M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Current wait times for custom built 8 series

01-07-2024, 01:35 PM   #1
angoya
Rep
Drives: bmw 840i

Current wait times for custom built 8 series

I've placed an order for a 2024 840 xdrive. The dealership told me it would take around 10 weeks to deliver the car. Is it true? Also heard bmw is pretty good lately in terms of timeline.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 05:53 PM   #2
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

sounds very correct to me. I had custom paint on mine and it took 1 month longer
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 06:36 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Agree as it sounds about right and back inline pre-COVID. In 2020 through 2022 it was a crap shoot on parts shortages or even if the car built waiting to be loaded on a freighter and then unloaded at the destination. Case-in-point Long Beach where all the BMWs for CA, AZ, etc. land there were 20+ freighters at a time backed up in 2022 waiting to unload cargo.

My bet is you 840i lands in Long Beach as it's the closest VDC to Seattle. There's threads on how to track it once it hits a freighter and that can be fun within itself. Just be prepared for the potential drop off in TX and then down through the Panama Canal to Long Beach. At least that's the journey my M850i took. 👍
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50
      01-08-2024, 12:26 AM   #4
angoya
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_08 View Post
sounds very correct to me. I had custom paint on mine and it took 1 month longer
How do you order a custom paint? I didn't see that on the website (except a few pre listed colors)
Also, I am starting to feel if there were any features that I missed which weren't listed for selection on the website
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 12:27 AM   #5
angoya
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Agree as it sounds about right and back inline pre-COVID. In 2020 through 2022 it was a crap shoot on parts shortages or even if the car built waiting to be loaded on a freighter and then unloaded at the destination. Case-in-point Long Beach where all the BMWs for CA, AZ, etc. land there were 20+ freighters at a time backed up in 2022 waiting to unload cargo.

My bet is you 840i lands in Long Beach as it's the closest VDC to Seattle. There's threads on how to track it once it hits a freighter and that can be fun within itself. Just be prepared for the potential drop off in TX and then down through the Panama Canal to Long Beach. At least that's the journey my M850i took. ��
Yes mine should land at Long Beach (most likely) as I've placed the order via long beach BMW. Also, tracking the car once its loaded onto a ship is incredibly cool. I did that with my 440 wayyy back in 2016. Was super fun.

Also if you don't mind me asking, how much time was your M850 in the "Your order has been received, and we're making space in the production schedule." status? Mine seems to be in that for a few days. No movement so far. TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 11:39 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by angoya View Post
How do you order a custom paint? I didn't see that on the website (except a few pre listed colors)
Also, I am starting to feel if there were any features that I missed which weren't listed for selection on the website
On an 8-series there are several Individual serial paints but add to the time. Plus, on my M850i the full leather was considered Individual as well. There a butt load of non-serial paints for the 8-series but $5K plus (outside of the 6 months they opened them up for all GCs back in 2021).

I almost did verde ermes green on the second M850i build but passed on it as although I love green it would clash with the chosen Fiona Red/Black full leather Individual. So went with Tanzanite Blue ($1909) and still added the additional week.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 11:36 AM   #7
angoya
Rep

Update, my build week is 11 February 2024
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 07:12 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by angoya View Post
Yes mine should land at Long Beach (most likely) as I've placed the order via long beach BMW. Also, tracking the car once its loaded onto a ship is incredibly cool. I did that with my 440 wayyy back in 2016. Was super fun.

Also if you don't mind me asking, how much time was your M850 in the "Your order has been received, and we're making space in the production schedule." status? Mine seems to be in that for a few days. No movement so far. TIA
Honestly didn't track that stage nor any others until the 1st build was done and on a freighter. 1st build was in August and landed in early October. But even before that I realized the car had ZDX (watered down version) vs ZDA (full version with 3D parking cameras, etc.).

I never took possession of the first build (1 of 5 allocated to the US) as although my CA and the dealership manager tried to change the order but it was locked in due to the Individual lock which is 30 days prior to build. To make it right they escalated to BMW NA and got me an expedited build for the 2nd order.

Final build date 10/23/2019 and it landed at the dealer on 12/6 and I took possession on 12/9 with the dealer eradicating the Cerium trim (at their cost) on the build as it wasn't on the order. There's a thread on that aka Cerium eradication program.

Every custom order gets priority 1 at the VDC, etc. But my second order got bumped up beyond that due to BMW's fiasco. There's a thread on ZDX vs ZDA and I never gave up on it and with the help of my dealer, etc. BMW USA finally nuked it off the website configurator in January 2020 with ZDA the only option. 👍
Appreciate 0