M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Assisted Driving View

01-05-2024, 07:18 PM   #1
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Currently Audi E-Tron GT

Assisted Driving View

So I'm now officially shopping for an 840i.
My 2019 840d did not have assisted driving view (the display in the middle of the cluster which shows the car and other vehicles around it that the car can see, particularly when acc is active).

Is this something introduced in later cars as I love the look of it and would love to have that on the new one if possible?...

I have read threads on using a wireless OBD Link to enable it but that kind of thing makes me nervous about breaking something!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 06:22 AM   #2
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSurrey View Post
My 2019 840d did not have assisted driving view (the display in the middle of the cluster which shows the car and other vehicles around it that the car can see, particularly when acc is active).

Is this something introduced in later cars as I love the look of it and would love to have that on the new one if possible?...

I have read threads on using a wireless OBD Link to enable it but that kind of thing makes me nervous about breaking something!
It wasn’t available on my UK 2020 840i when I bought it but magically appeared as part of a software update.

To be honest it isn’t overly helpful as it only shows vehicles in front or as they go past. Personally it wouldn’t bother me if it were to disappear as quick as it appeared.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 06:33 AM   #3
SmokieRiver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8

Garage List
2024 GMC AT4x HD  [0.00]
2023 BMW M8  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSurrey View Post

On the U.S. versions you can have the assisted driving view, map or nothing - It’s a selection in iDrive under settings->displays. I currently have nothing since I found the other two not useful. Not sure if it’s the same setup across the pond.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:32 AM   #4
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 03:54 AM   #5
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

This can be coded but you need have firmware above 07/2019 and driver assistance package that supports it.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 05:42 PM   #6
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Many thanks for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 06:43 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
My setting is for the map in the cluster (but agreed not that useful as have that on the iD7 screen plus HUD when in navigation) and if DAP is active the Assisted Driving view takes over.

Once again not a requirement but I'm a tech geek so at times I like to see what the car "sees" via the view. In fact although not perfect it will show cars vs large vehicles, e.g., a 18 wheeler. Sometimes a very large cargo van will get the large vehicle icon. I just chuckle as just pure amusement on my part.

To my absolute chagrin in iD8 on the wife's LCI X5 there is no way to have the assisted driving view take over the cluster. Rather it's always on or a bunch of other useless options. I chose fuel mileage since last fill-up as it is the most useful of the useless options. 😜
Appreciate 1
Accentu8703.50
      01-08-2024, 03:05 AM   #8
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
My setting is for the map in the cluster (but agreed not that useful as have that on the iD7 screen plus HUD when in navigation) and if DAP is active the Assisted Driving view takes over.

Once again not a requirement but I'm a tech geek so at times I like to see what the car "sees" via the view. In fact although not perfect it will show cars vs large vehicles, e.g., a 18 wheeler. Sometimes a very large cargo van will get the large vehicle icon. I just chuckle as just pure amusement on my part.

To my absolute chagrin in iD8 on the wife's LCI X5 there is no way to have the assisted driving view take over the cluster. Rather it's always on or a bunch of other useless options. I chose fuel mileage since last fill-up as it is the most useful of the useless options. 😜
Mine is spot on recognising different types of vehicles….including motorbikes!
Appreciate 1
Accentu8703.50
      01-08-2024, 07:27 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I’ve never really worked out why this is an option
Ok it looks “cool” but what actual benefit is it?
It’s showing what the system is doing but you should be looking outside and should you have to intervene if traffic condition warrant a change that the car doesn’t do , you just do that anyway

Agree on the map, useless the place for that is in the HUD or the infotainment screen. Anything with detailed info shouldn’t mean you have to take your eyes off the toad
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2024, 11:24 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
It’s showing what the system is doing but you should be looking outside and should you have to intervene if traffic condition warrant a change that the car doesn’t do , you just do that anyway

Agree on the map, useless the place for that is in the HUD or the infotainment screen. Anything with detailed info shouldn’t mean you have to take your eyes off the toad
Well in iD8 you do have the option to show assisted driving view. However, just like the cluster it's either always on or off vsy expectation the HUD is what it is until you trigger DAP and then the assisted driving view lights up.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 01:26 AM   #11
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

I think the map is in the dash as it is shared with other models that do not have HUD as standard - it is exactly the same (other than model badging) as that in my 2018 330i (albeit that HUD as an upgrade).
Appreciate 0