M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8/M850's do not mess with the new Shelby GT500

01-23-2021, 12:38 AM   #1
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

M8/M850's do not mess with the new Shelby GT500

Go to 4:30 and see why...wow!

Have no idea if both cars are stock

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-23-2021 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:00 AM   #2
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quick answer is that the Shelby is nowhere close to stock

Prepped track is one thing, street another...M8 will win from a stop but these cars are very fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:27 AM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

We also don't know if the turbo s was either but it's trap speed seemed to indicate may be. Remarkable thing was even after giant initial lead by the turbo, the Shelby easily reeled it in. 150 mph trap is incredibly fast even for a modded street car.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

its definitely modded--- there are other videos with the GT500 going stock to stock against the M8 CE Coupe and the M8 beats it off the dig (duh) and wins the quarter but loses the rolling race of course as hp and weight are keys here. The Porsche is not stock either of course.

A more relevant race

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

My point is modding the ~$80k Shelby unleashes a real monster that seems to annihilate most other challengers. The fact it reeled in that potentially modded turbo s after it had such a commanding lead was beyond impressive. It's also America's version of the M8C and vice versa. We should all be proud the USA is still making these kinds of cars. Personally I can't wait for the new naturally aspirated flat plane crank C8 ZO6.

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-23-2021 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      01-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
My point is modding the ~$80k Shelby unleashes a real monster that seems to annihilate most other challengers. The fact it reeled in that potentially modded turbo s after it had such a commanding lead was beyond impressive. It's also America's version of the M8C and vice versa. We should all be proud ����is still making these kinds of cars. Personally I can't wait for the new naturally aspirated flat plane crank C8 ZO6.
Yeah I get that for sure.... we all could afford the GT500 but chose otherwise with no regrets (I have none). There is always something faster out there.

The Turbo S is a 991.2 and no chance it traps 138 stock.

And since the masses dont modify I like our M8's (or mine) on the street and light line ups all day. My exhaust does need work LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #7
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Yeah I get that for sure.... we all could afford the GT500 but chose otherwise with no regrets (I have none). There is always something faster out there.

The Turbo S is a 991.2 and no chance it traps 138 stock.

And since the masses dont modify I like our M8's (or mine) on the street and light line ups all day. My exhaust does need work LOL.
The fact the turbo s is modded too truly bolsters the case for the GT500's performance here. Personally I never feared racing anyone in my turbo's but now, even those with the new 992 turbo S better think twice about racing the GT500 especially once it gets moving as it will no longer be a cakewalk. fwiw I no longer race anyone/anything.

I too have no regrets getting my M850 and it being 100% stock (it's plenty fast) as I've grown beyond the need for stupid fast, been there done that on land, sea, and air. I will seriously look into the C8 ZO6 HTC because I like the way it looks in/out and luv the idea of having a 600+hp NA FPC V8. We are all very, very blessed here

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-23-2021 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #8
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The fact the turbo s is modded too truly bolsters the case for the GT500. Personally I never feared racing anyone in my turbo's but now, even those with the new 992 turbo S better think twice about racing the GT500 especially once it gets moving as it will no longer be a cakewalk. I too have no regrets getting my M850 and it being 100% stock (it's plenty fast) as I've grown beyond the need for stupid fast, been there done that on land, sea, and air. I will seriously look into the C8 ZO6 HTC because I like the way it looks in/out and luv the idea of having a 600+hp NA FPC V8. We are all very, very blessed here
991.2 Turbo S's are harder to mod than 991.1 Turbo S's they are stock low 130's cars. Longboarder (member here) has a .1 with mods but I would not call them extensive and he traps 147.XXX

I am tempted to send my R8 to UGR--- but I too, dont think I need more hp to go further. But I love my N/A V10 in the same regard as your consideration for the C8 Z.

If you want to know more about that exact GT500 you can see it here, impressive but also heavily modded to get that extra 10-12 mph in trap speed in the quarter (requires quite a bit more hp) plus other changes.

