M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Need Opinion on Used SUV

04-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #1
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90M3

Need Opinion on Used SUV

So I'm basically looking for a used AWD or 4x4 SUV to take some of the driving of my M3. In addition I also have my first child on the way, and I don't want him in the M3, we have a lot of idiot boy racers around my area. At least not until he's a little older. My car attracts a lot of unwanted attention.

I'm not looking for anything fancy or expensive, but just not quiet a beater. My budget is 5K top. I have been looking at the following vehicles after doing some research:

1) 2002-2003 Infiniti Qx4: I really like this truck, although I have read the gas mileage is bad. But nonetheless it's very reliable and drives well.

2)2004-2005 Bmw X3: Might be over my budget for a decent one. Good vehicle as well. However, might be needy with mileage exceeding 100K.

3)Ford Escape 2005-2006: Good vehicle. Might not be rewarding to drive, but still fits the bill.

4)Take the cash and just lease something with a cheap monthly payment. Although I'm trying to stay away from having a monthly payment.

Your thoughts??
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2015, 01:51 AM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacegrayMe90 View Post
So I'm basically looking for a used AWD or 4x4 SUV to take some of the driving of my M3. In addition I also have my first child on the way, and I don't want him in the M3, we have a lot of idiot boy racers around my area. At least not until he's a little older. My car attracts a lot of unwanted attention.

I'm not looking for anything fancy or expensive, but just not quiet a beater. My budget is 5K top. I have been looking at the following vehicles after doing some research:

1) 2002-2003 Infiniti Qx4: I really like this truck, although I have read the gas mileage is bad. But nonetheless it's very reliable and drives well.

2)2004-2005 Bmw X3: Might be over my budget for a decent one. Good vehicle as well. However, might be needy with mileage exceeding 100K.

3)Ford Escape 2005-2006: Good vehicle. Might not be rewarding to drive, but still fits the bill.

4)Take the cash and just lease something with a cheap monthly payment. Although I'm trying to stay away from having a monthly payment.

Your thoughts??

If it was me, I would just lease something like an Escape, CX-5( 1st choice, you can get a stick), CRV (2nd Choice), Forester, Rogue.

I don't have kids. However, I would think the known warranty/ reliability of a new car and no unexpected costs would be of virtue to both you and your wife, especially if your moving your bundle of sleepless/ hatred nights around.

Your looking at 10yr SUVs that may or may not have been maintained well. Think of Tranny, Spark Plugs, Belts, Tune Ups, Tires, Battery, Shocks, Ball Joints, Brakes, Heaters/AC AKA: wear and tear items and depending upon the SUV MPGs... " Beater"

On a 20-25k compact SUV, no reason you couldn't find a lease under 300 bucks for 36-39 months.

Currently the Honda CRV, 39 months lease is $260 a month with zero down( Not sure your taxes, title and fees). An you might be able to work better numbers.

http://automobiles.honda.com/current...ModelName=CR-V

A $260-$280 a month payment vs coming out of pocket of 5k, then repair costs is easier to swallow. I hear kids can be expensive. An knowing that the SUV will make it without problems with the wife and kid can be priceless.

Now all this goes out the window if you can find a sweet deal of the mint condition SUV driven by the sweet rich old lady that drives 1,000 miles a year and doesn't eat in her car.

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 04-10-2015 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #3
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

or buy a base LX or base pilot for 28-30k, drive for 3 yrs, and then sell for close to 20k. Approx 8-10k out of pocket, you have 8 seats and full warranty. Just picked up an SE for under 30k last week.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
If it was me, I would just lease something like an Escape, CX-5( 1st choice, you can get a stick), CRV (2nd Choice), Forester, Rogue.

I don't have kids. However, I would think the known warranty/ reliability of a new car and no unexpected costs would be of virtue to both you and your wife, especially if your moving your bundle of sleepless/ hatred nights around.

