M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 insurance

02-14-2020, 06:12 AM   #45
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

makes me grateful for USAA. they have no problem insuring all my vehicles including the $140k m850i convertible.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #46
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

Update: I went with Progressive. They took the M4 insurance I currently have and applied it to the M8 -- total yearly came out to be $1550 after I input the VIN with them. I'm good to go considering a bunch of other places wanted upwards of 4-5K
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:06 PM   #47
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Resurrecting this thread as unfortunately with all that was going on in April I just ended up renewing with Allstate for both my home and auto coverage. However, I know I'm getting absolutely fleeced and am now considering a mid-policy change if that is even possible, i.e., getting a credit out of Allstate for the unused months of the term (April through mid-October's renewal). Does anyone have experience with that regardless of the original carrier?

With COVID-19 in play and the reality being that people are not commuting, joy riding, etc. the time to strike is now. Based on the thread Chub and Progressive Direct may be my likely candidates. I absolutely had to laugh at the message I received from Allstate regarding their COVID-19 "pay back" with both the X5 and M850i sitting in the garage. Seriously a ~$190 credit on a combined $2500 auto policy covering April through October?

If I can now negotiate a new auto policy with an alternative carrier to be effective in July and get credit back from Allstate for July through October I'll be dumping their auto coverage like a bag of bricks. I will be making some calls to Chub and Progressive Direct tomorrow and/or Friday but would appreciate anyone else's experience with changing auto coverage in the middle of a policy term. Thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:32 PM   #48
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Resurrecting this thread as unfortunately with all that was going on in April I just ended up renewing with Allstate for both my home and auto coverage. However, I know I'm getting absolutely fleeced and am now considering a mid-policy change if that is even possible, i.e., getting a credit out of Allstate for the unused months of the term (April through mid-October's renewal). Does anyone have experience with that regardless of the original carrier?

With COVID-19 in play and the reality being that people are not commuting, joy riding, etc. the time to strike is now. Based on the thread Chub and Progressive Direct may be my likely candidates. I absolutely had to laugh at the message I received from Allstate regarding their COVID-19 "pay back" with both the X5 and M850i sitting in the garage. Seriously a ~$190 credit on a combined $2500 auto policy covering April through October?

If I can now negotiate a new auto policy with an alternative carrier to be effective in July and get credit back from Allstate for July through October I'll be dumping their auto coverage like a bag of bricks. I will be making some calls to Chub and Progressive Direct tomorrow and/or Friday but would appreciate anyone else's experience with changing auto coverage in the middle of a policy term. Thanks in advance for the help.
1) State Farm credited us 25% March-May and their rates were better than Allstate by far (have home, auto, umbrella etc w/them).
2) You should be able to change/cancel but enough notice must be given and you need to get new insurance first so there's no lapse in coverage.
3) On another note, the M850 is the only car we currently have that is leased, and I have 10k/36 mos and have driven it only 800 miles in 6 mos, wondering due to covid19 will BMW allow an exchange to 5000 per year? As we'll never come close to making 30,000 at this rate. Also wondering if they allow it, is it even worth it?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #49
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:

I understand there are numerous variables to any insurance product but still have to question the wide disparity of rates in this thread.

But it's crazy. Your $190 credit would almost pay for 50% of our M8 six month policy...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 03:20 PM   #50
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

if you can get USAA, they are great. if not, state farm or geico might be worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #51
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
I understand there are numerous variables to any insurance product but still have to question the wide disparity of rates in this thread.

But it's crazy. Your $190 credit would almost pay for 50% of our M8 six month policy...
I knew I was being fleeced but rather was just lazy adding the M850i to the existing Allstate policy and then not shopping in March for the April renewal. Plus, I've been waiting for my wife's last ticket to roll off with the 5-year gate so now I can easily state neither of us have had a ticket, claim, etc. in the past 5 years.

Quote from Progressive Direct aka online is eye wide opening. I even increased some of the coverage (liability) but have a lower overall deductible $500 vs $1K with Allstate. The quote breaks it down into overall policy coverage base for both cars, i.e., liability, uninsured motorists and underinsured mortorists at $329 for six months.