BTW it now traps 155 LOL

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #9
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The fact the turbo s is modded too truly bolsters the case for the GT500. Personally I never feared racing anyone in my turbo's but now, even those with the new 992 turbo S better think twice about racing the GT500 especially once it gets moving as it will no longer be a cakewalk. I too have no regrets getting my M850 and it being 100% stock (it's plenty fast) as I've grown beyond the need for stupid fast, been there done that on land, sea, and air. I will seriously look into the C8 ZO6 HTC because I like the way it looks in/out and luv the idea of having a 600+hp NA FPC V8. We are all very, very blessed here
991.2 Turbo S's are harder to mod than 991.1 Turbo S's they are stock low 130's cars. Longboarder (member here) has a .1 with mods but I would not call them extensive and he traps 147.XXX

I am tempted to send my R8 to UGR--- but I too, dont think I need more hp to go further. But I love my N/A V10 in the same regard as your consideration for the C8 Z.

If you want to know more about that exact GT500 you can see it here, impressive but also heavily modded to get that extra 10-12 mph in trap speed in the quarter (requires quite a bit more hp) plus other changes.

BTW it now traps 155 LOL

155 mph traps are insane for a street car, Ford provided quite an engine as a base platform to expand upon and apparently no mod lockouts. Luv the R10's, and if they'd offer vented seats I'd have one in the garage, as being in S Florida they are a must. Good point about the new P-turbo's mod limitations, some of the manufacturers are getting smarter. You've gotta give Chevy credit as even the base C8's engine is ~500hp and with no blown air to help in this ever increasing emissions reduction environment. To be fair, the near instantaneous throttle response of today's TT engines is impressive. I'd also bet the Shelby will have a huge advantage in resale.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BTW it now traps 155 LOL

155 mph traps are insane for a street car, Ford provided quite an engine as a base platform to expand upon and apparently no mod lockouts. Luv the R10's, and if they'd offer vented seats I'd have one in the garage, as being in S Florida they are a must. Good point about the new P-turbo's mod limitations, some of the manufacturers are getting smarter. You've gotta give Chevy credit as even the base C8's engine is ~500hp and with blown air to help. To be fair, the near instantaneous throttle response of today's TT engines is impressive.
A good friend of mine (and a friend to Vic, others here) in a '19 M5C ran this repeatedly on the street with bolt-ons. No prep. No race gas. No special tires.

That Mustang is a helluva car—really, I like it a lot—but the context here implies or tries to ignore the obvious mods—as others have said, it's heavily mod'd.

Now here's a reasonably well mod'd luxo-barg on the street. Consider it with race gas and a prep'd surface and better tires... who knows; Mike never tried because he was happy with this result (understandably so).

In addition, let's reverse the scenario with the Mustang on the street, etc. and the M5 at the track... very different results.

Again, love the Mustang but these numbers—while great—aren't that unusual these days. Granted, though, the base price is appealing but how much were the mods?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Vic5518965.50
      01-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #11
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BTW it now traps 155 LOL

155 mph traps are insane for a street car, Ford provided quite an engine as a base platform to expand upon and apparently no mod lockouts. Luv the R10's, and if they'd offer vented seats I'd have one in the garage, as being in S Florida they are a must. Good point about the new P-turbo's mod limitations, some of the manufacturers are getting smarter. You've gotta give Chevy credit as even the base C8's engine is ~500hp and with blown air to help. To be fair, the near instantaneous throttle response of today's TT engines is impressive.
A good friend of mine (and a friend to Vic, others) in a '19 M5C ran this repeatedly on the street with bolt-ons. No prep. No race gas. No special tires.

That Mustang is a helluva car—really, I like it a lot—but the context here implies or tries to ignore the obvious mods—as others have said, it's heavily mod'd.

