M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Audi Q7: C&D "BEST Mid-Size SUV for 2017"

12-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up Audi Q7: C&D "BEST Mid-Size SUV for 2017"

Not surprising at all. And there was some very stiff competition! This particular market segment is very fierce.
All are quite attractive and posh. Q7 is a worthy winner by any and all accounts. It is attractive, useful, reliable, tech-filled, comfy and has the "utility" needed in real world scenarios! 3rd row seating in this class makes it very appealing as well.
Definitely on our radar for next "family hauler".
The large grille designs Audi has evolved to, work much better on their larger vehicles IMO.

Quote:
Opting for the passenger comfort, luggage space, ground clearance, and, in some cases, three rows of seating that an SUV delivers works against the driving dynamics that car nerds—such as ourselves—hold so dear. Audi’s Q7, however, stands out among the crowd of decked-out family haulers as the one that best combines an ability to tackle practical jobs, be nerd-approved lively from behind the wheel, and boast luxury trimmings worthy of its price.

The Q7 starts at $49,950 with its new, base 252-hp 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, as an opening price of less than $50K is a magic number for marketers of luxury vehicles. The optional 333-hp supercharged V-6 adds enough oomph to scoot the Q7 to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds, which is at the speedy end of the class. The $5800 engine upgrade also ups the towing capacity from 4400 pounds to 7700 pounds when combined with the $550 Towing package. (That’s more tugging capability than a standard body-on-frame Chevrolet Tahoe.) For weatherproof hauling, fold both rows for a flat floor and 72 cubic feet of space.
The Audi Q7 Is the Best Mid-Size Luxury SUV – 2017 10Best Trucks and SUVs
[Car and Driver]
K.C. COLWELL
Car and DriverDecember 6, 2016
View photos
View photos

Opting for the passenger comfort, luggage space, ground clearance, and, in some cases, three rows of seating that an SUV delivers works against the driving dynamics that car nerds—such as ourselves—hold so dear. Audi’s Q7, however, stands out among the crowd of decked-out family haulers as the one that best combines an ability to tackle practical jobs, be nerd-approved lively from behind the wheel, and boast luxury trimmings worthy of its price.

The Q7 starts at $49,950 with its new, base 252-hp 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, as an opening price of less than $50K is a magic number for marketers of luxury vehicles. The optional 333-hp supercharged V-6 adds enough oomph to scoot the Q7 to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds, which is at the speedy end of the class. The $5800 engine upgrade also ups the towing capacity from 4400 pounds to 7700 pounds when combined with the $550 Towing package. (That’s more tugging capability than a standard body-on-frame Chevrolet Tahoe.) For weatherproof hauling, fold both rows for a flat floor and 72 cubic feet of space.
View photos

Prices quickly escalate, though, and a fully loaded 3.0T Prestige model surpasses $70,000. But there is some palpable substance for that additional $20K outlay. While there are other upper-crust SUVs that compare on paper with the Q7—touting yards of leather upholstery, open-pore or layered wood trim, satisfying switchgear, all the available active safety gear and tech goodies you can think of—none of them offer Audi’s Virtual Cockpit. This 12.3-inch instrument-binnacle-cum-infotainment-display is the kind of groundbreaking, configurable interface we’ve been waiting for since manufacturers started replacing analog gauges with TFT screens. Virtual Cockpit comes standard on Prestige models (a $9500 uptick exclusive to the 3.0T) and is optional on Premium Plus models as part of the Vision package ($2000), which also includes full LED headlights and a surround-view camera system.

Also exclusive to the Prestige is the $4000 Adaptive Chassis package that includes air springs. Oversize wheels may look great but often destroy a vehicle’s ride quality. Audi’s air-sprung Q7, however, seems tuned perfectly to the dampers and the 20-inch wheels. The Q7 soaks up bumps, cracks, and potholes like its 5000 pounds really are riding on a pillow of air. Plus, this package includes rear-wheel steering, which works at speeds below 37 mph to shrink the standard 40.7-foot turning circle to something more manageable. The Q7’s rock-solid structure prevents even a whiff of cowl shake, and there’s enough dynamic composure for genuine fun to be had hustling through corners, should you decide to venture off the interstate system.