For the M850i I added the lease gap insurance (did not do so with Allstate) as frankly if that shit storm happens I was prepared for the self-insured route but I'll take $19 for 25% for six months no questions asked. Total 6 month premium on the M850i specific coverage above the base is $142. If I equally slice the base coverage across the X5 and M850i that puts the M850i 6 month premium at $307.

WTF Allstate? Sending an email with the quote to my Allstate agent dictating if they cannot match I'm buying the Progressive coverage for a July 1st start date and dropping the Allstate coverage on July 2nd. That either will wake them up or lose my business as I'll also include the home insurance will likely be dropped in my December renewal cycle for it as the heavy weight coverage, i.e., the watch collection (total coverage being worth more than the house) is already with Jewlers Mutual so I can switch the commodity coverage to Progressive, Farmers, State Farm, etc.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 06-11-2020 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #52
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Update on my end is my Allstate agent did come back with 2 quotes for alternative "new" policies vs my legacy but neither can touch Progressive Direct. One required their "big brother" DriveWise app and there is no way in hell I'm going to do that even if it was cheaper than Progressive. I did get a good quote from State Farm which was several hundred less than the new Allstate "traditional" quote (the other one was based on annual mileage and I'm not getting in that game). In it I specifically chose to not add their big brother discount aspect. However, at the end of the day it is still several hundreds of dollars more than Progressive Direct so once again a "no go".

My last remaining question (and looking for advice) is regarding the $0 deductible for glass when it comes to a BMW. With the HUD and all the other bells and whistles based on at least the X5 forum it is OEM or OE glass only and most insurance companies push back on that. The Progressive quote for a $500 comprehensive deductible with $0 for glass is $162 more per 6 months than without the $0 deductible for glass. The quandary is that over the last 10 plus years of Auto claims they have all been for glass given rock chips, etc. Knock on wood I've not have had to deal with that on my wife's X5 (with the HUD).

Thus, the question is whether if anyone with Progressive has had a BMW windshield (with at least the HUD or more toys like the M850i) replaced and did they do OEM/OE glass covered via either the standard Comprehensive deductible or the $0 glass coverage? I don't want to be paying for the $0 glass option if it will not be a reality for OEM/OE glass. In fact as long as OEM/OE glass is covered I'd likely roll the dice and just go with the standard $500 comprehensive deductible and pay it if needed for a windshield replacement on the M850i as 18 months "of the up charge" for $0 glass is basically the $500 deductible.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #53
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Update on my end is my Allstate agent did come back with 2 quotes for alternative "new" policies vs my legacy but neither can touch Progressive Direct. One required their "big brother" DriveWise app and there is no way in hell I'm going to do that even if it was cheaper than Progressive. I did get a good quote from State Farm which was several hundred less than the new Allstate "traditional" quote (the other one was based on annual mileage and I'm not getting in that game). In it I specifically chose to not add their big brother discount aspect. However, at the end of the day it is still several hundreds of dollars more than Progressive Direct so once again a "no go".

My last remaining question (and looking for advice) is regarding the $0 deductible for glass when it comes to a BMW. With the HUD and all the other bells and whistles based on at least the X5 forum it is OEM or OE glass only and most insurance companies push back on that. The Progressive quote for a $500 comprehensive deductible with $0 for glass is $162 more per 6 months than without the $0 deductible for glass. The quandary is that over the last 10 plus years of Auto claims they have all been for glass given rock chips, etc. Knock on wood I've not have had to deal with that on my wife's X5 (with the HUD).

Thus, the question is whether if anyone with Progressive has had a BMW windshield (with at least the HUD or more toys like the M850i) replaced and did they do OEM/OE glass covered via either the standard Comprehensive deductible or the $0 glass coverage? I don't want to be paying for the $0 glass option if it will not be a reality for OEM/OE glass. In fact as long as OEM/OE glass is covered I'd likely roll the dice and just go with the standard $500 comprehensive deductible and pay it if needed for a windshield replacement on the M850i as 18 months "of the up charge" for $0 glass is basically the $500 deductible.
We have zero deductible on glass as well on a $500 deductible.

Sorry, not a direct answer to your question but we have had a number of claims to show how well a company works when you actually need to use them.

In 2013 we had strong rain storms and we drove our few months old SL550 over a road with some deeper puddles (about 6" or so). This was at night, car was lowered and we ended pushing a wake (even at 15-20mph) which ended with some water in the intake.

