M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Best way to wash your M8 & keep it shining

01-17-2021, 10:42 PM   #1
AYSV
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Best way to wash your M8 & keep it shining

Hi fellow M8 & 8-series lovers!

I just joined this forum recently (though I've been a silent observer for a while now), and just bought a new M8 Competition Coupe last month (Black Sapphire Metallic). Absolutely loving the car so far.

I had a question around car washing and what some of you do to keep your rides clean (foam cannons, two bucket method, etc). Hoping to gain some wisdom from the more experienced folks on this forum, especially from those who have a black car :-)

I do have the paint ceramic coated with Cilajet from the dealer, only because they had a reputed detailer apply it. So far the car still shines like new, but I'll give it a few more months and see how I feel about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 12:06 AM   #2
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYSV View Post

I just joined this forum recently (though I've been a silent observer for a while now), and just bought a new M8 Competition Coupe last month (Black Sapphire Metallic). Absolutely loving the car so far.

I had a question around car washing and what some of you do to keep your rides clean (foam cannons, two bucket method, etc). Hoping to gain some wisdom from the more experienced folks on this forum, especially from those who have a black car :-)

I do have the paint ceramic coated with Cilajet from the dealer, only because they had a reputed detailer apply it. So far the car still shines like new, but I'll give it a few more months and see how I feel about it.
I would definitely check out Obsessed Garages YouTube page + his website for certain wash packages - whether it be for maintaining wheels, paint, interior etc. You should find all that you need there. Warning: it can become addicting. Congrats on the M8!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYSV View Post

for you, I'd recommend a professional mobile detailing. We have a service in my area where they will come every 2 or 4 weeks and do a full hand wash detail inside and out at our home.
I'd see if there is something like that in your area.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:52 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
I would definitely check out Obsessed Garages YouTube page + his website for certain wash packages - whether it be for maintaining wheels, paint, interior etc. You should find all that you need there. Warning: it can become addicting. Congrats on the M8!
Absolutely agree if you want to go the do it yourself route Obsessed Garage is a great source. I watched several hours of his videos including when he applied an ExoShield on one of his car's windshield. It was helpful in dissuading me from doing so although we have a couple of local freeways that are horrendous for rock chips. PPF fplus ceramic coating from day 1 was the plan which I did but passed on the ExoShield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
for you, I'd recommend a professional mobile detailing. We have a service in my area where they will come every 2 or 4 weeks and do a full hand wash detail inside and out at our home.
I'd see if there is something like that in your area.
Ultimately this is the same route I took as I have a couple of mobile services in my area. Primarily I didn't want to have to get all of the equipment (pressure washer, blower, RODI water system, etc.) and have to store it in my already over packed garage. That plus I'm lazy.

I have decided to go with one of the mobile services as my primary go to as the crew that comes out loves the Tanzanite Blue and are extra careful as it is just as dangerous for swirl marks like black. They do the foam cannon, power wash, two bucket and hand dry plus vacuum and wipe down the interior for $60 bucks and I give them a $10 tip.

Given it's been about a year now I'm going to take the car back to the original detailer whom did the PPF and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating (exterior and interior) for a full detail plus the ceramic update. Outside of the small boo boo on the bumper I did in a parking garage the car still looks just like I drove it off the lot.
Appreciate 0