In contrast to some of the competition, the Audi’s interior and exterior styling seem less artistic than they do engineered, but this isn’t exactly a drab vehicle, and the fit, finish, and materials are at the top of the class. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway, and if you’re looking for a mid-size luxury SUV, the Q7 is as beautiful as they come.
2017 Audi Q7

VEHICLE TYPE:front-engine, all-wheel-drive, 7-passenger, 4-door hatchbackBASE PRICE:$49,950–$65,250ENGINES:turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve 2.0-liter inline-4, 252 hp, 273 lb-ft; supercharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.0-liter V-6, 333 hp, 325 lb-ftTRANSMISSION:8-speed automatic with manual shifting modeCURB WEIGHT (C/D EST):4800–4950 lbFUEL ECONOMY:EPA combined/city/highway driving: 21–22/19–20/25 mpg
As this year marks the inaugural 10Best Trucks and SUVs competition, we couldn't follow our usual 10Best procedure of limiting the invitees to the previous year's winners plus vehicles that are new or significantly updated. Therefore, we also invited some competitors based on our previous experiences, including (but not limited to) comparison-test results. As with 10Best Cars, a competing vehicle must have a base price of less than $80,000 and be on sale by January 31, 2017. Unlike 10Best Cars, our Trucks and SUVs awards are given out by category. Next year, we will invite the returning winners, new and/or significantly updated models, and the models that were unavailable for evaluation this year.

For the mid-size luxury SUV segment we invited the following:

Acura MDX Hybrid*
Audi Q7
BMW X5
Maserati Levante
Mercedes-Benz GLE-class
Porsche Cayenne*
Volvo XC90

*Unavailable for testing
      12-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Great tech and cabin, too bad that it looks more like a station wagon than SUV. I would swap wheels to larger profile and add front/rear/side lips to make it seat higher and look like real SUV.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Great tech and cabin, too bad that it looks more like a station wagon than SUV. I would swap wheels to larger profile and add front/rear/side lips to make it seat higher and look like real SUV.
I believe that's the "point". To make it more of a large wagon and not a typical boxy SUV. Actually... this can be said for ALL of these competitors.
      12-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

If I wanted a wagon I would have bought A6 Allroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I believe that's the "point". To make it more of a large wagon and not a typical boxy SUV. Actually... this can be said for ALL of these competitors.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Beat with an ugly stick. A7 is the only thing uglier.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

That is one nice truck...I sometimes dream of having the exterior of my current M3 (which I love) with a modern, Audi interior...that would be my perfect car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Well... The Buyers of these vehicles are what drives styling. From the looks of it, there is clearly a market. The All-Road is waaaay too tiny to even be considered a SUV. So it's not even a consideration for me or buyers in this segment.
      12-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Dreamer View Post
That is one nice truck...I sometimes dream of having the exterior of my current M3 (which I love) with a modern, Audi interior...that would be my perfect car.
Audi definitely makes among the nicest interiors across it's entire lineup.
      12-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #9
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Although it looks good, once driven you'll know why X5 is a much superior SUV. I test drive one before I picked up the X5 and the amount of body roll and noise from inside the cabin was unbelievable. Hope Audi addressed those issues but for my money the X5 took the cake...
Appreciate 1
oolas3388.00
      12-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
Although it looks good, once driven you'll know why X5 is a much superior SUV. I test drive one before I picked up the X5 and the amount of body roll and noise from inside the cabin was unbelievable. Hope Audi addressed those issues but for my money the X5 took the cake...
I've driven them both. The X5 is definitely "more sport" but that is certainly not the point of this vehicle or lineup. The X5 lacks way more "utility and space" to even be in this lineup actually. I believe the X7 would be a better comparison if it were available. For my wife and kids and all of traveling any significant distance, the suspension and setup of the Q or even the XC90 is much more desirable.
      12-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
I've driven them both. The X5 is definitely "more sport" but that is certainly not the point of this vehicle or lineup. The X5 lacks way more "utility and space" to even be in this lineup actually. I believe the X7 would be a better comparison if it were available. For my wife and kids and all of traveling any significant distance, the suspension and setup of the Q or even the XC90 is much more desirable.
Yes I conure that Q is more of a utility SUV than the X5 but I didn't find the build quality on par with the BMW, referring to all the rattle and noise inside the cabin. That was probably the deal breaker for me.

