M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Why The S560 Coupes Cost $19k More

02-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Why The S560 Coupes Cost $19k More

Now that I've owned both the MB S Coupe and M850, here's what the S Coupe offers standard (for $19k more) that the M8/850's do not have/offer.

1. Acoustic Glass
  2. Glass Roof With Power Shade
  3. Power Rear Window Shade
  4. Air Suspension
  5. Front End Lift Button for steep drives/ parking bumpers etc
  6. Massaging Seats
  7. Infrared Glass
  8. Perforated and D-Shaped Steering Wheel
  9. Auto Dimming Passenger Mirror
  10. Pillarless Design (very expensive to build and amazing to look at with all 4 windows down)
  11. Seat belt extenders

I do miss having #'s 1,2,5,6,8,9,10 and 11, it would be nice if these were offered as options (save for #10) for our beloved M8/850's .

If anyone would like to know my thoughts on the day/day driving of the MB vs the M850, I'll be happy to post.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 02-09-2020 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Why The S560 Coupes Cost $19k More

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Now that I've owned both the MB S Coupe and M850, here's what the S Coupe offers standard (for $19k more) that the M8/850's do not have/offer.

1. Acoustic Glass
  2. Glass Roof With Power Shade
  3. Power Rear Window Shade
  4. Air Suspension
  5. Front End Lift Button for steep drives/ parking bumpers etc
  6. Massaging Seats
  7. Infrared Glass
  8. Perforated Steering Wheel
  9. Auto Dimming Passenger Mirror
  10. Pillarless Design (very expensive to build and amazing to look at with all 4 windows down)

I do miss having #'s 1,2,5,6,8,9 and 10 and it would be nice if these were offered as options (save for #10) for our beloved M8/850's .

If anyone would like to know my thoughts on the day/day driving of the MB vs the M850, I'll be happy to post.
yes, I'd love to know. because I price compared and the m850i was cheaper, so I bought it. However in 4 years, I'll probably be looking at a true m8 or the Mercedes S560 amg.

so please message me or post any other differences you find for me please. honestly I thought it was MBusa just over charging for less horsepower.
and the 3 MB salesmen couldn't help me. where the BMW sales agent went above and beyond to tell me why the m850i was cheaper and better.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I do miss having #'s 1,2,5,6,8,9 and 10 and it would be nice if these were offered as options (save for #10) for our beloved M8/850's .

I think #2 is available on the M850i GC in the moonroof format but not sure about the power shade. My wife's X5 has the panoramic moonroof and it does have a full power shade but not sure if equivalent to the MB S Coupe.

#5 is a must have and before I had to discount a Corvette C8 from my list it was one feature I thought was valuable. Also, more so is if a L2 or L3 package it has a set of dedicated front-end cameras to show you the true viewpoint of the front-end splitter to ensure you don't hit parking bumpers, etc. On the M850i that is an orange line that does not always show up within the greyed out area of the 3D view system.

#6 translates to the BMW DK from my perspective, i.e., a bit gimmicky but in the end likely way more useful as although I'd likely never use the feature I can picture my wife doing so every time she's in the car.

#9 as mentioned before I had not even noticed that but is totally ridiculous as my 2006 GS430 had that as standard.

I for one would appreciate the day to day driving comparison. Although I'm out of the market for now if there is any pattern to my postings here it is likely I forever research the next buy (even if it takes me 10+ years to pull the trigger). However, with the M850i I did a 3-year lease as with the MF and MSDs it provided the best path forward. The plan for now is to either buy it out at the end of the lease (write a check for the residual or more likely the plan for a close friend to buy it after turn in as I expect the residual to be a joke vs current market value). Other options are to turn it in and pick up a M8/M8C CPO or start over which your day-to-day experience in the M850i vs S Coupe comes into play.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
yes, I'd love to know. because I price compared and the m850i was cheaper, so I bought it. However in 4 years, I'll probably be looking at a true m8 or the Mercedes S560 amg.

