M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Advice on M850 exhaust

11-12-2023, 11:01 AM   #1
golfdds
Rep
Drives: M850i

Advice on M850 exhaust

Hey guys,
I'm looking for some advice on how to get a bit more sound from my exhaust without a full set up. I'm not really familiar with the OEM exhaust on this car. I've read where guys have removed resonator with straight pipes and some say go x-pipe. Some people say don't remove resonator because it causes drone in the cabin. I definitely don't want any droning in the car.

I had a resonator delete with straight pipes on my W212 MB E63 S-AMG that sounded great with no drone at all that was a super inexpensive mod.

What do you guys recommend and does anyone have a picture/diagram of the OEM exhaust to point out where the cats, resonator and muffler are located.

I'm a complete newb on anything mechanical and would have to tell the muffler shop what to modify.
Also, any shop recommendations in the CA Bay Area?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 04:19 PM   #2
rw99
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i coupe

I’m assuming that the sound in Sport+ is not aggressive enough for you?

To me, it’s the lack of exhaust tips that drives me crazy. There’s a thread here on that topic, and I know some of those guys have considered more extensive exhaust work… maybe some info there that might be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 07:36 PM   #3
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

I drove hard in sport mode by my wife (she was in our minivan). Later I asked if the car sounded loud and she said yes

That made me happy, because I can’t really tell how loud this thing is
Appreciate 1
fmzip1649.50
      11-21-2023, 01:59 PM   #4
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

It's loud to the point it turn heads around when it's in Sport +. Even when I start the car, because I have the engine in sport as default, it's really loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
I drove hard in sport mode by my wife (she was in our minivan). Later I asked if the car sounded loud and she said yes

That made me happy, because I can’t really tell how loud this thing is
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 06:27 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdds View Post
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some advice on how to get a bit more sound from my exhaust without a full set up. I'm not really familiar with the OEM exhaust on this car. I've read where guys have removed resonator with straight pipes and some say go x-pipe. Some people say don't remove resonator because it causes drone in the cabin. I definitely don't want any droning in the car.

I had a resonator delete with straight pipes on my W212 MB E63 S-AMG that sounded great with no drone at all that was a super inexpensive mod.

What do you guys recommend and does anyone have a picture/diagram of the OEM exhaust to point out where the cats, resonator and muffler are located.

I'm a complete newb on anything mechanical and would have to tell the muffler shop what to modify.
Also, any shop recommendations in the CA Bay Area?

Thanks
Plenty of options out there and given you are in the Bay area a trip south to r33_RGSport in LA is honestly your best bet as he can doi it all no questions asked.

I live with my stock 2020 M850i with the valves open (just need to pull a fuse) and ASD negated (another fuse). In Sport Individual with the engine on Sport Plus it's smiles to gallon no questions asked. Not as aggressive as prior neutering in mid 2020 but still shocks the neighbors for the win. 👍
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      12-05-2023, 11:22 AM   #6
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850i Convertible

Does pulling fuse 203 for the exhaust valves throw a CEL?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 02:43 AM   #7
sheikh2
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i

I'm also in the Bay and would like to know what you guys come up with. I recall test driving a 2019 m850i at SF BMW and it sounded great, when I bought a 2019 m850i from a different dealer I noticed it didn't sound as great as the one in SF. And after updates pushed it doesn't sound cool on remote start anymore... I have CPO warranty still. Curious if res delete with x pipe or straight is better. I just want it 20 to 30% more louder and aggressive in sport. While staying humble in eco mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 03:01 AM   #8
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh2 View Post
I'm also in the Bay and would like to know what you guys come up with. I recall test driving a 2019 m850i at SF BMW and it sounded great, when I bought a 2019 m850i from a different dealer I noticed it didn't sound as great as the one in SF. And after updates pushed it doesn't sound cool on remote start anymore... I have CPO warranty still. Curious if res delete with x pipe or straight is better. I just want it 20 to 30% more louder and aggressive in sport. While staying humble in eco mode.
Straight is louder than xpipe, I had both and I prefer X…
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 09:13 AM   #9
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Go to your iDrive settings and set engine sound to sport, you will wake up your neighbours every time you start the car including with remote start. I’m on the latest software update and have no idea what people mean when they say the software update made the M850 quieter!

The other day my car was at the dealer waiting to be brought into the shop but parked inside the service department across from the reception area, when they started the car, the girl at reception almost jumped off her seat which was surprising to me as these ladies hear all kinds of cars during the day! :-)

And yes, my car is stock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh2 View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:00 PM   #10
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
Go to your iDrive settings and set engine sound to sport, you will wake up your neighbours every time you start the car including with remote start. I’m on the latest software update and have no idea what people mean when they say the software update made the M850 quieter!

