M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 insurance

02-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #23
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

USAA is one of, if not the best for product, service and rates. I am not former military but my Father served (WWII) and unfortunately he passed before I realized if he used USAA, we as family could also.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #24
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
USAA is one of, if not the best for product, service and rates. I am not former military but my Father served (WWII) and unfortunately he passed before I realized if he used USAA, we as family could also.
Agreed on USAA and same here as I wish I would have known what I know now as my Dad (Korean war veteran) could have qualified and opened up the path for us kids. Sadly he passed away without knowing the benefits which he could have taken advantage of as well as myself and siblings. To his credit he always shopped insurance and had the best rate possible for himself and my Mom. However, he did not know USAA was available to him as even I at the time thought you had to be active military to qualify.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #25
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Agreed on USAA and same here as I wish I would have known what I know now as my Dad (Korean war veteran) could have qualified and opened up the path for us kids. Sadly he passed away without knowing the benefits which he could have taken advantage of as well as myself and siblings. To his credit he always shopped insurance and had the best rate possible for himself and my Mom. However, he did not know USAA was available to him as even I at the time thought you had to be active military to qualify.
Ditto

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #26
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Thanks and truly appreciate the insight as normal logic states homeowners and auto insured by the same policy for lowest rates. Now that I know otherwise I'll consider separate policies in my March comparison including Chubb for the homeowners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Both AMG’s are cheaper than the BMW.
Almost embarrassed to post rates...
This my friend is due to Progressive's actuaries (aka bean counters) running the scenarios of repairs and current market cost for buyout in the case of a collision, etc. that totals the car. Obviously the AMGs are the clear winner in that calculation.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:18 PM   #27
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks and truly appreciate the insight as normal logic states homeowners and auto insured by the same policy for lowest rates. Now that I know otherwise I'll consider separate policies in my March comparison including Chubb for the homeowners.

This my friend is due to Progressive's actuaries (aka bean counters) running the scenarios of repairs and current market cost for buyout in the case of a collision, etc. that totals the car. Obviously the AMGs are the clear winner in that calculation.
We had the same scenario years back when our loaded S550 came in over 10% less than our previous 750. The Mercedes costs over $30k more and repair costs, etc. are same/lower for the BMW.
I was told that BMW drivers are in a higher risk category. More speeding tickets, more accidents, faster and more aggressive driving styles

In regards to bundling one would think that better rates would be the conclusion but that isn’t necessarily so.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #28
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Perfect record multiple cars home owned 100% and Michigan is terrible for no fault $1900 for six months Farm Bureau... pay $950 for 6 months for the X3Mc

Noushy
What part of Michigan are you from? Would be cool to get together this summer! Got a lot whole ///M squad up here
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #29
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was told that BMW drivers are in a higher risk category. More speeding tickets, more accidents, faster and more aggressive driving styles
Count me in on that as I bought the M850i to DILYSI when prudent to do so. Thankfully to date I do not have a single speeding ticket (thanks to Valentine One and the JBV1 app that integrates Waze crowd sourcing alerts, etc.).

In regards to prudent sadly both Montana and Wyoming have rescinded their "reasonable and prudent" speed limit laws on their highways or otherwise when I make a road trip to see my family in Colorado I would purposely spend some time in Wyoming just to let the M850i do it's thing as a high performance GT. Wind back the clock to the early 80's I sat in the passenger seat of my cousins' 74' Stingray with a 454 on I-25 during a trip to Cheyenne. It was sunny, few cars on the road and he let it rip. To this day I can still hear the glorious sound of that V8!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #30
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

I'm confused (from state of MA)

-Allstate quoted me an annual premium of $4122
-Progressive quoted me a semi-annual premium of $836, so $1672 annual

I don't understand the pricing difference for the same car and same coverage?
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #31
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Again, some of the prices here seems nuts!

Chubb is at the very top of insurances and they have no problem setting agreed pre-set values on cars, do $10M liability or $1M on uninsured drivers, etc.
This is where you insure Million Dollar cars...

Even Chubb was at under $2k a car a year.

In regards to Progressive, they were decent with us. This can only be measured when there is an actual claim and so far, they processed the claims well.

Example. We had a SL550's engine hydro-locked after heavy rains. Car was bone dry but I was pushing a small wake and water made it into the intake.
$125k car was 3 months old, damage was around $75k. Officially below the totaled limit but after my complaints about potential future electrical issues due to corrosion, they just totaled it.
There was never a question about using original Mercedes parts or having it repaired where I wanted.