Even the salesman who accompanied my wife and I couldn't understand the noise coming from the back where he was sitting or explain it...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #12
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Ive Owned A C7 RS6 and fit and finish was better than my M4. No rattles no breakdowns no nothing. Smooth as butter.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13851.00
      12-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #13
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
Yes I conure that Q is more of a utility SUV than the X5 but I didn't find the build quality on par with the BMW, referring to all the rattle and noise inside the cabin. That was probably the deal breaker for me.

Even the salesman who accompanied my wife and I couldn't understand the noise coming from the back where he was sitting or explain it...
That is very surprising. But I could see that deterring me as well on a test drive.
      12-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #14
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I'm really digging the new Q7. I'm actually gonna check one out this weekend. I saw a grey one on the road today and it looked pretty attractive to me. I like the understated design. For the money at $65-70k, this thing is packed with technology. If someone bought an X5 over this today I'd be bold enough to call them stupid. The X5's exterior design dated so quickly. No wonder BMW is gonna skip a facelift and go straight to a redesign in 2019 lol.

I'll report back after the weekend if I hear any rattles lol. Hard to believe when nearly every review of the new Q7 mentions its remarkably quiet ride and first rate build quality.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13851.00
      12-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #15
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

I see the new Q7's everyday by me and they lack road presence. Very easy to miss them.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #16
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Believe it or not Audi actually made the new Q5 taller... so I'm not really sure what's their reason to make the new Q7 a wagon like.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/...udi-q5-review/

Quote:

Last edited by Sedoy; 12-07-2016 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #17
spumoni1984
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 Imola Red M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
I see the new Q7's everyday by me and they lack road presence. Very easy to miss them.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #18
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spumoni1984 View Post
lol. I see them pretty often but you really have to look to see what it is. They all look the same. Doesnt catch your eye. In other words, boring.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #19
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

It's not an Escalade. But it is far from boring. And Audi still makes the best DRL's in the business and the new design is very eye-catching:

Also, I find this latest model even more appealing since they hardened up some of the lines all around.
      12-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #20
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^
Going off course a bit here but have you looked at or seen the new Armada?
I like it.
I've seen it in pearl white and black and both caught my eye.
      12-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #21
nittany
shortstop
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

I bought the Q7 for my wife to haul the kiddos around, I have to say it's a great suv. The exterior is little bland but the interior makes up for it. It's a very nimble suv with 333 hp/325 tq. The interior is too quiet for me, no noise at all and no rattles in our Q7. The virtual cockpit is nice but we never use it for the maps. We just use the HUD that shows the directions on it. Definitely recommend for a family hauler..
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13851.00
      12-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #22
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
^
Going off course a bit here but have you looked at or seen the new Armada?
I like it.
I've seen it in pearl white and black and both caught my eye.
I have not seen it in person, but I'm sure I will. Texans love their SUVs!

I do see plenty of QX80's though. It is an eye-catching vehicle if not for the sheer size.

To Nittany... There is no such thing as "too quiet" in a Premium SUV or Vehicle. Unless of course it's purpose built: ///M, AMG, etc.
I'm glad to hear it has been very quiet for you. That makes it all the more attractive.