M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion I'm an Englishman in... the Orlando, FL area

09-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

I'm an Englishman in... the Orlando, FL area

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So my move to FL (and my drive there from near Seattle, WA) is complete (well, I haven't closed yet but that's happening this week).

Two questions if I may:
1. can anyone recommend a dealer in the Sanford/Winter Park/Orlando area that's friendly to those of us with tweaked cars?

2. my map region currently covers the northern states. I thought I knew how to download a new region but I can't for the life of me find it either in IDrive or through Goo.. oops, Bing--does anyone know how to change and download the detailed maps for a different group of states?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      09-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
2. my map region currently covers the northern states. I thought I knew how to download a new region but I can't for the life of me find it either in IDrive or through Goo.. oops, Bing--does anyone know how to change and download the detailed maps for a different group of states?
Congrats on the safe relo and guessing it may have been a fun drive in that glorious big arsed M8C GC! As for the map region, I do not believe that is something you can set within the iDrive system of the car. I'm guessing that is one of the VPC or dealer setup items before delivery along with the initial map load. That said it does appear you can change the region from within the Connected Drive portal. Once logged in select "Map Update" under the listing of subscribed services for the GC. The resulting page has a drop down down menu entitled "Automatic map update" click it and it will expand into the region setting you are looking for.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Congrats on the safe relo and guessing it may have been a fun drive in that glorious big arsed M8C GC! As for the map region, I do not believe that is something you can set within the iDrive system of the car. I'm guessing that is one of the VPC or dealer setup items before delivery along with the initial map load. That said it does appear you can change the region from within the Connected Drive portal. Once logged in select "Map Update" under the listing of subscribed services for the GC. The resulting page has a drop down down menu entitled "Automatic map update" click it and it will expand into the region setting you are looking for.
Thanks!

I had actually already tried that, however my page does not contain a dropdown menu nor anything that resembles configuration or settings or updates.

I recall specifying the collection of states that I should download an update for. I believe I did that with this car but certainly for IDrive 7. You see the collection of states when you look at Update under the map settings. Mine is currently northern states and its FL data is... well, shite.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Congrats on the move! You picked the right weekend to get out of here
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Congrats on the move! You picked the right weekend to get out of here
Thanks!

And no shit--I was in the thick of it for 90+ mins in a combined wind storm, sand storm and smoke saturated area in I90--I was genuinely scared.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Thanks!

And no shit--I was in the thick of it for 90+ mins in a combined wind storm, sand storm and smoke saturated area in I90--I was genuinely scared.
Well, take it from me, you're in the right place now. All we have are hurricanes, oven-like heat waves, hurricanes, love bugs, hurricanes, drivers who will shoot you just for fun, hurricanes, cockroaches the size of Datsuns, hurricanes, traffic jams so solid that require stents, hurricanes, and also hurricanes.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11281.00
r33_RGSport12803.00
      09-13-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
Thanks!

Well, take it from me, you're in the right place now. All we have are hurricanes, oven-like heat waves, hurricanes, love bugs, hurricanes, drivers who will shoot you just for fun, hurricanes, cockroaches the size of Datsuns, hurricanes, traffic jams so solid that require stents, hurricanes, and also hurricanes.
Awww, shucks—thanks for rosey welcome!

I lived in S Florida for 15 years before moving to Microsoft'ville so I'm sadly all-too aware of most of that—not so much on the being shot for fun, though.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Wait for the theme parks to get back on full boil and he'll experience the real Orlando traffic nightmare lol

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks!

I had actually already tried that, however my page does not contain a dropdown menu nor anything that resembles configuration or settings or updates.

