M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Collision center in DFW

05-03-2023, 08:06 AM   #1
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY24 Porsche Taycan

Garage List
Collision center in DFW

So sad! Yesterday on the way home from ordering hubby a 23 X3 M40i, a big truck slung a large rock which hit the hood and windshield of my 23 840.

Hood gouged/scratched in 3 places with slight scratch in windshield. My first thought is take it to the BMW certified collision center at the dealer where I purchased. But thought I’d ask to see if anyone in DFW has recommendation.

The damage is bad enough, but i need it to be perfect after repair…otherwise I’ll lose my mind!

MY24 Audi SQ5 Prestige | Mythos black metallic | Magma red Nappa

Retired: MY23 BMW 840i Coupe | MY21 Audi SQ5 | MY19 Audi A6
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 08:34 AM   #2
Bulent Ali
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M8 competition coupe

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you are not harmed . So s...t when that happens . I had a dog on a long long chain lead cross the road ...to long for me to stop.. I didn't hit the dog but the chain was attached to a steel advertising sign.. I hit the sign head on . Damage was big..... dog was safe....my heart was broken and rhe car.
Appreciate 1
Accentu8703.50
      05-16-2023, 08:15 PM   #3
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY24 Porsche Taycan

Garage List
So I got estimate from BMW dealer and they want to tear my entire front and fenders off just to paint my hood. Total over $3.4k. I don’t understand why all of that just to repaint the hood. Don’t our hoods come off without all of that?? Not looking forward to hunting for someone else then worrying about the quality of work, but that quote is beyond ridiculous!

MY24 Audi SQ5 Prestige | Mythos black metallic | Magma red Nappa

Retired: MY23 BMW 840i Coupe | MY21 Audi SQ5 | MY19 Audi A6
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 07:16 AM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say My Name View Post
So I got estimate from BMW dealer and they want to tear my entire front and fenders off just to paint my hood. Total over $3.4k. I don’t understand why all of that just to repaint the hood. Don’t our hoods come off without all of that?? Not looking forward to hunting for someone else then worrying about the quality of work, but that quote is beyond ridiculous!
What color? Does $3,400 include a replacement windshield? If so, I'm not surprised at all by the price.

Are you sure they're not just blending clear into the front fenders? In some cases a shop may suggest to remove panels for respray to avoid hard edges and instead give the appearance that no paintwork was done. However, with front fenders it's not difficult to get full coverage and no hard edges without needing to remove the fenders.

I suggest you ask them about single panel repair. If they have a good painter and finisher, with most colors they can get you a near perfect match without needing to blend. That's if their painter is really good. For most colors they can get a blend just by using your VIN. BMW will give them the color blend for your car and they will give two alternatives if the suggested blend isn't color accurate. They've got it down pretty well these days.

What you want to look for is obviously color match under sunlight and artificial light. Also, if your car is metallic, pay attention to the metal flake, the way it lays in comparison to the factory paint. Finally, and this may be the toughest part is to match the factory orange peel in the clear. In most cases a body shop repair will have a more mirror finish as compared to the factory paint. You've got to let them know to be careful buffing to ensure they don't lose a close orange peel match.

I do suggest using a BMW certified shop so they can get you the closest possible color match. BMW approved shops also have the spray nozzles that BMW wants them to use to apply the paint to closely match how the factory paints.

Good luck.