so please message me or post any other differences you find for me please. honestly I thought it was MBusa just over charging for less horsepower.
and the 3 MB salesmen couldn't help me. where the BMW sales agent went above and beyond to tell me why the m850i was cheaper and better.
The SCoupe is truly elegant, yet a bruiser weighing in at nearly 5,000 lbs (about 400 more than the 8), I for one don't care about these big GT's being heavy and the more girth the more safer we feel. The interior appointments in the MB are a step or two, or even three above the BMW. The spirited driving dynamics of the M850 is superior, but for day/day cruising the MB is hard to beat. The MB's cabin is also much quieter and the car feels like it's built out of a solid piece of metal. I wish the MB offered non-run flats on the 560's like the 850's do (which I have) as the nrf's make a world of difference especially being Pilot Sport 4's. Driving a pillarless coupe with all four windows down is something special to experience, and look at, and as mentioned very expensive to produce. I really miss the massaging seats and the power lift button for the front end. Why the 8's don't have a self dimming psngr. mirror is just ridiculous, let alone at this price point, WTF BMW? My SC's were both 550's and I've also driven the 560's, both are more than adequate power wise and my 17 had the 9G trans which is a huge improvement over the previous 7G and every bit as good as BMW's 8 spd if not a bit better. It's been reported by various sources the big MB coupes won't be around after 2021 and that would be a shame. I for one am sick of all the SUV's and trucks, as they are now ad nauseam, but help to make the big coupes really stand out. Hope this helps.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I think #2 is available on the M850i GC in the moonroof format but not sure about the power shade. My wife's X5 has the panoramic moonroof and it does have a full power shade but not sure if equivalent to the MB S Coupe.

#5 is a must have and before I had to discount a Corvette C8 from my list it was one feature I thought was valuable. Also, more so is if a L2 or L3 package it has a set of dedicated front-end cameras to show you the true viewpoint of the front-end splitter to ensure you don't hit parking bumpers, etc. On the M850i that is an orange line that does not always show up within the greyed out area of the 3D view system.

#6 translates to the BMW DK from my perspective, i.e., a bit gimmicky but in the end likely way more useful as although I'd likely never use the feature I can picture my wife doing so every time she's in the car.

#9 as mentioned before I had not even noticed that but is totally ridiculous as my 2006 GS430 had that as standard.

I for one would appreciate the day to day driving comparison. Although I'm out of the market for now if there is any pattern to my postings here it is likely I forever research the next buy (even if it takes me 10+ years to pull the trigger). However, with the M850i I did a 3-year lease as with the MF and MSDs it provided the best path forward. The plan for now is to either buy it out at the end of the lease (write a check for the residual or more likely the plan for a close friend to buy it after turn in as I expect the residual to be a joke vs current market value). Other options are to turn it in and pick up a M8/M8C CPO or start over which your day-to-day experience in the M850i vs S Coupe comes into play.
See my comp above. The massaging seats are not a gimmick and work really well, we used them a lot and miss them.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
All pricing strategy.

While many complain about the high price of the 8 series, the car is heavily discounted here in the US.

In Germany, the M850 coupe base price is only 1,700 Euros cheaper than the base S560 Coupe.
In Germany, the M8c base price is actually higher than the AMG GT63s! Over here, the M8c is $16k cheaper...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
See my comp above. The massaging seats are not a gimmick and work really well, we used them a lot and miss them.
Thanks for the write up and I likely missed it before posting as I was in the process of authoring my reply to your original post. I too have read that the S Coupe as well as 8 series coupe are on the chopping block. A truly sad state of affairs but at least here in the US it appears 4-doors, pickups and SUVs rule the market.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
The SCoupe is truly elegant, yet a bruiser weighing in at nearly 5,000 lbs (about 400 more than the 8), I for one don't care about these big GT's being heavy and the more girth the more safer we feel. The interior appointments in the MB are a step or two, or even three above the BMW. The spirited driving dynamics of the M850 is superior, but for day/day cruising the MB is hard to beat. The MB's cabin is also much quieter and the car feels like it's built out of a solid piece of metal. I wish the MB offered non-run flats on the 560's like the 850's do (which I have) as the nrf's make a world of difference especially being Pilot Sport 4's. Driving a pillarless coupe with all four windows down is something special to experience, and look at, and as mentioned very expensive to produce. I really miss the massaging seats and the power lift button for the front end. Why the 8's don't have a self dimming psngr. mirror is just ridiculous, let alone at this price point, WTF BMW? My SC's were both 550's and I've also driven the 560's, both are more than adequate power wise and my 17 had the 9G trans which is a huge improvement over the previous 7G and every bit as good as BMW's 8 spd if not a bit better. It's been reported by various sources the big MB coupes won't be around after 2021 and that would be a shame. I for one am sick of all the SUV's and trucks, as they are now ad nauseam, but help to make the big coupes really stand out. Hope this helps.