Your looking at 10yr SUVs that may or may not have been maintained well. Think of Tranny, Spark Plugs, Belts, Tune Ups, Tires, Battery, Shocks, Ball Joints, Brakes, Heaters/AC AKA: wear and tear items and depending upon the SUV MPGs... " Beater"

On a 20-25k compact SUV, no reason you couldn't find a lease under 300 bucks for 36-39 months.

Currently the Honda CRV, 39 months lease is $260 a month with zero down( Not sure your taxes, title and fees). An you might be able to work better numbers.

http://automobiles.honda.com/current...ModelName=CR-V

A $260-$280 a month payment vs coming out of pocket of 5k, then repair costs is easier to swallow. I hear kids can be expensive. An knowing that the SUV will make it without problems with the wife and kid can be priceless.

Now all this goes out the window if you can find a sweet deal of the mint condition SUV driven by the sweet rich old lady that drives 1,000 miles a year and doesn't eat in her car.

Was thinking along those same lines, lease something new, don't want any unexpected maintenance items popping up....

In terms op the Escape, my in-laws have a 2014 and for short trips it fits the bill but anything longer than say an hour and a half I find the seats a bit uncomfortable..CR-V is a good choice good re-sale as well

May want to take a look at the RAV-4, 2 years 25000 full maintenance coverage (similar to BMW's 4 yr 50k plan) and high resale if purchased.
      04-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the chiming in with some good advice guys. I really appreciate it. Your insight has me rethinking my approach. I was leaning more to the no monthly payments side, with the hopes of maybe finding a reliable vehicle within my budget. But with my budget most of the vehicles of interest will be at about the 100K mileage range. Maintenance issues is now definitely at the forefront of my mind.

I'm probably going to swing by the dealerships this weekend to see what promotions they are running.

Question, I have never leased a vehicle before, I have always purchased. Are there any negatives in deciding to go with a 0 down lease?

Last edited by SpacegrayMe90; 04-10-2015 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

0 down is the way to go, if something happens and the car is a loss you don't get that money back. To answer your original question, I'm a big fan of the Mazda CX-5.. seems like a great value and IMO the best looking of the bunch
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
socal135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke344
0 down is the way to go, if something happens and the car is a loss you don't get that money back. To answer your original question, I'm a big fan of the Mazda CX-5.. seems like a great value and IMO the best looking of the bunch
I'll second the cx-5. Best looking, handling and mpg in class.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
sergkoko
Comrade
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
How about an old Toyota 4Runner from the 90's, I know that would be a little older, but they are very reliable and can also be used for a camping trip or something along those lines.
      04-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke344 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal135 View Post
I'll second the cx-5. Best looking, handling and mpg in class.
Just googled the Mazada cx-5, not bad looking at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Just googled the Mazada cx-5, not bad looking at all.

You can get it with with a 6 speed manual too.

Zoom Zoom Zoom'

jkrig brings up a great option.. the Rav4 is another option and comes with 2yr maintenance program.

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 04-11-2015 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the chiming in with some good advice guys. I really appreciate it. Your insight has me rethinking my approach. I was leaning more to the no monthly payments side, with the hopes of maybe finding a reliable vehicle within my budget. But with my budget most of the vehicles of interest will be at about the 100K mileage range. Maintenance issues is now definitely at the forefront of my mind.

I'm probably going to swing by the dealerships this weekend to see what promotions they are running.

Question, I have never leased a vehicle before, I have always purchased. Are there any negatives in deciding to go with a 0 down lease?

No negatives, your monthly payment could be higher depending upon how the numbers works... leasing is about residuals, money factors and the net sales price of the car, future buyout.

If you can find something that has great residual over x amount of months, work for a fair net sells price/ money factor. It can often times be like you put money down or better.

As some others have said, avoid putting money down on a lease. Unless its for taxes or things of that nature, or MSD aka: anything in which you get that money back at the end of the lease, I don't know how many manufacturers have a program like that.
Appreciate 0