M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Urgent PLEASE! MidResonator delete tomorrow and WARRANTY ISSUE!!

08-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Urgent PLEASE! MidResonator delete tomorrow and WARRANTY ISSUE!!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I am about to put straight pipes in M8 tomorrow morning,,,, in lieu of MidResonator!

Is it true they can deny work on my engine if it blows up etc... because of only straight pipes?

That gave me a long pause when my tuner who's planning straight pipes and used to work for BMW as a mechanic as follows

"Yes. If something happens and they can prove that opening up the exhaust caused the failure the warranty claim can be declined.
The likelihood of this happening are slim to none though"!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

it would be very difficult to blame straights pipes to engine failure.

it’s a pure sound upgrade. you can swap it back easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
I am about to put straight pipes in M8 tomorrow morning,,,, in lieu of MidResonator!

Is it true they can deny work on my engine if it blows up etc... because of only straight pipes?

That gave me a long pause when my tuner who's planning straight pipes and used to work for BMW as a mechanic as follows

"Yes. If something happens and they can prove that opening up the exhaust caused the failure the warranty claim can be declined.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:38 AM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
it would be very difficult to blame straights pipes to engine failure.

it's a pure sound upgrade. you can swap it back easily

Quote:

Rationalizing and logic don't always apply—I wish they did. This is commerce.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

We have spoken on PM--- you have modded many other new BMW's at a greater extent than the midpipe. And while I can not say for sure that you will be safe no matter what; you must always be ready pay to play.

Whats more important? The what if question if something fails and it can be remotely tied to the midpipe mod or more exhaust sound?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      08-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
We have spoken on PM--- you have modded many other new BMW's at a greater extent than the midpipe. And while I can not say for sure that you will be safe no matter what; you must always be ready pay to play.

Whats more important? The what if question if something fails and it can be remotely tied to the midpipe mod or more exhaust sound?
Exactly
One of the members reminded me that I can always especially with a MidPipe to place back and get whatever needs fixed done!

Already at the shop getting it done!
Heck, if I can't enjoy my car,,, why bother!!
Still amazed that BMW can't get it right with their exhaust unless you have to go all out and get ///M performance exhaust for 10K!! It's an ///M car and should sound like one out of the gate!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I must be getting older ?!
True don't know why I am getting more cold feet than before!

M5 F90 which I still actually have has a great sound with DINAN Axle back and MidXPipe! And did Race Chip too!

I even thought about taking that a DINAN axle back and fit it somehow to M8,,, because I am getting rid of M5 probably soon! Don't drive it anymore, as M8 while more refined ///M, it does cater to my age group I guess 40's club
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

M5 F90 which I still actually have has a great sound with DINAN Axle back and MidXPipe! And did Race Chip too!

I even thought about taking that a DINAN axle back and fit it somehow to M8,,, because I am getting rid of M5 probably soon! Don't drive it anymore, as M8 while more refined ///M, it does cater to my age group I guess 40's club
I was the member that reminded you that you can easily remedy the midpipe back to stock LOL.

Im glad you did it--- please report back with the sound updates.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      08-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was the member that reminded you that you can easily remedy the midpipe back to stock LOL.

Im glad you did it--- please report back with the sound updates.
See
I am getting demented too
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #9
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
See
Getting???

Im sure you will like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #10
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly
One of the members reminded me that I can always especially with a MidPipe to place back and get whatever needs fixed done!

Already at the shop getting it done!
Heck, if I can't enjoy my car,,, why bother!!
Still amazed that BMW can't get it right with their exhaust unless you have to go all out and get ///M performance exhaust for 10K!! It's an ///M car and should sound like one out of the gate!!!
Have you got a sound comparision?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

I am excited to hear how it sounds compared to stock
Please upload some picture and sounds clips to compare. If it sounds good i am gonna go for one on mine
Let me know also what kind of x pipe u used

I was also wondering if dinan x pipe for f90 fits on an M8
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      08-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #12
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Well!
It's done and I must say I am taken aback in a good and bad way at the same time!

Had Mandrel bent and Pie whatever something something custom made (Pictures May follow if shop sends them as promised),

Bear in mind I also have M5 F90 with X-Pipe and DINAN m, that is an comparing to,

First things first
-Almost no drone but there's is a smidge (Maybe because of straights MidPipes not X-Pipes! Not bothering me which is a big sigh of relief! Maybe 1-2/10 of drone cruising

- Volume stock was 2/10 where 10 is loudest then my M5 aforementioned set up is 5, then M8 now is 4-4.5, so much louder!! Probably too loud being a convertible!! And some little rattle or a feeling that most of exhaust coming from pipes not engine, if that makes any sense!

