M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Back to 8 series but...

01-01-2024, 08:40 PM   #1
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Currently Audi E-Tron GT

Back to 8 series but...

Hi all
I had an 840d for a couple of years.
In many ways this was the best car I've ever owned although at times I found the diesel engine less than entirely refined and the stop start had a mind of it's own (rarely working as expected).

Having had an E-Tron GT for a while I've decided to go back to an 8 Series but this time considering 840i.

Couple of questions:
1) My 840d was X-Drive and really felt like it was on rails. Is the lack of 4WD in the 840i an issue? I very rarely push the car in driving but how about when roads are a little icy etc?

2) Also, am I correct that there's no rear-wheel steering in the 840i? Such a long car, is that an issue for anyone? (The 840d could bend around corners!) I may be wrong about this....

Any other thoughts on 840i vs 840d? (I dont do high mileage so extra fuel costs wont be too much of a problem.) Hoping the engine is a little more refined?..

Many thanks!

ps I tested an M440i as an alternative and it drove REALLY nicely but the interior build quality is just nowhere near the 8 series and once you've had that it's hard to go backwards..

Last edited by JCSurrey; 01-01-2024 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:12 AM   #2
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Hi mate, welcome back (nearly!).

I’ve never owned an 840d, but onto my second 840i (GC now, previously a Coupe).

The B58 is a terrific engine - well praised in the industry, and is a great blend of power, refinement, and economy. Petrol definitely the best option if you’re doing low mileage, but even still it will manage some great economy. I do about 12/13k a year, which is mostly spent on the motorway and I can easily get low 40’s MPG from it. Ex-works average is 33.9 MPG.

It’s plenty fast for UK roads, and still has great grip and traction despite only being RWD, and despite its size is still engaging on a twisty road.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:44 AM   #3
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks so much!
That's definitely given me more confidence to press ahead! ��
Am I right that the RWD cars don't have 4-wheel steering? ( That was so awesome on my 840d and I have it on the E-Tron GT too)
If so is it still ok in car parks etc where space is tight?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 08:22 AM   #4
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes they don’t have RWS as standard, but may have been an option (I don’t know for sure on the latter). It’s a big old car as you’ll know - I tend to avoid multi-stories, purely just because of how wide it is / fear of kerbing wheels because of the stupid designs in most of them, but I’ve found manoeuvrability to be fine in general, even with the extra length in the GC.

As always with these things, take one out for a test drive and see what you think, but it’ll be a sad day when I have to get rid of mine - genuinely no idea what I’d buy that would match it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 08:56 AM   #5
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks mate.
Traded my 8 for an E-Tron GT which is ridiculously fast and amazing in many ways. (The smoothness and refinement of a high end EV is unmatched)
But actually doesn't feel as special as the BMW. Materials, fit and finish all feel cheap in comparison, adaptive cruise is horrible compared to the BM, steering wheel doesn't feel as good in the hand, and in hindsight it was an expensive mistake.

Feels really good to be going back to the car I love.
How do you find the stop start? (It did feel a touch clunky in the diesel..)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 09:00 AM   #6
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSurrey View Post
Hi all
I had an 840d for a couple of years.
In many ways this was the best car I've ever owned although at times I found the diesel engine less than entirely refined and the stop start had a mind of it's own (rarely working as expected).

Having had an E-Tron GT for a while I've decided to go back to an 8 Series but this time considering 840i.

Couple of questions:
1) My 840d was X-Drive and really felt like it was on rails. Is the lack of 4WD in the 840i an issue? I very rarely push the car in driving but how about when roads are a little icy etc?

2) Also, am I correct that there's no rear-wheel steering in the 840i? Such a long car, is that an issue for anyone? (The 840d could bend around corners!) I may be wrong about this....

Any other thoughts on 840i vs 840d? (I dont do high mileage so extra fuel costs wont be too much of a problem.) Hoping the engine is a little more refined?..

Many thanks!

ps I tested an M440i as an alternative and it drove REALLY nicely but the interior build quality is just nowhere near the 8 series and once you've had that it's hard to go backwards..
I have had an 840i GC for about eighteen months. Best comment I can make is I plan on keeping it for at least another six years.

Does everything I want (boot could be a bit bigger I suppose), performance is way more than enough in the real world.

Lack of 4wd or rear steering has never crossed my mind. Again in the real world 4wd is a marginal improvement 95% of the year if you are really pushing the car…for the other 5% of frost/snow unless you are going to stick winter tyres on it’ll make very little difference as it will still be better off in the garage.

Diesels are the spawn of the devil by the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 09:07 AM   #7
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Seaford

If you're happy in a GC then I should be fine in a coupe.
As much as I loved my 840d I was starting to dislike the diesel engine which is why I ended up talking myself into the E-tron (fool! ��)

I tested a 4 Series and as I said, the drive was actually sublime, but I just couldn't get used to that interior after having the 8...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 09:10 AM   #8
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Might take me a while to find the right car though.
My previous 8 had pretty much every option ticked....
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:11 AM   #9
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate.
Traded my 8 for an E-Tron GT which is ridiculously fast and amazing in many ways. (The smoothness and refinement of a high end EV is unmatched)
But actually doesn't feel as special as the BMW. Materials, fit and finish all feel cheap in comparison, adaptive cruise is horrible compared to the BM, steering wheel doesn't feel as good in the hand, and in hindsight it was an expensive mistake.

