M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion I8 Roadster lease ending thinking of M8 comp

01-08-2021, 08:26 AM   #23
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Apples/Pineapples
Indeed. I've no idea why this absurd comparison is made so frequently—they're not remotely similar cars and certainly not rivals.

My mod'd M8 ($900 mod I installed myself) hit 60 in 2.57s and the 1/4 mile in 10.33s on pump gas. It'll do that on the street, too. Properly mod'd S63TU engine variants are getting low 2s and mid-9s... that seems quite rapid for a car that can carry the entire family.

But yeah, applesineapples is an apt description of this flawed comparison.
Prop modded ones in mid 9's on street tires....Where? 147 1/4 mile and 182 1/2 mile...where? 236 top speed...where? And i'm not even the fastest stock frame turbo stock motor 991. Plenty of guys faster with 150+ 1/4 mile traps.

I have known quite a few M5's that have blown up. A few forum members. One that I am good friends with. In the mid to upper 130's 1/4 mile on e30 too high cyl pressure and boom. My friend whose M5 blew up ran low 10's before it blew. He also has a 991 with untouched stock turbos at 9.5@145mph. No issues. Gave up on the M5 after it blew. New motor and sold it. No potential.

I am currently working with a BMW software calibrator for a custom tune using Autotuner (a prof tuning platform) on the M8 at the moment. Keeping torque at factory stock levels until 4k rpm because of the rather fragility of this motor. Will be loading the tunes (pump and ethanol blend) on EMD's mustang dyno and working on it from there. Both top speed limiters also removed. Predicting some nice gains but nothing dramatic due to the main goal of reliability.

It is what it is. And more important it isn't what it isn't. Just a nice lux cruiser nothing more.
Use google. No idea on half mile or top speed; doesn't interest me as much.

Other than that: subjectively say what you want. Objectively,
Appreciate 2
Vic5518961.00
xmanpro2942.50
      01-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #24
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

For these rides:

Ass dyno > numbers on ticker imo
      01-08-2021, 01:11 PM   #25
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Prop modded ones in mid 9's on street tires....Where? 147 1/4 mile and 182 1/2 mile...where? 236 top speed...where? And i'm not even the fastest stock frame turbo stock motor 991. Plenty of guys faster with 150+ 1/4 mile traps.

I have known quite a few M5's that have blown up. A few forum members. One that I am good friends with. In the mid to upper 130's 1/4 mile on e30 too high cyl pressure and boom. My friend whose M5 blew up ran low 10's before it blew. He also has a 991 with untouched stock turbos at 9.5@145mph. No issues. Gave up on the M5 after it blew. New motor and sold it. No potential.

I am currently working with a BMW software calibrator for a custom tune using Autotuner (a prof tuning platform) on the M8 at the moment. Keeping torque at factory stock levels until 4k rpm because of the rather fragility of this motor. Will be loading the tunes (pump and ethanol blend) on EMD's mustang dyno and working on it from there. Both top speed limiters also removed. Predicting some nice gains but nothing dramatic due to the main goal of reliability.

It is what it is. And more important it isn't what it isn't. Just a nice lux cruiser nothing more.
It is actually the point of the M8. Otherwise it wouldn't weigh over 4k lbs. M8 is just a big and fast and comfortable car with two doors and a trunk.

The 911 is a sports car with different flavors of fast and handling, but it is not a cruiser. There is even more tire and road noise and no real trunk.

All of this depends on where you place the importance, speed/handling over comfort/utility or vice versa.

I love the 992 TTS, but I would rather save $100K, not have to deal with Porsche dealers, and have trunk where I can put my golf clubs. M8 is for certain people, just like 911 TTS for certain people. Unless you want to own multiple cars...
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      01-08-2021, 01:45 PM   #26
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel88 View Post
Quote:

It is actually the point of the M8. Otherwise it wouldn't weigh over 4k lbs. M8 is just a big and fast and comfortable car with two doors and a trunk.

