M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Spied: BMW M8 Gran Coupe (F93)!

02-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #67
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Beautiful
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #68
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN. View Post
Carbon Fiber Roof No Doubt

Very Nice !

I cook my own food and say hmmm very nice 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #69
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMSport2 View Post
well it is implied when the individual says designed from the track to the road.
Then someone posted an article saying how the 8 series was derived from the track car but if you read the article it only really talks about the exterior design. nothing but a marketing piece.
The 8 series is not an on road race car like a Ferrari or Porsche. may be in the price bracket but not the same. It is a GT car.
It drives nothing like a road race car. period.
do you have a racing license? what are your qualifications for determining a race car vs a GT car?

when did you drive the M8 ? the M8 GTE?

Do you not understand that your statements notwithstanding.. that the M8 was designed by BMW in the same way that Ferrari and Porsche design their race cars.. for the track ... and then adapted to the street.

in other words.. BMW declared.. we are going to do the same as our main competitors on track and design a car to RACE.. and then build a street car from it..... just as BMW themselves did back when they designed cars such as the M1 and the E30 M3.

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...r-to-icon.html

of course some haven't realized what's going on...

https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/to...el_Scully.html

Michael Scully: “When a car like the BMW M8 GTE debuts publically before a flagship production car such as the BMW 8 Series, the continuity of performance and design character are of heightened importance because the race car plays such an active role in helping to shape and communicate the essence of the new BMW 8 Series

without a doubt.. these are designer comments... and they refer to design goals.. not engineering goals.

however.. the simple fact that with it's rich history in racing.. that this is the first model to be raced on track prior to a production car being sold, unequivocally illustrates true trickle down in design from the track to the street.

https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/to...mw-m8-gte.html

The BMW M8GTE has been homologated for both IMSA and WEC FIA.... but still not a race car eh?

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-13-2019 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 3
MDuckie93.00
Igor_M52127.50
CP911985.50
      02-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #70
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
well it is implied when the individual says designed from the track to the road.
Then someone posted an article saying how the 8 series was derived from the track car but if you read the article it only really talks about the exterior design. nothing but a marketing piece.
The 8 series is not an on road race car like a Ferrari or Porsche. may be in the price bracket but not the same. It is a GT car.
do you have a racing license? what are your qualifications for determining a race car vs a GT car?

Do you not understand that your statements notwithstanding.. that the M8 was designed by BMW in the same way that Ferrari and Porsche design their race cars.. for the track ... and then adapted to the street.

in other words.. BMW declared.. we are going to do the same as our main competitors on track and design a car to RACE.. and then build a street car from it..... just as BMW themselves did back when they designed cars such as the M1 and the E30 M3.

Michael Scully: "When a car like the BMW M8 GTE debuts publically before a flagship production car such as the BMW 8 Series, the continuity of performance and design character are of heightened importance because the race car plays such an active role in helping to shape and communicate the essence of the new BMW 8 Series

without a doubt.. these are designer comments... and they refer to design goals.. not engineering goals.

however.. the simple fact that with it's rich history in racing.. that this is the first model to be raced on track prior to a production car being sold, unequivocally illustrates true trickle down in design from the track to the street.

The BMW M8GTE has been homologated for both IMSA and WEC FIA.... but still not a race car eh?
not going to debate with anyone who thinks the 8 series is a sports car like a 911 or Ferrari. You keep telling people that.

Why is it a GT car? I believe BMW's target is the S63 coupe not 911 or Ferrari. So if you can convince BMW to market as a sports car against 911 and Ferraris than u would be correct.

Talking about history, when was the last time BMW made a real sports car?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #71
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
not going to debate with anyone who thinks the 8 series is a sports car like a 911 or Ferrari. You keep telling people that.

Why is it a GT car? I believe BMW's target is the S63 coupe not 911 or Ferrari. So if you can convince BMW to market as a sports car against 911 and Ferraris than u would be correct.