- Much more pops and crackles and there was almost none! Much more! Like crazy

- Being a convertible makes it feel louder than it really is! But I Ben with top up still loud and can't get it to be civil again! It's bonkers but all the time!!

- What a cheap mod!!

- In a tunnel was like a freaking Ferrari!! But not quite! But it sure is a completely different car, just don't know the sound quality will be everyone's cup of tea!!

Shout out EurMpire!! Matt is such a great and mellow guy to work with!! He and his shop is a hidden gem in Charlotte!

Paid 400$!! And I was told was a pain in the A** being a convertible due to braces!!

What's bad then?!
Not sure I wanted it to be that throaty, loud, a smidge droney all the time!!

Yes it's hushed some when calves are closed but not as you'd like!!

Only time will tell I guess
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      08-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
See
Getting???

Im sure you will like it.
Someone been lingering on this side of the forum. Hmmm.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      08-20-2020, 11:03 PM   #14
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

bmw still has to prove that mod caused the issues. trying to pin point a mid pipe to an engine failure will be tough. but either way attorneys need to be involved if it ever gets that far

the most important of modding is have a great relationship with your service advisor and dealership. things can turn from flagging your car or a big bill not covered under warranty

if you get flagged for a mid pipe you have an A-hole dealership and service advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:03 PM   #15
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

https://share.icloud.com/photos/004N...km7PN-Q#Waxhaw
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #16
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Thank you for sharing
It sounds much better but as you said i prefer it little quieter especially in efficient mode
What do you think about X pipe ?
Will it sound quieter?
I am leaning about getting dinan f90 M5 Xpipe anyone knows if it fits the M8?
Appreciate any input
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      08-20-2020, 11:24 PM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
bmw still has to prove that mod caused the issues. trying to pin point a mid pipe to an engine failure will be tough. but either way attorneys need to be involved if it ever gets that far

the most important of modding is have a great relationship with your service advisor and dealership. things can turn from flagging your car or a big bill not covered under warranty

if you get flagged for a mid pipe you have an A-hole dealership and service advisor

Quote:
On the SA, I agree but their reach only goes so far.

Here's where I definitely don't agree: BMW don't have to prove anything... unless you decide to give up your car for say 6 months or 12 months or more and take legal action (all the while seeing your car exclusively through remote 3D view... assuming it works). C'mon, you know better than this. The burden of proof isn't a thing until litigation (and we're back to ba bye to ya car) or/and a judge says it is.

Hypothetical: you mod your car; it breaks; dealer has to authorize repair through BMW NA; they call foul; you say prove it; they say no... that's real life.

These optimistic posts aren't helping anyone.

PS: I'm not suggesting the mods cited in this post are or will be or might be a problem, I've no idea. But the optimistic principles you reference aren't remotely representative of reality.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      08-20-2020, 11:34 PM   #18
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
On the SA, I agree but their reach only goes so far.

Here's where I definitely don't agree: BMW don't have to prove anything... unless you decide to give up your car for say 6 months or 12 months or more and take legal action (all the while seeing your car exclusively through remote 3D view... assuming it works). C'mon, you know better than this. The burden of proof isn't a thing until litigation (and we're back to ba bye to ya car) or/and a judge says it is.

Hypothetical: you mod your car; it breaks; dealer has to authorize repair through BMW NA; they call foul; you say prove it; they say no... that's real life.

These optimistic posts aren't helping anyone.

PS: I'm not suggesting the mods cited in this post are or will be or might be a problem, I've no idea. But the optimistic principles you reference aren't remotely representative of reality.
Implied
Kinda know
Hard to believe that such a small mod will cause real issues and if real issues arise one could always put it back!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:36 PM   #19
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Implied
Kinda know
Hard to believe that such a small mod will cause real issues and if real issues arise one could always put it back!

Yup, I think you and I are on the same page from our offline discussions--I was replying to Ehloo's post.

PS: restoring it to stock with this mod might well work--again, I'm wayyyy out of my league on the mechanicals so I don't know... seems feasible, though. However, flashing back to stock after an ECU tune, removing a piggy, etc.--those times are gone.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      08-20-2020, 11:41 PM   #20
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Implied
Kinda know

Yup, I think you and I are on the same page from our offline discussions--I was replying to Ehloo's post.

PS: restoring it to stock with this mod might well work--again, I'm wayyyy out of my league on the mechanicals so I don't know... seems feasible, though. However, flashing back to stock after an ECU tune, removing a piggy, etc.--those times are gone.
That's why no ECU tune for me unless DINAN with warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:58 PM   #21
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Implied
Kinda know

That's why no ECU tune for me unless DINAN with warranty
I'll be interested to hear the results of the Dinan tune. Is it a piggy?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #22
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Someone been lingering on this side of the forum. Hmmm.
Stop the gossip sir.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12805.00
jjasonSU194.00