Now here's a reasonably well mod'd luxo-barg on the street. Consider it with race gas and a prep'd surface and better tires... who knows; Mike never tried because he was happy with this result (understandably so).

In addition, let's reverse the scenario with the Mustang on the street, etc. and the M5 at the track... very different results.

Again, love the Mustang but these numbers—while great—aren't that unusual these days. Granted, though, the base price is appealing but how much were the mods?
For comp purposes have to keep resale in mind when it comes to the Shelby, as I'd guess it will crush our beloved 8's. Imagine what it could deliver if the car was $160k like an M8 vs $80k? Nonetheless, I've always said the new Shelby is the American M8

Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      01-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BTW it now traps 155 LOL

A good friend of mine (and a friend to Vic, others) in a '19 M5C ran this repeatedly on the street with bolt-ons. No prep. No race gas. No special tires.

For comp purposes have to keep resale in mind when it comes to the Shelby, as I'd guess it will crush our beloved 8's. Imagine what it could deliver if the car was $160k like an M8 vs $80k? Nonetheless, I've always said the new Shelby is the American M8
Yeah. No doubt those things are gonna hold their value.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      01-24-2021, 05:56 PM   #13
mpizutti
2018 M3CS Pittsburgh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 528 , 2018 M3CS 2020 M8

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2016 bmw m2351  [0.00]

This is a better comparison as these are stock
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Its not just about stock vs stock but also modded vs modded. The drag race is a no brainer for the M8, but from a roll the GT500 will dominate. The last run was perhaps the most even launch and the traps tell the story, although I've gotta say 126.6 mph for an M8 is a bit disappointing, and 132.9 might evn t a bit off for the GT500. Perhaps to S FL humidity was the culprit

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #15
mpizutti
2018 M3CS Pittsburgh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 528 , 2018 M3CS 2020 M8

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2016 bmw m2351  [0.00]
Quote:
Its not just about stock vs stock but also modded vs modded. The drag race is a no brainer for the M8, but from a roll the GT500 will dominate. The last run was perhaps the most even launch and the traps tell the story, although I've gotta say 126.6 mph for an M8 is a bit disappointing, and 132.9 might evn t a bit off for the GT500. Perhaps to S FL humidity was the culprit
Yes there is no doubt that in stock form the GT500 is a beast
And of course in a roll race the GT will pull the M8..but the M8 is still
A crazy fast car
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpizutti View Post

This is a better comparison as these are stock
That M8 isn't using launch control on every run. That's almost a 0.5s loss to 60mph and a substantial loss to the 60ft. That makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:00 PM   #17
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
My point is modding the ~$80k Shelby unleashes a real monster that seems to annihilate most other challengers. The fact it reeled in that potentially modded turbo s after it had such a commanding lead was beyond impressive. It's also America's version of the M8C and vice versa. We should all be proud the USA is still making these kinds of cars. Personally I can't wait for the new naturally aspirated flat plane crank C8 ZO6.
100% true that the Shelby is an incredible car.
Just unfortunate that almost all comparisons mention the big price differential when in reality the difference is rather slim between a marked-up Shelby and discounted M8
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      01-24-2021, 11:52 PM   #18
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:
Just unfortunate that almost all comparisons mention the big price differential when in reality the difference is rather slim between a marked-up Shelby and discounted M8
I would also add that while one is named "GT", the other one actually is.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:25 AM   #19
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good point, but [as an example] a new 2019 ZR1 is still selling at or above sticker, iow even factoring in the ~20% discounts we have received, the American supercars win in resale/$ now and probably for years to come

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:28 AM   #20
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, but the '"backseats" in my coupe are essentially that in name only, as unless a midget is driving there's literally no leg room to speak of.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #21
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, but the '"backseats" in my coupe are essentially that in name only, as unless a midget is driving there's literally no leg room to speak of.
Mine are lovely.

PS: rear seats aren't a required attribute of a GT (Grand Tourer)—your 2-seater is quite definitely a GT.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0