When speaking with our insurance agent, she tried to give couple of examples off why to choose Chubb:

The Progressive Lease/Loan Payoff coverage will cover up to 25% of the difference between the actual cash value of the vehicle and what is left on the lease. You will be responsible for the remaining balance of the lease if the balance is more than 25% due.

Chubb Lease Gap coverage will provide you coverage if your vehicle is stolen or totally destroyed by a covered loss. Chubb will pay any unpaid amount due to the lease in excess of its market value including any security deposits applied to the unpaid amount due and not refunded by the lessor or any termination charge specified in your lease. Also, we will place agreed value on both vehicles which if there is a total loss, Chubb will pay the limit that is listed on the policy. This will insure you have adequate coverage on both vehicles and cover for the lease if there is a total loss.

The gap coverage with Progressive is indeed limiting but the BMW lease also provides gap coverage as part of the lease.

Hope his info helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #32
c^2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Chubb is at the very top of insurances and they have no problem setting agreed pre-set values on cars, do $10M liability or $1M on uninsured drivers, etc.

In regards to Progressive, they were decent with us. This can only be measured when there is an actual claim and so far, they processed the claims well.

Example. We had a SL550's engine hydro-locked after heavy rains. Car was bone dry but I was pushing a small wake and water made it into the intake.
$125k car was 3 months old, damage was around $75k. Officially below the totaled limit but after my complaints about potential future electrical issues due to corrosion, they just totaled it.
There was never a question about using original Mercedes parts or having it repaired where I wanted.

When speaking with our insurance agent, she tried to give couple of examples off why to choose Chubb:

The Progressive Lease/Loan Payoff coverage will cover up to 25% of the difference between the actual cash value of the vehicle and what is left on the lease. You will be responsible for the remaining balance of the lease if the balance is more than 25% due.

Chubb Lease Gap coverage will provide you coverage if your vehicle is stolen or totally destroyed by a covered loss. Chubb will pay any unpaid amount due to the lease in excess of its market value including any security deposits applied to the unpaid amount due and not refunded by the lessor or any termination charge specified in your lease. Also, we will place agreed value on both vehicles which if there is a total loss, Chubb will pay the limit that is listed on the policy. This will insure you have adequate coverage on both vehicles and cover for the lease if there is a total loss.

The gap coverage with Progressive is indeed limiting but the BMW lease also provides gap coverage as part of the lease.

Hope his info helps!

So basically, Allstate is price gouging me?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #33
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
Double post. Deleted
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #34
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are you actually asking? $4k for a single car?
Unless you have some crazy history like DWI's or other convictions, this sounds excessive...

Edit. It sounds excessive to me but I understand that different states can have very high rates.

Found this where they are breaking down the prices regionally...
https://www.thezebra.com/state-of-in.../#introduction

Last edited by Wolfman64; 02-12-2020 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #35
falb
M6GC
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP e60 M5, e39 M5, e39 540-6

Geico has been great and good rates for me. super easy app and all. $11k a year for six cars and three drivers, full coverage and 2,500 deductible, agreed value on two cars.
#25 Algarve Pro Oreca LMP2 in ELMS
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #36
c^2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you actually asking? $4k for a single car?
Unless you have some crazy history like DWI's or other convictions, this sounds excessive...

Edit. It sounds excessive to me but I understand that different states can have very high rates.

Found this where they are breaking down the prices regionally...
https://www.thezebra.com/state-of-in.../#introduction
According to Allstate - they claimed it was because the car was so "exotic"

I called Geico next - they told me they couldn't insure the car because it costs too much... never had that happen before!

Getting a lot of good feedback about Progressive - maybe I'll make the switch
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #37
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Let me guess that Allstate is your current insurance carrier. Correct? I learned a long time ago to shop insurance ever 3 years to get the best deal and 9 out of 10 times that will not result in the current carrier. You'll always get the best rates from a prospective carrier looking to win the business vs the incumbent. As for the 3 year mark that is due to all prospective new carriers want that time period of consistency and no claims filed.