The 911 is a sports car with different flavors of fast and handling, but it is not a cruiser. There is even more tire and road noise and no real trunk.

All of this depends on where you place the importance, speed/handling over comfort/utility or vice versa.

I love the 992 TTS, but I would rather save $100K, not have to deal with Porsche dealers, and have trunk where I can put my golf clubs. M8 is for certain people, just like 911 TTS for certain people. Unless you want to own multiple cars...
Many of us are fortunate to own multiple cars. I was trying to stay on track here as is it an i8 vs M8 discussion but lets be honest, the i8 has less room than even a 911. The 911 seems to keep getting brought up from a performance perspective and the M8 does perform very well more like the 911 than the i8. The i8 is not a performance car. It's not comfortable. It looks cool and can get great gas mileage. The M8 is clearly the better car all around. Except looks. Although that is subjective.

I had an i8 with 5 other cars at one point. I liked it back in 2016 when I leased it but the novelty wore off quick and i parked it and let it collect an inch of dust and let my friends drive it around before turning it back in to BMW with very little miles. At least I got a tax deduction....
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      01-08-2021, 05:39 PM   #27
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:

An M8 "just a lux cruiser, nothing more" lol, hardly. A high-performance lux GT is much more appropriate, as a lux cruiser can be associated with cars like an S class sedan, 7 series etc., or even something like a Cadillac for that matter.

Fwiw I have owned 17 Porsche's thus far with many of them turbo's, there is nothing like them for straight line speed 0-100 and I used to handedly embarrass any and all challengers...the brakes were also some of the best. My air-cooled Kremmer was my favorite, when the engine was at redline it was so smooth it felt like the needle on the tach could go all the way around again. I was so hooked on the speed I actually traded a brand new Ferrari for another turbo after only a few months.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-08-2021 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #28
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:

".

I love the 992 TTS, but I would rather save $100K, not have to deal with Porsche dealers, and have trunk where I can put my golf clubs. M8 is for certain people, just like 911 TTS for certain people. Unless you want to own multiple cars..."

He said it here. There is value to savings $100k and not dealing with Porsche. Also, you can't really mod Porsche the same way you can any BMW. That 100k can buy a lot of mods for the BMW.

That said, I have an order for a 992 new 911 turbo S cab in gentian blue; however, it's currently a 11 month wait for custom order.

I love the m850i, but locked without an ECU tune; they lack the power of a natural 991 turbo S.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 06:10 PM   #29
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:

Some of these numbers you're posting are inflated. A 991.2 Turbo S doesn't get into the mid 9's without some serious mods. Mine did a 10.05 on the street with shit tires on 100octane with full bolt ons. The guys running 9.5's have straight meth injection (not 50/50), intercoolers, ypipe, exhaust, plenum, diverter valves, and either turbo swap or internals swapped.

My Turbo S didn't come anywhere in the same ballpark as the M5 did when it comes to ride (both lowered), aesthetics, infotainment and so on. My F90 ran a 9.8 with ONLY bolt on's. Still the fastest in the world from what I know.(Stock motor and turbos) Never had any issues with it. The car also handles amazing beats pretty much anything I come across. When said and done the M5 is about 100-130k less than the Porsche.

Don't get me wrong, the Turbo S is a great car. The PDK is absolutely amazing. I actually have the 992 on order and arrives in 30 days. I agree both cars have their places but the M5/M8 is every bit as fast as a 991.2 Turbo S with only bolt on's. I have Dragy numbers on both.

One thing I do agree on is that pushing much lower than a flat 10 second run in a M5/M8 without changing rods out is pushing the motor too much and risky. That's why I haven't touched turbos and happy with my 9.8 and will leave it at that. Family Sedan!

