M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion piggyback chips

01-23-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I read another forum x5 driver that had a GTS racechip that the ECU learned and didn't pull on repeatedly runs. apparently he strapped it to a dyno and ran it 3 times and after each time the HP&TRQ dropped hard.

Does anyone notice this on the m850i or m8 with a piggyback?
does the stock bmw ecu "learn and adjust" ?
or did they just not know how to dyno awd?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #2
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I have never had this issue with my RC on the F90 (over 2 years) or now the M8.

I have no doubt limey is clean of issues too with his over extensive use of piggy tunes limeypride
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I have never had this issue with my RC on the F90 (over 2 years) or now the M8.

I have no doubt limey is clean of issues too with his over extensive use of piggy tunes limeypride
Thanks for the callout, Vic.

I've used JB4s for over 10 years on some 12 or 13 cars and I've never experienced anything like that. In fact, while the JB4 is more customizable—more advanced in many respects—at a fundamental level, they work in the same way so I fail to see how the proposed root cause could happen to one piggy and not the other. My guess is there's something else going on there.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #4
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Not to highjack the thread but would you gents install the RC before break in service?
      01-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #5
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Not to highjack the thread but would you gents install the RC before break in service?
No. I'd install the JB4 afterwards.

Installs are the same. JB4 nets faster acceleration and offers customization... or not if so preferred.

App looks as below and each tile can be customized. However, since it ships defaulted to map 1, you don't need the app. Most, however, enjoy using the simple pieces of the app—map switching being the most obvious. If you ever hand your car to a valet, set the valet map (8) which effectively disables boost reducing engine power dramatically.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
xmanpro2939.50
      01-24-2021, 12:37 PM   #6
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
I did mine prior on the F90 (like 154 miles in)---- I rocked that car from day one with proper oil temps and rolled up and down the rpm cycle gear to gear but never holding it long up top. I like to call it a hard break in and have done with all my cars except the M8 because I bought it with 1700 miles. In fact Ive tuned all my M cars pre break in service but the E39 M5 (no tune then) and this car now.

I done over 100 ecu tunes (variations on many cars) and have always tuned rather quickly- 100 to 200 miles in. Its what "I" do and Im not say it's what everyone should do. I have not had one single engine issue related to the tune(s) on any of these cars. I have had warranty work but thats for other items.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
xmanpro2939.50
      01-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No I wouldn't do it before break in on a true "m" car, like m8. However for a production car like m850i, I choose not to but it's certainly possible and I would if You wanted to do it.
My m850i has 3k miles, but homes there isn't much different from 1k to 3k on the base cars.
The "m" cars have different setups.
Appreciate 3
FBMWWINS603.50
limeypride4418.50
xmanpro2939.50
      01-25-2021, 09:46 PM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Hmm.
I've dyno'ed my 2020 X3MC 4 different sessions and about 6-8 pulls each time, number is consistent.

I also did dyno on 2020 X5MC 2 sessions about 6-8 pulls per session, numbers are consistent.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
xmanpro2939.50
      01-27-2021, 09:19 AM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Hmm.
I've dyno'ed my 2020 X3MC 4 different sessions and about 6-8 pulls each time, number is consistent.

I also did dyno on 2020 X5MC 2 sessions about 6-8 pulls per session, numbers are consistent.
I found the guy's thread, and apparently you already said it was probably a tricked dyno!
thanks!

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1629850
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      02-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #10
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Running a Racechip on my M850i with no such issues. It works well.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12801.50
      02-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #11
MJO316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 '17 i8

I'm deciding still between the JB4 and Racechip. The JB4 seems like a lot of wires and too messy. Wonder just how close performance wise they are.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOrtiz316 View Post
I'm deciding still between the JB4 and Racechip. The JB4 seems like a lot of wires and too messy. Wonder just how close performance wise they are.
It's close but numerically close in a 0-60 and 1/4 mile doesn't reflect the distance between the two cars from a launch. JB4 wins.

Install is identical if you only use the JB4's Racechip-equivalent functionality.

However, the JB4 can also take direct control of the wastegates and will use OBD II telemetry in real-time to optimize performance.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12801.50
      02-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #13
MJO316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
It's close but numerically close in a 0-60 and 1/4 mile doesn't reflect the distance between the two cars from a launch. JB4 wins.

Install is identical if you only use the JB4's Racechip-equivalent functionality.

