M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 8er after 07/2020 navigation problems

08-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #1
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

8er after 07/2020 navigation problems

Hello,

Do you also have issue with your nav? In cars after 07/2020.

In my 5er I have more options and in 072020 8er are not so many options + you must write locations stupidly long time. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
Hello,

In my 5er I have more options and in 072020 8er are not so many options + you must write locations stupidly long time. [IMG][/IMG]
That's how it's supposed to look with the update (8er photo)
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Quote:
Hello,

That's how it's supposed to look with the update (8er photo)
But its much more complicated and long to add anything. Feels like downrage.. :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
But its much more complicated and long to add anything. Feels like downrage.. :-(
I'm still on 11/2019.70 but just like the earlier releases I've had (starting with 06/2019) I've never manually entered a destination. Rather just like what I do for my wife's X5 (on iDrive 6) I use the BMW Connected App to look up a destination and then send it to the car before I even get in to drive there. On the few occasions in which I needed a navigational point on the fly during driving I've used the BMW Assistant aka voice commands and each time that worked flawlessly. It may come back with a couple of options but you can either voice or touch the screen to which one you want.

Personally I find the iDrive controller for entering data a cumbersome process. In the rare occasion I have to (e.g., entering my Connected Drive password) I put it into the touch keyboard mode and enter the data that way vs the controller.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:39 PM   #5
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
I'm still on 11/2019.70 but just like the earlier releases I've had (starting with 06/2019) I've never manually entered a destination. Rather just like what I do for my wife's X5 (on iDrive 6) I use the BMW Connected App to look up a destination and then send it to the car before I even get in to drive there. On the few occasions in which I needed a navigational point on the fly during driving I've used the BMW Assistant aka voice commands and each time that worked flawlessly. It may come back with a couple of options but you can either voice or touch the screen to which one you want.

Personally I find the iDrive controller for entering data a cumbersome process. In the rare occasion I have to (e.g., entering my Connected Drive password) I put it into the touch keyboard mode and enter the data that way vs the controller.
Seems app is the only way 🤔

If I plan to go somewhere I send it to my car from connected but If I stuck somewehere and need to add location "asap" this is disaster.. previous idrives were absolutely ok but now?

All needed options to find your way are gone
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Seems app is the only way ��

If I plan to go somewhere I send it to my car from connected but If I stuck somewehere and need to add location "asap" this is disaster.. previous idrives were absolutely ok but now?

Have you tried the BMW Assistant? That is what I have done in the couple of need a location ASAP situation and it worked perfectly. I just stated "okay beast" (nickname for the car from my wife and what I've applied to the Assistant custom "wake up" feature) and once the assistant responded stated "navigate me to X in city Y". In either case I was targeting the name of a business and it may have come back with a few options but my target was always in the list. I haven't tried to voice a navigation to just a specific street address but figure it can do so as well.

FYI, some of the new features in the 07/2020 release is enhanced BMW Assistant capabilities. So with any luck they have improved the navigation commands beyond what I have with 11/2019.70.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:04 PM   #7
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Seems app is the only way ��

Have you tried the BMW Assistant? That is what I have done in the couple of need a location ASAP situation and it worked perfectly. I just stated "okay beast" (nickname for the car from my wife and what I've applied to the Assistant custom "wake up" feature) and once the assistant responded stated "navigate me to X in city Y". In either case I was targeting the name of a business and it may have come back with a few options but my target was always in the list. I haven't tried to voice a navigation to just a specific street address but figure it can do so as well.

FYI, some of the new features in the 07/2020 release is enhanced BMW Assistant capabilities. So with any luck they have improved the navigation commands beyond what I have with 11/2019.70.
Hi.

Problem is that car doesnt support my language I can speak in english but its impossibke to tell the car our streets name in eng or english accent 😂
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi.