Feels really good to be going back to the car I love.
How do you find the stop start? (It did feel a touch clunky in the diesel..)
We’ve all made those! That’s why I’m very careful and considered in what I buy now haha.

Stop/Start I just turn off as soon as I get in the car - I’ve actually got BimmerCode and keep meaning to just code it off but never get around to it.

What spec are you after? Coupe or GC?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:47 AM   #10
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Coupe with Comfort, tech, vision, driving assist pro, parking, (clarity if poss - so much nicer than the plastic), Alcantara etc.
Prob 2019 or 2020 Sub 20k miles.

I'm patient. Would rather wait for the perfect car than make another mistake!
(Thanks for normalising me so generously! )
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 12:11 PM   #11
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Coupe with Comfort, tech, vision, driving assist pro, parking, (clarity if poss - so much nicer than the plastic), Alcantara etc.
Prob 2019 or 2020 Sub 20k miles.

I'm patient. Would rather wait for the perfect car than make another mistake!
(Thanks for normalising me so generously! )
You are right to wait - after a long search I ended up with an 840with literally every option other than a tow bar and I’m glad I did. Removing all the toys would significantly decrease the experience for me. Driver Assist is an absolute must for motorway and stop/start traffic IMHO.

Bear in mind the rear seat in the coupe is only suitable for people,you don’t like!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:30 PM   #12
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hahaha yes I remember.
We do have a larger SUV type car for people with legs.
Most of the time in my car I'm on my own or with 1 passenger.

And you're so right. Lots of cars out there without the nice options and would be very painful to do that after having had them..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:30 PM   #13
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Absolutely wait for the right spec, and it’s definitely a buyers market for 8’s at the minute, as they’ve taken a hit as the car market has crashed through its own arse in the last month or so.

Only thing missing from mine that I would have liked if I’d specced it myself is the pan roof, but it wasn’t a must, and has its drawbacks too. Mine also has the Ivory interior which really lifts the cabin. The big one for me was the B&W sound (my Coupe only had HK). Mine is Tech Plus Pack, Comfort Plus Pack, and M-sport Pro Pack. Had it ceramic coated and front end PPF done when I got it. It was only 10 months old and done 4k miles when I picked it up, but the paint was pretty badly swirled…no doubt from the awful £6 scratch n shine places
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      01-02-2024, 02:17 PM   #14
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

That is absolutely STUNNING.
Such a great colour combo.
I love the Ivory interior (my 840d was black). Is it hard to keep clean?
Are you paranoid about wearing jeans etc? (I still have my heavy duty rubber 8 series mats too ��)
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 02:40 AM   #15
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

JCSurrey thanks mate!

Not really if I’m honest - I wear dark blue and black jeans and yes you do get doe transfer, but it’s nothing some Autoglym leather cleaner, detailing brush and microfibre doesn’t solve. I clean the interior monthly and it comes up good as new. Pic is when I last cleaned - car has done 18k and the seats looks as good as new.

Those winter mats are a godsend! Wouldn’t fancy going all year round with cream carpets!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      01-03-2024, 02:47 AM   #16
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

You've totally sold me on the light interior. Thanks!
Can't get over how awesome your car looks. That rear line of the GC is just stunning too.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 02:52 AM   #17
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

JCSurrey it’s definitely worth that little bit more work for upkeep in my opinion.

Yeah that’s one of its best angles - whilst the coupe is still the better looking car all round, I do think the GC is a little more menacing looking, especially in a dark colour. My old vs. new!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 04:14 AM   #18
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Plus one on the Ivory interior (gorgeous combination with Dravit Grey by the way)….the only people that say ‘it’s really hard to keep clean’ are people that haven’t owned one. I am eighteen months in and the leather cleaning kit I bought at the same time remains unopened in the garage.

I have, however, swapped the flooor mats out with OEM black!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 05:17 AM   #19
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Beemer, both your cars were/are beauties. The coupe is stunning in white too.
Might have a decent offer on my E-Tron today in which case I'm officially shopping for the 8...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 05:19 AM   #20
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cheers Seaford!
Great to hear you're happy with the Ivory too.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 12:56 PM   #21
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have another question.
I had the crafted clarity controls in my previous car.
How does the standard black selector feel in the 8?
When I tested the 4 series recently, the gear selector was the black plastic one and felt horribly cheap (I know new cars now have a switch rather than the knob).
You could literally feel the seam along the middle of the front of it where the two pieces of cheap plastic came together and as a major touch point this would really annoy me!
Is it any better made in the 8 or the same?..
(Just trying to figure out my spec list...thanks again!)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 02:12 PM   #22
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

If you don't do many miles, then when not go for the M850ix. I went from 840i to the current M850ix.

It's a completely different car in my opinion.
Appreciate 0