According to you... ? - " Never " - Natch.,,, because according to you... even if they did.. they didn't market it appropriately..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:19 AM   #72
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
According to you... ? - " Never " - Natch.,,, because according to you... even if they did.. they didn't market it appropriately..
In concept I agree with BMW's phrasing talking about it being a race car first etc. However in real life I think they are just lying and it is just a shortened F90 M5, just like how the F13 M6 is an F10 M5 with a few inches missing.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it to be more like the race car with a transaxle but it isn't happening.
      02-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #73
JWD 330
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Launch Date

Anyone idea when / where it's going to be revealed. Based on development timings looks like it could be Frankfurt. Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #74
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Still didn't answer any of the questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #75
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
This might be one of the most beautiful cars ever built.
loved the 6 series GC and this will be just as good if not better. BMW has done great work in the area of design in the 4 door coupe arena.
Appreciate 1
NYAWE60645.00
      02-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #76
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

car wow 8 series GT! Not a race car!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 09:55 PM   #77
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWIN-SCROLL View Post
Again floating rear calipers, that's a shame.

Otherwisev it looks REALLY good, one more dream car for me !
I know what the hell is up w the detuned brakes.
Cost cut man! Why put 2 calipers like model s, x, alfa qv, most supercars when u can put just one shitty floating caliper there? All about the profit margin. It makes sense on 3/4 even 5, but 7 8? Come on! People pay so much for these cars. Shame BMW MERC AUDI don't put dual calipers at rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #78
WindJackal
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta

What are the dimensions of the 8 series Gran Coupe? Will it be around 1380mm high?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #79
gmag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Latest M8 GranCoupe spyshots. Check out the wheels on this particular prototype...these are the production version of the wheels on the M8 GranCoupe Concept car and they look "sexy"! They definitely look way better than the wheels we saw fitted on the leaked pictures of the M8 Competition Coupe.

Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      04-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #80
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag View Post
Latest M8 GranCoupe spyshots. Check out the wheels on this particular prototype...these are the production version of the wheels on the M8 GranCoupe Concept car and they look "sexy"! They definitely look way better than the wheels we saw fitted on the leaked pictures of the M8 Competition Coupe.

Nearly perfect vehicle to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 04:57 AM   #81
WindJackal
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag View Post

Sweet. Do you know anything about the 8-series Gran Coupe dimensions - particularly the height?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #82
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Latest sighting at the Nurburgring

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #83
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

that rs6 was catching it in a hurry down that straight!

hopefully this M8 has more than 650hp and is more than just an M5 dressed to be the M6 gran coupe labeled as the M8GC so they can charge more.
      04-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #84
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

Looks good but that exhaust is so muted
      04-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #85
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Michael Scully: "When a car like the BMW M8 GTE debuts publically before a flagship production car such as the BMW 8 Series, the continuity of performance and design character are of heightened importance because the race car plays such an active role in helping to shape and communicate the essence of the new BMW 8 Series

Total ignorance on display here. Have you not been paying attention? To answer your own question, the last sports car (yes, it actually is used in motorSPORTS racing) by BMW is the M8 GTE, the car this street legal 8-series was designed from. You use a carwow (a joke of a car reviewer/journalist, btw) review to back up your argument? Haha! Yes, in a marketing sense, it competes with other GT cars on the streets as far as segment alignment, but it's most definitely still a (larger and heavier) sports car. One more question. Do you consider the Corvette a GT car or true sports car? I've seen arguments for both. Not surprising since, like the 8-series, it can fill both roles depending on who's coming up with the criteria.
      04-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #86
lago1974
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive

Garage List
2023 X5 M50i  [8.50]
I like what I'm seeing so far
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #87
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
Doesn't look as sleek as the previous M6 GC iteration...

Looks too much like a Panamera mixed with a Lexus from some angles
Agrée. It looks like they wanted to make it more comfortable for rear passenegers and it hurt design.

Meanwhile I saw a 6 GC yesterday that looked stunning
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #88
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GT cars are designed to be confortable on long trips. Usually means soft suspension and a big engine.

Sports cars are designed to go fast around a track and that means tight suspension to reduce weight transfer.

The 8 series was designed to win Le Mans and then converted to a road car. It's big true, but that makes it very stable and easy to drive at the limit compared to a 911.

The fact is the M8 has adaptive suspension so it will be comfortable on the highway. But it's not going to be S class or 7 series comfortable.

It's a sports car from the start.
Appreciate 0