Problem is that car doesnt support my language I can speak in english but its impossibke to tell the car our streets name in eng or english accent 😂
I can see that scenario as a terrible failure and hence the dilemma. From the data I can find supposedly the assistant supports 22 languages but obviously Czech is not one of them. Hopefully, it is added in the future as the Assistant race is a market space that is key to any companies future given voice input is the future along with gestures. Amazon leads, Siri is a close second, Google a distant third and MS Cortana an abysmal failure to the point they killed it again for non-Windows 10 devices.
Appreciate 1
BiGFather154.00
      08-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Good day everyone, I am looking to purchase an M850i but before that I am trying to learn as much as possible in general about this model and gather information about things to be aware of! Regarding the navigation/tech part, I wanted to know if the 8er cars produced from 07.20 onwards come with a new / upgraded headunit (HW) or whether a 2019 model can be "brought up-to-date" with a software update and thus still enjoy some of the newer stuff?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 06:41 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Good day everyone, I am looking to purchase an M850i but before that I am trying to learn as much as possible in general about this model and gather information about things to be aware of! Regarding the navigation/tech part, I wanted to know if the 8er cars produced from 07.20 onwards come with a new / upgraded headunit (HW) or whether a 2019 model can be "brought up-to-date" with a software update and thus still enjoy some of the newer stuff?
As far as I know the head units across the 8-series are the same for 2019, 2020 and the M8 GC in 2021. Everything else is iDrive software based so a 2019 can get the 07/2020 release which several members already have.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
As far as I know the head units across the 8-series are the same for 2019, 2020 and the M8 GC in 2021. Everything else is iDrive software based so a 2019 can get the 07/2020 release which several members already have.
Thanks a lot.

I strongly hoped that as the X4 of my wife produced in 09-2019 came without Android Auto but we asked the dealer to full flash car recently and now amongst other it is Android Auto-able. Thus I wanted to rest assured that the same can be done for the 8er models.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks a lot.

I strongly hoped that as the X4 of my wife produced in 09-2019 came without Android Auto but we asked the dealer to full flash car recently and now amongst other it is Android Auto-able. Thus I wanted to rest assured that the same can be done for the 8er models.
Unlike the iOS digital key announcement which was confusing to say the least the Android Auto was clear as day. In other words if you have iDrive 7 you get it period. As for the iOS digital key, there are some models with iDrive 7 that do not have the NFC component so obviously they cannot support it. However, the 8-series does no questions asked.
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS604.50
      08-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #13
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Unlike the iOS digital key announcement which was confusing to say the least the Android Auto was clear as day. In other words if you have iDrive 7 you get it period. As for the iOS digital key, there are some models with iDrive 7 that do not have the NFC component so obviously they cannot support it. However, the 8-series does no questions asked.
Thanks a lot really appreciate the information. We do not have Apple devices so I was at least keen on getting Android Auto to be available though we have not tested that yet in the X4. But it's there now. As for the M850i I am looking at a nice Sunset Orange one produced in March 2019 and in case I decide for this one I want to make sure I am not paying for old tech since it is already over a year past and though not full price (8800 km), it is still enough to blow away. The Idrive 7 looks really nice and I think it's undoubtedly one of the best in the market.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks a lot really appreciate the information. We do not have Apple devices so I was at least keen on getting Android Auto to be available though we have not tested that yet in the X4. But it's there now. As for the M850i I am looking at a nice Sunset Orange one produced in March 2019 and in case I decide for this one I want to make sure I am not paying for old tech since it is already over a year past and though not full price (8800 km), it is still enough to blow away. The Idrive 7 looks really nice and I think it's undoubtedly one of the best in the market.
I too am Android based but will likely never use the Android Auto function given the BMW iDrive 7 navigation is pretty top notch plus for audio sources I'll go with either the Sirius XM built-in or my FLAC sources from a 1TB USBC SSD in the console. Rest assured the tech is not old on a 2019 as it is no different than my 2020. That said there are some differences in packages. Make sure it has the full boat for drivers assistance (Drivers Assistance plus Drivers Assistance Pro) and if you want heated/cooled seats the Comfort Seating Package (which became standard in 2020).

The irony is my first desire for a M850i was in Sunset Orange. However, I could never see one in person and once I fell in love with the Fiona Red/Black interior had to scrap it completely. That said Sunset Orange with either Tartufo/Black or Cognac should be a complete winner for a build. A black interior will work as well but within the small cabin of the M850i you definitely want a lighter interior.
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS604.50
      08-22-2020, 01:17 AM   #15
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi.

I can see that scenario as a terrible failure and hence the dilemma. From the data I can find supposedly the assistant supports 22 languages but obviously Czech is not one of them. Hopefully, it is added in the future as the Assistant race is a market space that is key to any companies future given voice input is the future along with gestures. Amazon leads, Siri is a close second, Google a distant third and MS Cortana an abysmal failure to the point they killed it again for non-Windows 10 devices.
Hi. Ye its sad :-/

I can speak eng and little bit ger but the problem is to tell car/phone some instructions.

In car to dictate streets, in iOS to dictate messages and emails its only for simple commands like whats weather etc.

Back to Nav - its one of the reasons they should have still simple solutions how to add by hand, especially in car its really needed to avoid some accident
Appreciate 0