and figured I'd ask here. I drive about 100 miles a day and the stock setup has me thinking of moving to 19" wheels. Basically, the feedback I'm getting from the road conditions on my commute is not desirable and the road noise is more than I expected. It's time for new tires and I'm thinking I'll make a change with wheels at the same time. TMI probably...

Some of the factors that have given me paralysis by analysis...
- Some 19" wheels will not fit over the big brake calipers? What do I need to look for to avoid this issue?
- The xDrive needs the total diameter (wheel and tire) to be within 1% of front and back? It looks like there are tools to help here, but not sure what the overall diameter should or can be.
- I'd love a square setup so I can rotate but I'd like as much tread on the road as possible. I lose tread on the back if I go with 8.5" on the back and I might be too wide if I use 10" in the front. Is a 275 width doable square?
- I don't mind adding spacers to get closer to the fenders if the offsets call for it. What size spacers would I need? I realize that depends on all the other options.

What's the perfect square setup to accomplish my goals? With all the winter tire setups out there, surely someone has figured it all out.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2022, 06:37 AM   #2
ernie uk
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 M5

I have a friend here in UK with a 2020 M850i Coupe x drive. It is factory
fitted with Michelin Pilot 4s 20" non-run flat tires. I have ridden as a passenger in the car for 200 miles on various road surfaces here in the UK. The tires were quiet and comfortable on all the road surfaces. We have some poorly maintained roads and motorways here which are in need of resurfacing which create tire noise.

I do not know if your cars in the USA come with factory fitted non run flat tires. If you are on run flats you could try changing them to non-run flats.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2022, 08:51 AM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I believe only the M's here in the US come with non run flats but yeah I agree the non runflat Michelin are the best all around.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1