M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Why The S560 Coupes Cost $19k More

02-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #23
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Who knows what they meant but I don't think they were referring to the GC. The Benz's back seat area is noticeably larger and much more comfortable (as are the fronts), it also has its own full climate control and even an optional fridge. It's just on another level comp'd to the 8, hence the $19k diff, but as I'd mentioned earlier here some of the MB standard features would be nice as options on the 8's.
Holy crap! Did not even know that was an option. Thankfully my EMBA brethren likely do not as well or otherwise they will roast me for that fact during the football season tailgating.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #24
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Who knows what they meant but I don't think they were referring to the GC. The Benz's back seat area is noticeably larger and much more comfortable (as are the fronts), it also has its own full climate control and even an optional fridge. It's just on another level comp'd to the 8, hence the $19k diff, but as I'd mentioned earlier here some of the MB standard features would be nice as options on the 8's.
Yeah the S-Class coupe is definitely a different level. I would say the 8 is like a tweener between an E/CLS and S, as its closer in size to an E, but not quite on the level of luxury and refinement of an S despite 8>7 and pricing is right between the two. In my opinion, the 8 is just a rebadged 6 which was always a 5 coupe but with materials/quality being a step up but not quite that of a 7-series, not that its bad thing as its still a good car, but its just the number system for BMW seems to be getting worse and worse and more confusing. Like what exactly makes this car more of an 8 than a 6?
      02-10-2020, 08:37 PM   #25
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Yeah the S-Class coupe is definitely a different level. I would say the 8 is like a tweener between an E/CLS and S, as its closer in size to an E, but not quite on the level of luxury and refinement of an S despite 8>7 and pricing is right between the two. In my opinion, the 8 is just a rebadged 6 which was always a 5 coupe but with materials/quality being a step up but not quite that of a 7-series, not that its bad thing as its still a good car, but its just the number system for BMW seems to be getting worse and worse and more confusing. Like what exactly makes this car more of an 8 than a 6?
Hmm. I can only speak about our M8 which is two steps up from a regular 7 series IMO. I’d take a S-class over a 7 series any day and our M compares to the S-class with exclusive Nappa interior.

Our E-class is a step down from the M8 in terms of interior as well and that’s a well appointed car (more than double the price of a E450).
I find a regular 7 series uninspiring unless one springs for an individual interior at which time BMW really shines...

Recently saw pics of a 760 individual and that car was outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #26
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:
Hmm. I can only speak about our M8 which is two steps up from a regular 7 series IMO. I'd take a S-class over a 7 series any day and our M compares to the S-class with exclusive Nappa interior.

Our E-class is a step down from the M8 in terms of interior as well and that's a well appointed car (more than double the price of a E450)
Oh yeah, thats why I said the 8 is between an E/CLS and S, because while its the size of an E-Class its more premium, but not as much as an S, hence why the price is between the two, but I'm comparing regular models, haven't sat in the M8 yet, I assume its richer though in quality, but the same could be said for an S63.
      02-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #27
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh yeah, thats why I said the 8 is between an E/CLS and S, because while its the size of an E-Class its more premium, but not as much as an S, hence why the price is between the two, but I'm comparing regular models, haven't sat in the M8 yet, I assume its richer though in quality, but the same could be said for an S63.
I love the S-coupe to be sure; to me a very classy car. I could just never justify getting the coupe over the sedan due to the difference is lease pricing. The coupe would easily be $1k more a month for just a $25k delta (due to non-sub vented MF rates for the coupe and lower RV).

The cab on the other hand is not a great convertible (as most 4 seaters)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #28
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I love the S-coupe to be sure; to me a very classy car. I could just never justify getting the coupe over the sedan due to the difference is lease pricing. The coupe would easily be $1k more a month for just a $25k delta (due to non-sub vented MF rates for the coupe and lower RV).

Yeah, Merc leases aren't as good as BMW's sadly, BMW really pushes and incentives them heavily, I pay more for the CLS than I did my 5-series, but it just puts a bigger smile on my face and I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay for it and enjoy a car this nice so its all worth it in the end. I definitely want to check out the E-Cabrio and E-Wagon for my next one though, but may up just financing instead of leasing, but I might try to do it earlier since the leaked facelift doesn't look good.

Last edited by stein_325i; 02-10-2020 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #29
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:

Yes leases are not the way to go, we paid outright, kept the mileage down, had a great sales mgr to work with, and sold both well before the facelift came out.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:59 PM   #30
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes leases are not the way to go, we paid outright, kept the mileage down, had a great sales mgr to work with, and sold both well before the facelift came out.

Used to buy outright but in hindsight burned too much money. In the end we always paid more than leasing.
The S-Class sedan leases are subvented and lease ok. MF is well below BMW rates (currently at .00070) whereas the coupe MF is around .0028.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #31
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, Merc leases aren't as good as BMW's sadly, BMW really pushes and incentives them heavily, I pay more for the CLS than I did my 5-series, but it just puts a bigger smile on my face and I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay for it and enjoy a car this nice so its all worth it in the end. I definitely want to check out the E-Cabrio and E-Wagon for my next one though, but may up just financing instead of leasing, but I might try to do it earlier since the leaked facelift doesn't look good.
Wagons are cool. Strongly suggest to try the cab first. We always had SL's which are very good top-down cars. Going 160mph top down is no problem; you don't have to raise your voice...
Same with the AMG GTC.

Wanted to try out a cab and rented a S560 cab in Germany and drove it for a couple thousand miles. Just too much wind buffeting for my taste, even with the Air-Cap up.
Solid cars though; very composed at top speed as well...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #32
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Used to buy outright but in hindsight burned too much money. In the end we always paid more than leasing.
The S-Class sedan leases are subvented and lease ok. MF is well below BMW rates (currently at .00070) whereas the coupe MF is around .0028.
We adhered to very specific color choices and options, always Iridium Silver w/ Bengal Red/Black exclusive, AMG Pkg etc. mileage was kept under 5k. We are uber meticulous in the care of our cars, well everything for that matter, and the dealer knows it. When we would get a new one ours would be gone w/in 48 hrs, the dealer always had someone waiting for them and we got top $ (plus very strong discounts up front), so it all worked out far better for us than leasing in the end (never used funds that were earmarked for anything beyond cash, not investing). With that said I don't have that kind of relationship with the BMW dealership, as it's been years since the new 95 M3 I bought (still miss that thing, it was bullet proof with 0 issues and tight as a drum). Both the GM and GSM of the MB store have moved on to brighter pastures and I doubt I'd be able to replicate what i was able to do previously. But if I were to get another S Coupe (before they go way of the dodo), it would still not be leased for the reasons you stated earlier in the thread, once again purchased but held for the longer run and maybe never sold. I would also most likely do an S63 coupe this time since they recently got a much needed better trans and the panamericana style grille that came along with the other facelift stuff which looks superb.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0