Assuming you didn't need back seats and could only afford one of the two cars and the 100k difference didn't matter, I would take the M5/M8 all day because of how much more it has to offer. Now, if we are talking the 992 then things change a bit. That thing is even faster and I agree that those motors are bullet proof and can handle whatever you throw at them.
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      01-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #30
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Some of these numbers you're posting are inflated. A 991.2 Turbo S doesn't get into the mid 9's without some serious mods. Mine did a 10.05 on the street with shit tires on 100octane with full bolt ons. The guys running 9.5's have straight meth injection (not 50/50), intercoolers, ypipe, exhaust, plenum, diverter valves, and either turbo swap or internals swapped.

My Turbo S didn't come anywhere in the same ballpark as the M5 did when it comes to ride (both lowered), aesthetics, infotainment and so on. My F90 ran a 9.8 with ONLY bolt on's. Still the fastest in the world from what I know.(Stock motor and turbos) Never had any issues with it. The car also handles amazing beats pretty much anything I come across. When said and done the M5 is about 100-130k less than the Porsche.

Don't get me wrong, the Turbo S is a great car. The PDK is absolutely amazing. I actually have the 992 on order and arrives in 30 days. I agree both cars have their places but the M5/M8 is every bit as fast as a 991.2 Turbo S with only bolt on's. I have Dragy numbers on both.

One thing I do agree on is that pushing much lower than a flat 10 second run in a M5/M8 without changing rods out is pushing the motor too much and risky. That's why I haven't touched turbos and happy with my 9.8 and will leave it at that. Family Sedan!

Assuming you didn't need back seats and could only afford one of the two cars and the 100k difference didn't matter, I would take the M5/M8 all day because of how much more it has to offer. Now, if we are talking the 992 then things change a bit. That thing is even faster and I agree that those motors are bullet proof and can handle whatever you throw at them.
Whats up brother I see you went with the .2 nicely done. To be clear, Adam (aka Longboarder) has 991.1 not a .2 which I do believe actually runs better on certain mods. I may be wrong here but the .1 platform is easier tuned than the .2 mod for mod. Of course this is post mods as the .2 is faster than the .1 stock to stock.

Either way I love Porsche... and M for different reasons.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 01-08-2021 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
      01-08-2021, 06:19 PM   #31
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
".

That said, I have an order for a 992 new 911 turbo S cab in gentian blue; however, it's currently a 11 month wait for custom order.
Nice...I think the 992 TTS with the new wheels looks great. Gentian blue is really, really nice too. It looks like a very Italian color in person.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #32
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Posted this a few weeks back

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...turbo-s-drive/
Attached Images

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-08-2021 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
xmanpro2942.50
      01-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #33
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Whats up brother I see you went with the .2 nicely done. To be clear, Adam (aka Longboarder) has 991.1 not a .2 which I do believe actually runs better on certain mods. I may be wrong here but the .1 platform is easier tuned than the .2 mod for mod. Of course this is post mods as the .2 is faster than the .1 stock to stock.

Either way I love Porsche... and M for different reasons.

Haha yes, I couldn't resist the temptation of the .2

Good points on the .1 vs the .2 platforms. And you are right sir. Both great cars!
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #34
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:

It's frozen dark silver per BMW's nomenclature; not wrapped.

I'm interested in your steering wheel comment; would you elaborate, please.
What do you mean nomenclature? I dont think I saw it on their site when test building an m8

This kinda wheel. Look at what I circled in red. I wish the m8 and x6M's had this kinda wheel.

https://ibb.co/pxMzDMJ
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:13 PM   #35
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
Quote:

It's frozen dark silver per BMW's nomenclature; not wrapped.

I'm interested in your steering wheel comment; would you elaborate, please.
What do you mean nomenclature? I dont think I saw it on their site when test building an m8

This kinda wheel. Look at what I circled in red. I wish the m8 and x6M's had this kinda wheel.

https://ibb.co/pxMzDMJ
I'm referring to their way of describing colors—their "nomenclature".