Engine hydro-locked, $76k damage, $125k car. No water in the car anywhere, no flood damage to the car itself. Damage was below the the point of totaling it, but they did upon request as I was concerned about future gremlins due to corrosion on electronics.
This was done in no time with very little hassle...

Couple small accidents over the years (7 series and AMG GTC). Of course they like to recommend a body shop but its a recommendation only. We always use our Mercedes dealer bodyshop which happens to be the best in the state.
Zero push back. Only MB and BMW factory parts used. I would never allow a 3rd party product to be installed and they can't make you (at least here in MN)

My wife hit a traffic cone that ended up on the highway. Very minor damage, but over $8k worth.

Can't speak about other regions or possible future situations, but so far they have done well by me. After the GTC damage, the policy didn't increase for the next policy period either.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 08:44 PM   #54
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
We have zero deductible on glass as well on a $500 deductible.

Sorry, not a direct answer to your question but we have had a number of claims to show how well a company works when you actually need to use them.

In 2013 we had strong rain storms and we drove our few months old SL550 over a road with some deeper puddles (about 6" or so). This was at night, car was lowered and we ended pushing a wake (even at 15-20mph) which ended with some water in the intake.

Engine hydro-locked, $76k damage, $125k car. No water in the car anywhere, no flood damage to the car itself. Damage was below the the point of totaling it, but they did upon request as I was concerned about future gremlins due to corrosion on electronics.
This was done in no time with very little hassle...

Couple small accidents over the years (7 series and AMG GTC). Of course they like to recommend a body shop but its a recommendation only. We always use our Mercedes dealer bodyshop which happens to be the best in the state.
Zero push back. Only MB and BMW factory parts used. I would never allow a 3rd party product to be installed and they can't make you (at least here in MN)

My wife hit a traffic cone that ended up on the highway. Very minor damage, but over $8k worth.

Can't speak about other regions or possible future situations, but so far they have done well by me. After the GTC damage, the policy didn't increase for the next policy period either.
Thanks for the follow-up as it is truly appreciated. Given your history with Progressive regardless of the general financial statement that "past performance does not indicate future performance" it spoke volumes to me. It's somewhat akin to when one is using Trip Advisor to scout out hotels, etc. for a desired upcoming vacation. You can tell whom in the reviews (based on prior posts) are a bunch of "whiners" vs reality.

I've read a few horror stories regarding Progressive but have no way to judge the poster's validity in their statements. Your's on the other hand carry 100% weight as frankly you've owned more expensive cars historically than I have and given Progressive treated you right that's enough for me. Sure, my mileage may vary but the foundation is there so I'm all-in and the new policy with Progressive starts at 12:01 June 15th and I have already sent an email to my Allstate agent to cancel my insurance by EOD June 15th.

All said and done the credit on my Allstate policy through 10/20/2020 will literally pay for the new policy as well as two renewals.
Appreciate 1
Wolfman64811.50
      06-15-2020, 06:09 PM   #55
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

Does anyone know why Progressive is so good for the M8? I can't get another insurance company that comes close. Heck, half the ones I called up in my area (Commerce, State Farm, Amica, Geico) wouldn't even insure it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 07:29 PM   #56
DadzM8
Rep
Drives: 2020 Alpine White M8 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
Does anyone know why Progressive is so good for the M8? I can't get another insurance company that comes close. Heck, half the ones I called up in my area (Commerce, State Farm, Amica, Geico) wouldn't even insure it.
I have not looked at the entire thread so this may be redundant. Our broker got us insured through Erie. Accident forgiveness; full replacement or repair and usual 300k/300k limits. Quote was $1300/yr.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:16 AM   #57
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
While cheap, BMW's are still more expensive ti insure with Progressive. Our AMG GTC is 20% less to insure than the M8 but the pricier car...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #58
falb
M6GC
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP e60 M5, e39 M5, e39 540-6

As an aside...

For a 2017 Malibu LSV25 boat, Progressive was charging me $1,200 a year, finally quoted with Geico at $400 for the same coverage. I am switching.
#25 Algarve Pro Oreca LMP2 in ELMS
Appreciate 0