M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Latest pics of new ZR-1

09-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #23
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I am not disagreeing with you at all on any of your points. Also, from my understanding, GM redesigned the 08's interior of the vette to a much more civilized status. I am very excited to see what theyve done to revamp the poorly designed seats and lesser quality of materials. Unfortunately, Im worried about the next redesign as I think the C6 is gorgeous. I wonder what direction they will take it in.
I've seen the 4LT interior option in the 08's and it's definitely a step in the right direction. The seats are still the same but the overall look and feel is definitely improved with that option.

I'm worried as well about where they are going from here. As a owner I'm slight biased , but to me there are few cars on the road today that look better than the C6 cruising down the highway. Everytime I see one I think, "damn, so that's what I look like going down the road, sweet!"

If the direction they go to is similar to the mock-ups we've seen so far, I'm not sure I'd buy one regardless of how good the performance is. I can live with an average interior car if it looks great and performs like a demon, but if the looks go, I can't live with that.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #24
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I maybe wrote it wrong but I would never think the m6 could take the vette in a straight line or in any performace test for that matter. I have high respect for the vette, its remarkable engine and its formidable history. I just think its TOO much for the street. Yes, you can beat everything off the road with it for half the price of a 997 turbo. But unless youre at a track, its wasted because it doesnt have enough "real world" driveability. I would say the same thing for a viper. Its an extraordinary machine that I was lucky enough to be able to drive once. That also just doesnt belong on the road, its hampered by its true intentions of being a track monster.

I wasnt trying to make this a debate on american muscle vs. euro engineering. I am an enthusiast of all makes and models. I can honestly say that when the challenger srt-8 comes out, I will probably finally sell my M3 for it. I think the "Cuda/Charger" coke bottle design was/is the most beautiful menacing vision ever created for the road(besides a ferrari f430).

You may be right, all that power may be too much for the street. In an article I read recently, a higher up at GM working on the ZR-1 said it was one of the hardest things they had done and even though they are using an existing car as the base, the work they are doing is comparable to what they would do for a brand new model.

In fact, one of the things holding up the project is that they are having trouble getting all that power to the road without the back tires just spinning in place.

If they're not careful, they could end up with something that kills everything in a straight line, but it's too high strung for a track and you have a tough time controlling it (i.e the new Viper). They did a great job with the current Z06 so hopefully they won't make that mistake.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #25
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
As much as I like the M6 it doesn't even come close to the performance of this car on the track.
it doesnt come close to a regualr vette on the track.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #26
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

going to be the best supercar for the money EVER produced. If I had a ton of money I would buy one. You will pretty much get the performance of the Saleen Twin Turbo S7 for 1/4 the price.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0