Got it on the steering wheel—yeah, I get that. I got used to it pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 02:03 PM   #36
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had a I8 coupe a few years back. I just got my M8 Comp Coupe a few days ago. For me, it is awesome. But I am probably it's target niche market LOL.

I mostly just drive to play golf on all over the SF Bay Area on the weekends, run a few errands during the week, and drive by myself. It is all a mix of highway, streets, and some back roads.

I don't track and have owned everything from 997 TTS to AM V12 Vantage to 991 GT3 to MAC 570s. Light weight and tossable in corners not a big priority anymore.

I love car tech.

The M8 is perfect. Fast. Comfortable. Sporty. Has a trunk. Loaded with gadgets. Looks pretty great to me.

The leases are great now with all of the incentives.

Honestly, I have not enjoyed a car this much since my E92 M3 and 991 GT3. It is the fastest car I have owned and it drives really good for it's size. I crossed shopped it with a 992 CS and for my driving roads and style, handling was 95% there.
Actually the lease are pretty bad on it. What sucks is they didnt make 2021's and the limited batch of 2020 M8 competition convertibles that are left cost $300 more then I am paying for my current i8 Roadster lease (ending in April). and Even a 2021 X6M comp is $200 less then these 2020 M8 comps
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:31 PM   #37
BMW Lunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Convertible

Quote:
Quote:
I had a I8 coupe a few years back. I just got my M8 Comp Coupe a few days ago. For me, it is awesome. But I am probably it's target niche market LOL.

I mostly just drive to play golf on all over the SF Bay Area on the weekends, run a few errands during the week, and drive by myself. It is all a mix of highway, streets, and some back roads.

I don't track and have owned everything from 997 TTS to AM V12 Vantage to 991 GT3 to MAC 570s. Light weight and tossable in corners not a big priority anymore.

I love car tech.

The M8 is perfect. Fast. Comfortable. Sporty. Has a trunk. Loaded with gadgets. Looks pretty great to me.

The leases are great now with all of the incentives.

Honestly, I have not enjoyed a car this much since my E92 M3 and 991 GT3. It is the fastest car I have owned and it drives really good for it's size. I crossed shopped it with a 992 CS and for my driving roads and style, handling was 95% there.
Actually the lease are pretty bad on it. What sucks is they didnt make 2021's and the limited batch of 2020 M8 competition convertibles that are left cost $300 more then I am paying for my current i8 Roadster lease (ending in April). and Even a 2021 X6M comp is $200 less then these 2020 M8 comps
What are u getting quoted on lease on comp convertible m8? Hardly 17 left in the country.
      01-19-2021, 12:57 AM   #38
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Get an M850 you won't be disappointed

Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS603.50
      01-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #39
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Lunatic View Post
What are u getting quoted on lease on comp convertible m8? Hardly 17 left in the country.
Whats annoying is that they didnt make 2021 M8 comp models so a lease on a 2020 M8 Competition convertible is about $1,720 whereas a 2021 X6M Competition lease is $1,530.

Current i8 roadster (169k msrp) in ecopper color with the orange seats is running me $1,418 now.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #40
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Whats annoying is that they didnt make 2021 M8 comp models so a lease on a 2020 M8 Competition convertible is about $1,720 whereas a 2021 X6M Competition lease is $1,530.

Current i8 roadster (169k msrp) in ecopper color with the orange seats is running me $1,418 now.
These numbers are meaningless without any data behind it...

i8's are kryptonite for dealers over here and they can't give them away so a lower price is realistic. Doesn't mean it's a better lease deal.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #41
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

As much as I pick on my M8, I will admit that it's an overall good car... especially if you can get 15-20% sticker. I ordered mine when they debuted and paid near sticker for mine.

If I could do it again, I probably would. Drives softer than the M5C, best looking BMW that BMW has ever put out (my opinion), and I don't think there is a better UI than iDrive (simple, intuitive, easy to use).

When I factor in $ for $, I'd go S63 -- M8 has showed me I'm more of a GT car than a sport
Appreciate 1