I'm shopping in March for my April renewal with Allstate as had to wait out the time frame of a claim on my wife's prior car to the X5 so I can check that box off of no claims in the past 3 years. The ticket ensued as part of that claim still may hurt me but giving it a shot nonetheless and worse case I'll be stuck with Allstate for another 2 years (takes 5 for the driving history nullification).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #38
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Let me guess that Allstate is your current insurance carrier. Correct? I learned a long time ago to shop insurance ever 3 years to get the best deal and 9 out of 10 times that will not result in the current carrier. You'll always get the best rates from a prospective carrier looking to win the business vs the incumbent. As for the 3 year mark that is due to all prospective new carriers want that time period of consistency and no claims filed.

I'm shopping in March for my April renewal with Allstate as had to wait out the time frame of a claim on my wife's prior car to the X5 so I can check that box off of no claims in the past 3 years. The ticket ensued as part of that claim still may hurt me but giving it a shot nonetheless and worse case I'll be stuck with Allstate for another 2 years (takes 5 for the driving history nullification).
Arizona still shows as a low-insurance cost state. If I were you, I would simply check online on a carrier (not saying to try Progressive). Going through an agent will increase costs although they always say that agents get better rates. In our case we cut the policy cost by a significant amount (40%?) while improving the deductible. I was going from a Progressive-agent policy to Progressive-direct.

There is no need to report any tickets; they will do that assessment on their own.

Worth a try
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #39
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
We had the same scenario years back when our loaded S550 came in over 10% less than our previous 750. The Mercedes costs over $30k more and repair costs, etc. are same/lower for the BMW.

In regards to bundling one would think that better rates would be the conclusion but that isn’t necessarily so.
Interesting. My experience was reversed. I went from X5M to AMG E63s.

X5M was around $850 for 6 months. AMG is $1065 for 6 months. Both on Progressive with 250/500 and $1000 deductible.

An alternative to Chubb is Pure. They provide similar benefits such as agreed-upon value and exclusive use of OE parts. I was contemplating getting my policy through them, but ultimately it was just cost-prohibitive. The quote came in at $2305 for 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #40
falb
M6GC
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP e60 M5, e39 M5, e39 540-6

Quote:
I called Geico next - they told me they couldn't insure the car because it costs too much... never had that happen before!
That seems odd. Try getting a quote online. I went to Geico after USAA would not insure my McLaren because it was too expensive.
#25 Algarve Pro Oreca LMP2 in ELMS
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:49 PM   #41
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldpages View Post
Interesting. My experience was reversed. I went from X5M to AMG E63s.

X5M was around $850 for 6 months. AMG is $1065 for 6 months. Both on Progressive with 250/500 and $1000 deductible.

An alternative to Chubb is Pure. They provide similar benefits such as agreed-upon value and exclusive use of OE parts. I was contemplating getting my policy through them, but ultimately it was just cost-prohibitive. The quote came in at $2305 for 6 months.
Am Emerald Status with Progressive. Wonder how that makes a difference. Our E63s is less than a third...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #42
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Wolfman64 for some additional clarity is Progressive Direct also covering your homeowners insurance? Generally this offers the lowest rates on the automobile side so hence the inquiry. I'll be shopping for new insurance in March (auto is up for renewal in April) and roll in a credit on the homeowners (good through December) in the prospective deal.

Chubb sounds like Jeweler's Mutual in my watch world passion as they are one of two insurers on the market that will deal with a single item appraised at $100K+. My current Allstate homeowners jewelry rider covers the watches up to $50K but they will not even play in the game for the higher valued ones. On the flip side Jeweler's Mutual covers fully against loss or theft but for a couple of watches I've had to sign affidavits that I will not travel out of country with them.

My final hurrah on the car front will be a Lambo so good to know that Chubb exists in that world. Thanks for the info!

chubb, andd pure. both excellent insurers.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #43
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Hope his info helps!
Once again thank you and definitely looking at Chubb for my March shopping before the April renewal hits with Allstate!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:17 PM   #44
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
According to Allstate - they claimed it was because the car was so "exotic"

Getting a lot of good feedback about Progressive - maybe I'll make the switch
Missed this post initially so apologies on that. I had somewhat the same experience with Allstate. My M850i was ready for delivery on a Saturday. I called Allstate and the call was handled by their central customer service line as my agent's office was closed. I answered all the questions, e.g., VIN number, etc. and after a 10 minute hold the customer representative told me she could not add it to my policy as it is a high dollar valued vehicle (paraphrasing). She told me that only my agent could add it to the existing policy. So I shifted to a Monday delivery and called my agent first thing that morning and had it added to the policy. Apparently Allstate has some gating criteria on any vehicle over (I'm guessing) $100K.
Appreciate 0