M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Check coolant!

06-23-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Check coolant!

As I was about to head off to the shops today, I received this rather serious message. No warning messages up until this point. I hope I don't have a coolant leak issue.

For the novices like me, there are two coolant reservoirs. Only open them once the engine is cold (suggest first thing in the morning). You can see from my photos both were below low. Inside the tanks you can see the plastic low/high level guide. Bring back the dip stick - so much easier than these things. Essentially you are trying to cover the low level of the yellow plastic tab with liquid but not the high level.

My car gulped down over a litre of coolant. The mixture is 50/50 genuine BMW Coolant / De-mineralised water.

In the good old days driving in country, you'd pull up at the servo and fuel up and ALWAYS check the radiator. Because it was hot and a lack of water in your radiator would often mean you were in for a long walk home.

These days in a our fancy cars, I've never thought to check the coolant. I can read the oil and fuels levels from the digital feeds into iDrive and BMW Connected. But not the coolant.

Anyway team, I just thought I would post this and perhaps prompt you to check your coolant.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
rajahfl38.50
Seaford1124.00
      06-23-2020, 11:16 PM   #2
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

I don't think you should be using coolant...how many miles on yours?

If you have time have your dealer do a pressure check and inspect for leaks.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      06-23-2020, 11:23 PM   #3
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Owners guide says to add coolant 50/50 mix.

4,499km on the clock.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:38 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I've never had that problem without a coolant leak. You might want to take that to the dealership to check on ?
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      06-23-2020, 11:38 PM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post

4,499km on the clock.
Too little mileage to be adding coolant, take it in and have the aforementioned testing done.

Appreciate 3
Ozzie8641.00
Seaford1124.00
      06-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

That exact thing happened to me last Fall, after the new car’s first hot and humid Deep South summer. I checked for visible leaks and found none. I topped off that annoying reservoir. Thus far, nine months later, the problem has not reoccurred.

My theory: The reservoir was incompletely filled in the first place, and normal, hot-weather use lowered it just enough to generate the error message.

That said, I am watching it very carefully this summer.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      06-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
An20Olives
Senior VP of spite
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, 11 335xi, 17 X3 M40i,

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2017 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Odd amount for the little miles on it. BMW engines will drink coolant and oil, mainly oil. Every car I've had has encountered this until switching to run the engine colder. Definitely take it in so they can look it over but also make sure the engine is up to temp before beating on it.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      06-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #8
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Pressure test is always best to ensure all is good with these kinds of things

Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      06-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #9
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Y'all should check this thread out. Seems as though the water in the coolant is boiling off...or at least that's what some folks who are more handy than I am are saying.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26334929
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      06-24-2020, 06:58 PM   #10
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
Y'all should check this thread out. Seems as though the water in the coolant is boiling off...or at least that's what some folks who are more handy than I am are saying.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26334929
Yes! As I posted above, my low-coolant warning came last Fall after an extremely hot summer. I topped it off.

I checked it again a few weeks ago as summer returned here and it was fine. But...that was shortly after the car's first routine service visit. It is extremely possible that the level was fine because the service tech had just topped it off again.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
As I was about to head off to the shops today, I received this rather serious message. No warning messages up until this point. I hope I don't have a coolant leak issue.

For the novices like me, there are two coolant reservoirs. Only open them once the engine is cold (suggest first thing in the morning). You can see from my photos both were below low. Inside the tanks you can see the plastic low/high level guide. Bring back the dip stick - so much easier than these things. Essentially you are trying to cover the low level of the yellow plastic tab with liquid but not the high level.

My car gulped down over a litre of coolant. The mixture is 50/50 genuine BMW Coolant / De-mineralised water.

In the good old days driving in country, you'd pull up at the servo and fuel up and ALWAYS check the radiator. Because it was hot and a lack of water in your radiator would often mean you were in for a long walk home.

These days in a our fancy cars, I've never thought to check the coolant. I can read the oil and fuels levels from the digital feeds into iDrive and BMW Connected. But not the coolant.

Anyway team, I just thought I would post this and perhaps prompt you to check your coolant.
Thanks for the update and definitely something for me to keep an eye on now that we're riding 110+ degree summer days. I never even thought to check the coolant prior to the drive to San Diego and back considering it is a 7 month old car. Live and learn and so grateful to the forum for the learning aspect!
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      01-29-2024, 12:18 PM   #12
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC

Quote:

This post really helped me this morning. I want to add a few more points that I learned after re-filling my M8GC's coolant. I know there are multiple places to add coolant for different purposes, for me I have attached a picture with a red rectangle showing where I put coolant in for my engine.

Standard disclaimer: This is my experience living in Florida. These points may or may not work for you, your car, or your climate.

WAIT for the engine to cool down for a few hours before attempting to remove the cap.

1. If you live in warm weather climates (like I do in Florida), then you CAN safely add distilled water (ex SMART water) to our M8s. I added about 750mL of distilled SMART water and my car was fine with it. The warning indication immediately went away

2. Natural spring water and tap water are NOT recommended b/c they contain too many other minerals.

3. The BMW Part number of the coolant that my BMW dealership gave me is Part # 82141467704 "BMW Antifreeze/Coolant"

4. Buy a plastic funnel while you're at it.

5. Check for leaks. My car wasn't leaking on the driveway but one of the SA's mentioned that the M8 has some kind of catch plate underneath and it may not actually drip onto the pavement even if there is a leak. I looked around the cap and resevoir and saw all sorts of dried up coolant which I will have checked at my next service.

6. Secure the cap back into place with the two arrows kissing BEFORE turning the car on. I know there are some slick mechanics and YouTube car gurus that don't do this, but let's face it, most of us are not BMW engine magicians, so I err on the side of caution and my warranty.

7. Keep extra coolant and a bottle of distilled water in the trunk of your car; just in case.
Attached Images

Last edited by rajahfl; 01-29-2024 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Grammar, doh!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 05:09 PM   #13
Humy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition

Quote:

4,499km on the clock.
I got a similar message when starting car today w 7K miles, but no other warnings could be found after I started driving. I found that strange that there was no check engine light. I opened up cap last night and put in about 8 ounces of coolant. Message is now gone

Last edited by Humy; 03-20-2024 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0