I recall specifying the collection of states that I should download an update for. I believe I did that with this car but certainly for IDrive 7. You see the collection of states when you look at Update under the map settings. Mine is currently northern states and its FL data is... well, shite.
Totally weird as one would think that iDrive, Connected Drive, etc. is universal across the 8-series as it comes standard with the full boat of Connected Drive Services. I've attached some screenshots as I just checked and I can easily change my region within the Connected Drive portal. One thing is to make sure you select the "Map update" vs the "Automatic Map Update" tile as that is where the setting is at least for me. You should be on Region 2 now and just toggle to Region 12 and hit save. I'm guessing it will take some time before the maps actually get updated OTA though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
Ozzie8641.00
      09-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #10
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Fires, wind and dense smoke is seriously scary.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Quote:
Wait for the theme parks to get back on full boil and he'll experience the real Orlando traffic nightmare lol
I'm not in Orlando; Sanford to be specific. Compared to Seattle, though, the traffic density index here equates to chump change.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Totally weird as one would think that iDrive, Connected Drive, etc. is universal across the 8-series as it comes standard with the full boat of Connected Drive Services. I've attached some screenshots as I just checked and I can easily change my region within the Connected Drive portal. One thing is to make sure you select the "Map update" vs the "Automatic Map Update" tile as that is where the setting is at least for me. You should be on Region 2 now and just toggle to Region 12 and hit save. I'm guessing it will take some time before the maps actually get updated OTA though.
Mwaa mwaa--love ya, man! Silly me, I assumed there was only one tile for Map Updates--what was I thinking.

Thanks for persevering... now let's see if that change has any impact on the car!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Fires, wind and dense smoke is seriously scary.
Don't forget sandstorm, too, and then a cold front from Canada lowered the temps by up to 50f in 24 hours. I went to bed somewhere I forget at 76f and woke up to 27f the following morning.

Climate change—meh, "fake news"...

Last edited by limeypride; 09-13-2020 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      09-13-2020, 06:49 PM   #14
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not in Orlando; Sanford to be specific. Compared to Seattle, though, the traffic density index here equates to chump change.
That will help being 25 mins out but when the parks are back up to speed it's brutal anywhere's near/approaching Orlando on I-4.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #15
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That will help being 25 mins out but when the parks are back up to speed it's brutal anywhere's near/approaching Orlando on I-4.
Yeah, agreed.

I was in and around the Deerfield Beach and Boca area but visited the water parks and Universal regularly—8 to 10 times a year I'd guess. I think it's fair to say the English outnumbered the Americans in high season.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 07:11 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mwaa mwaa--love ya, man! Silly me, I assumed there was only one tile for Map Updates--what was I thinking.
Yep as in all things digital BMW has room for improvement and in this case someone needs some education in UX design.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      09-13-2020, 07:42 PM   #17
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, agreed.

I was in and around the Deerfield Beach and Boca area but visited the water parks and Universal regularly—8 to 10 times a year I'd guess. I think it's fair to say the English outnumbered the Americans in high season.
That's right around Hillsboro Beach, lived on Hillsboro Mile for 8 yrs.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #18
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, agreed.

That's right around Hillsboro Beach, lived on Hillsboro Mile for 8 yrs.
Wow. That was my beach for years and years. Dunkin Donuts for coffee on the way down Hillsboro and make a nest in front of the Howard Johnson next to the restaurant.

Small world!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

More guys to visit when I go to Orlando. ::
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #20
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

// UPDATE

I made the change per Bloozeman's guidance (thank you for that and your perseverance) and... nothing happened. But, ah hah, the next day, nothing happened.

This went on for a few more days and I even considered calling the BMW Genius phone number. However, sanity and an act of kindness from BMW's cloud service prevented that pain: the car out-of-the-blue offered a map update and downloaded the southern states--> YEY!

Et voila--problem solved. Now when I ask Skippy to take me home, it actually does.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12803.00
Ozzie8641.00
      09-17-2020, 10:21 PM   #21
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
The BMW cloud moves in mysterious ways....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
// UPDATE

I made the change per Bloozeman's guidance (thank you for that and your perseverance) and... nothing happened. But, ah hah, the next day, nothing happened.

This went on for a few more days and I even considered calling the BMW Genius phone number. However, sanity and an act of kindness from BMW's cloud service prevented that pain: the car out-of-the-blue offered a map update and downloaded the southern states--> YEY!

Et voila--problem solved. Now when I ask Skippy to take me home, it actually does.
Glad it all worked out. As stated I figured it would not be instantaneous whatsoever but also did not expect it to take several days for the car to realize it was not within the right region based on the Connected Drive settings. Thank God though you didn't have to wait for the quarterly map update which if memory serves is the BMW SLA on that. More so you avoided a conversation with the lack of Genius aka the Genius service desk.
Appreciate 0