M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 850 Coupe – Ozzie8’s Top 10

07-15-2019, 04:08 AM   #1
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
850 Coupe – Ozzie8’s Top 10

Having had the chance to drive and explore my m850i Coupe, I thought I’d bring you all my initial Top 10 highlights.

1. Overall Package – I think BMW have done a mighty job with this car, it is the complete package, exterior, interior, performance, quality and X factor. That can’t be easy for any new car launch especially the 8.

2. Effortless Power – The engine is fair dinkum. Put your foot down and it goes and goes and goes. You can surprise anyone at the lights, overtake with a tickle and just be an outright hoon. And of course the sound from doof doof, to screaming and the cackles.

3. Cruising at Speed – It’s the cruisers cruiser. Tremendous stability at speed, heavy enough to avoid buffeting from cross winds and trucks, very quiet cabin and its just so relaxing to drive. Radar cruise control is the best I’ve used in any car so far.

4. Cabin Quality – So many of the reviews panned the interior and I think they’re all daft. The Swarovski finishes are lovely, leather, alcantara, stitching, door handles, light covers, B+W speakers, screen quality – its all there. Understated and yet a statement.

5. X Drive – If you’re doing most of your driving in the city then this amazing. Who would have thought a few degrees on the rear tyres could make such a difference to manoeuvrability? It makes it light when you need it and makes you more confident in tighter spaces.

6. Bum Warmers – You can set the bum warmers to come on if the seat is below a certain temperature. Get the fart out of here! And then the arm rest and centre console warm as well. An added pleasurable bonus.

7. Looks – Everyone is looking at the car and lots of head checks to see the model designation on the back of the car. Only a couple of 850’s on the road in Sydney right now, so that’s kind of special. But it just looks hot, especially its bigger arse.

8. Speed Set – I know you’ll be thinking I’m a drongo for having this in my top 10, automatically detects the speed limit and with the press of button adjusts the speed up or down. We have speed cameras and police radar everywhere in this beautiful land and one of the ways you get caught is with constant changes to the limits on certain routes. Makes life so easy.

9. Media – I’m a bit of dag and have all of my music on mp3 – I use MediaMonkey – and load all of my music and playlists onto a USB drive which I plug into the car. MediaMonkey is perfect for BMW’s and the format looks great on the screens and works a treat. The Bowers + Wilkins sound system is excellent (all equaliser setting tips welcome) and its just a great place to listen to music.

10. Lighting – Strewth how good are the laser lights! What a difference and on high beam it lights up the distance. Interior lighting options are significant. Even the lighting inside the B+W speakers. Lovely ambience at night, cruising along, music playing…..you get the picture.

That's my Top 10 so far, I will continue to evolve them. It’s not all perfect, stayed tuned, my Bottom 10 - coming soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-15-2019, 06:02 AM   #2
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Having had the chance to drive and explore my m850i Coupe, I thought I’d bring you all my initial Top 10 highlights.

1. Overall Package – I think BMW have done a mighty job with this car, it is the complete package, exterior, interior, performance, quality and X factor. That can’t be easy for any new car launch especially the 8.

2. Effortless Power – The engine is fair dinkum. Put your foot down and it goes and goes and goes. You can surprise anyone at the lights, overtake with a tickle and just be an outright hoon. And of course the sound from doof doof, to screaming and the cackles.

3. Cruising at Speed – It’s the cruisers cruiser. Tremendous stability at speed, heavy enough to avoid buffeting from cross winds and trucks, very quiet cabin and its just so relaxing to drive. Radar cruise control is the best I’ve used in any car so far.

4. Cabin Quality – So many of the reviews panned the interior and I think they’re all daft. The Swarovski finishes are lovely, leather, alcantara, stitching, door handles, light covers, B+W speakers, screen quality – its all there. Understated and yet a statement.

5. X Drive – If you’re doing most of your driving in the city then this amazing. Who would have thought a few degrees on the rear tyres could make such a difference to manoeuvrability? It makes it light when you need it and makes you more confident in tighter spaces.

6. Bum Warmers – You can set the bum warmers to come on if the seat is below a certain temperature. Get the fart out of here! And then the arm rest and centre console warm as well. An added pleasurable bonus.

7. Looks – Everyone is looking at the car and lots of head checks to see the model designation on the back of the car. Only a couple of 850’s on the road in Sydney right now, so that’s kind of special. But it just looks hot, especially its bigger arse.

8. Speed Set – I know you’ll be thinking I’m a drongo for having this in my top 10, automatically detects the speed limit and with the press of button adjusts the speed up or down. We have speed cameras and police radar everywhere in this beautiful land and one of the ways you get caught is with constant changes to the limits on certain routes. Makes life so easy.

9. Media – I’m a bit of dag and have all of my music on mp3 – I use MediaMonkey – and load all of my music and playlists onto a USB drive which I plug into the car. MediaMonkey is perfect for BMW’s and the format looks great on the screens and works a treat. The Bowers + Wilkins sound system is excellent (all equaliser setting tips welcome) and its just a great place to listen to music.

10. Lighting – Strewth how good are the laser lights! What a difference and on high beam it lights up the distance. Interior lighting options are significant. Even the lighting inside the B+W speakers. Lovely ambience at night, cruising along, music playing…..you get the picture.

That's my Top 10 so far, I will continue to evolve them. It’s not all perfect, stayed tuned, my Bottom 10 - coming soon.
Thanks for sharing.

When I first saw the M850i I was underwhelmed. I found that for a flagship car BMW could have done much more. It felt to me as they just decided to do this car because they could. No new technology that isn't already in a lesser model, and so it didn't really feel as special as a flagship model should feel. I thought it look good just not good enough.

So then I was waiting for the M8 to come out to see what difference it would make inside and out. Hoping that it would look like the concept and have more interior design subtle changes that push it to the special feeling I thought it was missing. I was never interested in the coupe but instead the GC because I need a proper back seat, and when I saw the 850i GC production model I fell in love. To me they really nailed it and to be honest slowly the interior of the 850i coupe grew on me. Now I can see what BMW did with this interior keep the center console design similar to the original 8 series. I think it will age very well.

As for the M8 in GC form I just don't think it's going to be nice enough to warrant the premium they are asking as opposed to the M850i GC so my decision is to go with the GC. This in between model just makes more sense because of the amount of power it comes with in stock form. Plus I much prefer the front bumper design of the M850i as opposed to the M8. BMW really calmed down the design style of the M8 front and rear bumpers and it cost them a sale of their M car from me. They should have had the courage to make it closer to the concept car. Be BOLD BMW. Those front dam intakes were so big and aggressive. Never have I fell in love with a concept car before since the i8 concept. It was perfect. So now with what they have given us, the front of the M850i to me looks so much better than the more expensive M8. In my opinion. Anyway I digress.

Keep making these reviews and posting pics. Thanks so much. Enjoy

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      07-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Fantastic review. Really enjoying it. Keep it coming..
Looking forward to Top 10 Dislikes
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00