M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 8 Series Convertible Alloys

04-02-2024, 01:50 PM   #1
mattgod69
Rep
Drives: 840i Grand Coupe

8 Series Convertible Alloys

Hi all, I hope you all had a good Easter break.

I have just got a nearly new ex demonstrator 8 series convertible (9 months old) from a BMW main dealer. I am very happy with the car but the car was handed over to me with a few issues.

One of the issues and arguably the main issue, is that they have done a really poor repair on the two front alloys. They have sanded and painted(!) the obviously curbed areas and it is really noticeable as the diamonds cut grooves etc are no longer visible. The dealership have agreed to pay for a proper refurbishment with a repair I trust and comes highly recommended. This would involve a proper repair and adding back in the diamond cut finish.

This is due to be done next week along with some minor cosmetic work to the front bumper which was heavily scratched and stone chipped and also a 3 stage polish as there are hologram marks all over the car where I have been told that polished one it was hot.

The car was very expensive as you can imagine(!) but flicking through this forum I noted that there could be issues further down the line if I have any corrosion issues or something similar on the front wheels. Should I be asking for the wheels to be replaced I am I being unreasonable? I am reasonably happy for the wheels etc. to be repaired.

The dealership has agreed to pay for all these items.

Any comments all thoughts would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 07:59 PM   #2
jargon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 M8Comp Cabriolet

Sales are slow. Demand brand new wheels.

Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:53 PM   #3
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgod69 View Post
Hi all, I hope you all had a good Easter break.

I have just got a nearly new ex demonstrator 8 series convertible (9 months old) from a BMW main dealer. I am very happy with the car but the car was handed over to me with a few issues.

One of the issues and arguably the main issue, is that they have done a really poor repair on the two front alloys. They have sanded and painted(!) the obviously curbed areas and it is really noticeable as the diamonds cut grooves etc are no longer visible. The dealership have agreed to pay for a proper refurbishment with a repair I trust and comes highly recommended. This would involve a proper repair and adding back in the diamond cut finish.

This is due to be done next week along with some minor cosmetic work to the front bumper which was heavily scratched and stone chipped and also a 3 stage polish as there are hologram marks all over the car where I have been told that polished one it was hot.

The car was very expensive as you can imagine(!) but flicking through this forum I noted that there could be issues further down the line if I have any corrosion issues or something similar on the front wheels. Should I be asking for the wheels to be replaced I am I being unreasonable? I am reasonably happy for the wheels etc. to be repaired.

The dealership has agreed to pay for all these items.

Any comments all thoughts would be much appreciated.
If they won’t replace the wheels, insist on a proper repair and if refused, walk away. I’ve had many wheels professionally repaired and I can’t tell where the repair was done. $200 CDN/wheel. Cheaper than a new wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 02:49 AM   #4
mattgod69
Rep

Thanks for the response guys... they have agreed to a proper repair, but i am aware that wheels can only be refurbished a certain number of times...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 04:09 AM   #5
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Thanks for the response guys... they have agreed to a proper repair, but i am aware that wheels can only be refurbished a certain number of times...
If the dealer is the one in Hailsham that is doing the refurb I wouldn’t worry about…I have had a few done there () and there have been no subsequent issues. They do them themselves on site.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 04:13 AM   #6
mattgod69
Rep

No its not group 1 doing this refurb this time (although they are great and give a good service), it is Lepsons in north Kent, but they are very highly regarded as one of the best in the area for refurbs... I have a friend who owns an aftermarket Merc garage in Dartford and he said he would not go anywhere else....

Interesting to know they do them on site... do you know how much they charge?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 04:19 AM   #7
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
No its not group 1 doing this refurb this time (although they are great and give a good service), it is Lepsons in north Kent, but they are very highly regarded as one of the best in the area for refurbs... I have a friend who owns an aftermarket Merc garage in Dartford and he said he would not go anywhere else....

Interesting to know they do them on site... do you know how much they charge?
I was quoted £130 + vat each for mine that are lightly scuffed…booked in for May. Happily I have wheel and tyre insurance!!

One thing to bear in mind that hadn’t occurred to me - some BMW wheels including mine have ‘Individual’ etched on one of the spokes…that will be probably be lost when they are recut.
Appreciate 1