To be sure, nobody beats the S-Coupe greenhouse. Luxurious and airy.
Magic sky (electro-chromatic glass roof) is the icing on the cake...
Even like the fragrance.
Unfortunately neither a glass roof, massage or fragrance is available in the M.

Agree on the SUV's/trucks. Unbelievable that MB roadster sales are lost not to other brands like BMW, etc. but to SUV's/crossovers. Crazy times...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

convertible

so my m850i is a convertible, so all the windows go down. so it's same pilarless on both for me. and I don't drive it every day or very far, so I'm more concerned with looks and feel.
I appreciate your advice and help.

I did like the more sporty m850i, kinda like a poor man's Ferrari. which I really liked.
although getting older (40 now), and probably close to 50 when I replace my m850i; so I might favor more comfortable ride at that point and go for the MB.

I've got the 20" runflats on m850i. and I'm seriously considering putting Michalen All seasons non-run flat tires on.
I'd been on the fence, but I think you convinced me to upgrade/downgrade to the Non-RSC regular tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
To be sure, nobody beats the S-Coupe greenhouse. Luxurious and airy.
Magic sky (electro-chromatic glass roof) is the icing on the cake...
Even like the fragrance.
Unfortunately neither a glass roof, massage or fragrance is available in the M.

Agree on the SUV's/trucks. Unbelievable that MB roadster sales are lost not to other brands like BMW, etc. but to SUV's/crossovers. Crazy times...
Good catch, forgot about magic sky, had it on my 16 and did not order on the 17 as it created halo effects at times, but very cool tech nonetheless. The new SL should be really nice from what I've seen thus far, but the folding metal roof will be missed although contrasting colors of the new soft top will be nice.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #11
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so my m850i is a convertible, so all the windows go down. so it's same pilarless on both for me. and I don't drive it every day or very far, so I'm more concerned with looks and feel.

I did like the more sporty m850i, kinda like a poor man's Ferrari. which I really liked.
although getting older (40 now), and probably close to 50 when I replace my m850i; so I might favor more comfortable ride at that point and go for the MB.

I've got the 20" runflats on m850i. and I'm seriously considering putting Michalen All seasons non-run flat tires on.
I'd been on the fence, but I think you convinced me to upgrade/downgrade to the Non-RSC regular tires.
Yes on the verts with the top up and all four windows down produces a similar look. The ride of the 850 on nrf's is truly sublime in comfort mode and the Michelin Pilot S4's simply cannot be beat.

Appreciate 1
      02-01-2020, 09:29 PM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes on the verts with the top up and all four windows down produces a similar look. The ride of the 850 on nrf's is truly sublime in comfort mode and the Michelin Pilot S4's simply cannot be beat.
yeah, I think you sold me on getting the non- run flats.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:19 PM   #13
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Driving a pillarless coupe with all four windows down is something special to experience, and look at, and as mentioned very expensive to produce.
Yes! This is one of my favorite all time features of Mercedes' larger coupes from the w124, the CLK, CL, and now E and S coupe. I had a loaner E450 coupe and I loved the lack of the b-pillar as it kind of felt similar to having a convertible in a sense (something I've really missed), not to mention above all else it just looks cool as hell and something you don't see featured on coupes anymore. Kind of wish the 8-series would have it again (like the original 8-series coupe) but I understand why it doesn't include it due to structural rigidity and costs, but it sure is cool.

02-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #14
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Thanks for the comments, @RJC-1. I was at the M-B dealer a few years ago to check out the new E class, but the S coupe caught my eye and I drove it instead and just loved it. Further researched showed that those cars depreciate worse than just about anything else, except maybe a Buick sedan...

The 8 series also depreciates worse than most BMWs, something about the big luxury cars really scares people I think, but I still don't think it's as bad as the Mercedes.