However, the JB4 can also take direct control of the wastegates and will use OBD II telemetry in real-time to optimize performance.
Quote:
Quote:

So in your opinion JB4 is the way to go? The little
remove and plug-in thing the Race-chip comes with when you bring it in for service is a big selling point. I can install neither myself anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 09:42 AM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

remove and plug-in thing the Race-chip comes with when you bring it in for service is a big selling point. I can install neither myself anyway.
Yes, JB4 is objectively faster—I tested them both back to back in my M8 over the course of 3 days.

The bypass doesn't remove the piggyback harness cabling. Frankly, if you're worried about making and having BMW reject a warranty claim because of the tune, you should be. But removing these devices even completely doesn't prevent them from retroactively being detected so I'd argue any bypass attempt—HW, SW or otherwise—to hide the tune is futile. BMW record performance metrics as well as ECU/TCU engine/transmission telemetry and persist it across the vehicle's entire lifetime.

You can't hide these things anymore. If BMW want to know, they can indeed know with or without the device or flash still in place.

As we love to say on these forums, you pay to play... and this closing discussion here is the price.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #15
PappadocM8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Convertible

I just ordered the Racechip on my M8 for simplicity. -5 degrees in Chicago now so I'm gonna wait a bit to install!

I had the JB4 on my Audi and had nothing but problems with firmware, settings, CELs, and had to manually put it on l. Power gains were minimal and I had to use a blend of e85 to see any real difference. Seems like I was and am in the minority though.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      02-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappadoc33 View Post
I just ordered the Racechip on my M8 for simplicity. -5 degrees in Chicago now so I'm gonna wait a bit to install!

I had the JB4 on my Audi and had nothing but problems with firmware, settings, CELs, and had to manually put it on l. Power gains were minimal and I had to use a blend of e85 to see any real difference. Seems like I was and am in the minority though.
Sorry to hear that, but yes, you're in the minority from my perspective. I've used them for almost a decade on 13 or so cars.

That said, the Racechip provides good power gains so win win.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      02-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #17
MJO316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, JB4 is objectively faster—I tested them both back to back in my M8 over the course of 3 days.

The bypass doesn't remove the piggyback harness cabling. Frankly, if you're worried about making and having BMW reject a warranty claim because of the tune, you should be. But removing these devices even completely doesn't prevent them from retroactively being detected so I'd argue any bypass attempt—HW, SW or otherwise—to hide the tune is futile. BMW record performance metrics as well as ECU/TCU engine/transmission telemetry and persist it across the vehicle's entire lifetime.

You can't hide these things anymore. If BMW want to know, they can indeed know with or without the device or flash still in place.

As we love to say on these forums, you pay to play... and this closing discussion here is the price.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The engine records will show it. I mean I don't feel like walking in after my oil change and hearing "we saw you've got blank hooked up to the engine" yada yada. If something goes it goes. I'm talking about dealing with nonsense before anything fails. Race-chip warranties for $10,000. Who knows if that's legit. I only use 93 octane. I'm not going to have any other mods done besides the resonator pulled if it's still that much better I'll definitely change course.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      02-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #18
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The engine records will show it. I mean I don't feel like walking in after my oil change and hearing "we saw you've got blank hooked up to the engine" yada yada. If something goes it goes. I'm talking about dealing with nonsense before anything fails. Race-chip warranties for $10,000. Who knows if that's legit. I only use 93 octane. I'm not going to have any other mods done besides the resonator pulled if it's still that much better I'll definitely change course.
Your call. I think you've already made your mind up.

Burger offers no warranty (I'm not convinced Racechip do either but you never know).
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      02-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #19
MJO316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Burger offers no warranty (I'm not convinced Racechip do either but you never know).
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Map switching? You can't do so without a computer? It's confusing I looked at their app there is no option.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      02-14-2021, 01:49 PM   #20
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
Running a Racechip on my M850i with no such issues. It works well.
Thank you so much.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      02-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #21
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Map switching? You can't do so without a computer? It's confusing I looked at their app there is no option.
Whose app? Both allow you to map switch from your phone. Did I misunderstand you?

PS: if you're talking about the JB4 app, then you're miles away from reality. It lets you tweak things to your heart's content, e.g. individual boost targets per 500-RPM increment or subtract from the boost target but only in 1st and|or 2nd and|or 3rd or use valet mode which effectively turns the V8 into something naturally aspirated... the list goes on.

To switch maps, simply double tap:
Attached Images

Last edited by limeypride; 02-14-2021 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0