I test drove an M850i convertible last year, and I thought the ride quality was excellent. I was expecting 6 series comfort, and it was worlds better. I'd love to hear actual owners' comments on the ride compared to 7 series (or whatever else you've owned) and of course, the S-class. I may be tempted to pick up one of those, pre-owned.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #15
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Thanks for the comments, @RJC-1. I was at the M-B dealer a few years ago to check out the new E class, but the S coupe caught my eye and I drove it instead and just loved it. Further researched showed that those cars depreciate worse than just about anything else, except maybe a Buick sedan...

The 8 series also depreciates worse than most BMWs, something about the big luxury cars really scares people I think, but I still don't think it's as bad as the Mercedes.

I test drove an M850i convertible last year, and I thought the ride quality was excellent. I was expecting 6 series comfort, and it was worlds better. I'd love to hear actual owners' comments on the ride compared to 7 series (or whatever else you've owned) and of course, the S-class. I may be tempted to pick up one of those, pre-owned.
I paid for both of our new S Coupes outright, but due to the large discount given, ultra low mileage we put on, and great sales manager, and selling them both before the facelift came out we did quite a bit better than if we'd leased. However, for most, I would suggest leasing and/or buying second hand as you are contemplating. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the S coupes offer far more standard equipment but it costs. I wish some of that equipment were at least optional on the 8's, but I doubt that will happen, as there's increasing talk they may not even survive past 2021 due to the new cost cutting/CEO. On a side note, cost cutting takes 0 talent, wish my profession was that easy lol...

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #16
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I would think that the 8 series, aside from being the "flagship" model, would generate huge profits per unit. Granted, they probably don't sell many compared to the 3 series, but certainly more than the ridiculous X6/X7 and especially those horrible GT things.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #17
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

S class

I drove an s class. In my opinion it was more luxurious, the Mercedes felt like my living room leather recliner.
I bought the M850i because it was cheaper and felt like my old leather couch on top of a Porsche. And being a bigger guy, I fit better in my Bmw than a 911.

But even still, the sclass is all luxuries.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #18
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It appears the end is indeed near....how sad.
https://drivetribe.com/p/mercedes-ab..._campaign=main

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #19
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
It appears the end is indeed near....how sad.
https://drivetribe.com/p/mercedes-ab..._campaign=main
Makes sense, these were always very low volume sellers, not to mention Mercedes has many coupes from the S-Class to the SL and AMG GT and even the E-Class which is more in the same size range as the 8-series.

I'm thinking the next SL will likely take the S-Class Coupe/Vert's place in the lineup, since its always been a luxury GT, although it likely won't come as a coupe. In my opinion, the AMG GT has been outshining Grandpa's SL for years.

I think the rumor for BMW is that the 8-series (other than possibly the Gran Coupe) will likely not receive a successor. Could possibly happen since the current CEO is planning on reducing models and costs and increasing profits and focusing on adding EV's in the lineup
      02-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #20
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I also think the profit margin on the big S class coupes is not that great (very expensive to make and more of a halo car so to speak). The new SL wont take the place of the w217's according to the article, as they will have no usable back seat.

If I hadn't already had two of these, I'd get another in the last year pf production.

The latest S63 coupes are not only super lux, but significant performers especially considering their girth.

Last edited by RJC-1; 02-09-2020 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Only issue I see with the article is the quote "If you want a comfortable grand tourer with usable back seats in the distant future then I'm afraid you will have to look elsewhere at the offerings of BMW and Bentley. The 8 Series is undoubtedly brilliant whilst the Continental GT is simply awesome, however, it would still be epic to see Mercedes return to the segment with a refreshed competitor." Assuming the author meant the 8-series GC as in the total parallel with the S Coupe the BMW does not have usable back seats. Granted I've never been in a S Coupe so not sure if you can fit an adult back there.

In my M850i coupe the backseat's sole purpose is to take care of a box of Kleenex, the sun visor (requirement here in AZ) and an Adam's Single Soft Microfiber Towel (used for minor touch up drying the detailer misses). I absolutely never expect to sit an adult in the backseat and if there is a requirement for more than 2 passengers that is where my wife's X5 comes into play.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #22
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Who knows what they meant but I don't think they were referring to the GC. The Benz's back seat area is noticeably larger and much more comfortable (as are the fronts), it also has its own full climate control and even an optional fridge. It's just on another level comp'd to the 8, hence the $19k diff, but as I'd mentioned earlier here some of the MB standard features would be nice as options on the 8's.

Appreciate 0