The other day my car was at the dealer waiting to be brought into the shop but parked inside the service department across from the reception area, when they started the car, the girl at reception almost jumped off her seat which was surprising to me as these ladies hear all kinds of cars during the day! :-)

And yes, my car is stock!
I’m sorry, but………..no

You and I own the same car and both have the same settings. Unless your neighbors live inside your garage and the girl at the reception area had super sensitive hearing aids on, this car is NOT loud at startup, whether cold start or not.

It is positively quiet. My neighbor, used to me having some loud cars, once told me he absolutely can’t hear this car when I start it up in the morning.

I stand behind this car sometimes with remote start and I’m shaking my head with disappointment.

Anybody who thinks this car is loud with OEM settings has just never heard a properly opened up exhaust before. You will be blown away when you do—night and day difference, LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:41 PM   #11
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Quote:
I’m sorry, but………..no

You and I own the same car and both have the same settings. Unless your neighbors live inside your garage and the girl at the reception area had super sensitive hearing aids on, this car is NOT loud at startup, whether cold start or not.

It is positively quiet. My neighbor, used to me having some loud cars, once told me he absolutely can’t hear this car when I start it up in the morning.

I stand behind this car sometimes with remote start and I’m shaking my head with disappointment.

Anybody who thinks this car is loud with OEM settings has just never heard a properly opened up exhaust before. You will be blown away when you do—night and day difference, LOL
I wonder what you might be experiencing with your car, I have a redeye charger with muffler delete and my m850i isn't much if any quieter on cold start with engine sound menu set sport on 3/2023 software.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 09:27 PM   #12
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugrac View Post
Does pulling fuse 203 for the exhaust valves throw a CEL?
No, it does not cause a CEL. I pulled my fuse, coded the car to start in sport individual, and disabled ASD. The cold starts are pretty loud for a stock car which is what I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 08:16 AM   #13
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

I don't know how your car sounded but if my car gets any louder it will be quite annoying and it would sound like some of those young kids that have these huge mufflers on their little Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic driving around disturbing piece. I wouldn't want my BMW to sound that cheap... I want my car to sound loud enough while keeping it's prestige as a high-end BMW. If I get some time this weekend, I will record how the car sounds!

By-the-way, my car still sounds the same as when the software was still dated to 2020. I don't remember the full date but it was mid 2020 date...

Quote:
I’m sorry, but………..no

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 08:21 AM   #14
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntech View Post
I wonder what you might be experiencing with your car, I have a redeye charger with muffler delete and my m850i isn't much if any quieter on cold start with engine sound menu set sport on 3/2023 software.
I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that.

We have the exact same car, and there is only so much software can do when you have resonators, mufflers, etc. If you are saying that this highly muffled exhaust sounds the same on start up as your charger with a deleted muffler, then you either modded your BMW and forgot about it, or you deleted the muffler on a different car than your Charger and mixed things up.

It is literally impossible for what you are describing to be true without a major exhaust mod on the M850i

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 05:07 PM   #15
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Here you go as promised! Have a listen....

Quote:
I’m sorry, but………..no

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 10:04 AM   #16
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

^ Being that I have the same car, I’m quite familiar. A few points:

1. Exhaust sounds just don’t come through very well on internet videos
2. You held the mic right next to the exhaust tip, so it’s obviously going to be loud

Ultimately, though, it’s the same sound that my car makes and that’s just not waking up neighbors. If you want to hear a truly loud exhaust, listen to the cold start on my R8 with valveless, mufflerless titanium exhaust. It will change the whole way you view loudness with engine startups
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 07:39 PM   #17
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

You're comparing the M850 to an R8!!!!

Quote:
^ Being that I have the same car, I’m quite familiar. A few points:

1. Exhaust sounds just don’t come through very well on internet videos
2. You held the mic right next to the exhaust tip, so it’s obviously going to be loud

Ultimately, though, it’s the same sound that my car makes and that’s just not waking up neighbors. If you want to hear a truly loud exhaust, listen to the cold start on my R8 with valveless, mufflerless titanium exhaust. It will change the whole way you view loudness with engine startups
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 08:11 AM   #18
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

^ Well, I'm comparing my M850i to my 911 which had an exhaust, my BMW M340i which had an exhaust, and other cars I've heard as well.

For an OEM exhaust, it sounds decent, don't get me wrong. But I disagree with the assertion that the OEM exhaust on this car is "wake your neighbor up" loud at cold start.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 1
rw99104.00
      01-08-2024, 10:19 PM   #19
sheikh2
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i

Moopai, I want to thank you for taking your time making the video. But it sounds just like my m850i now. These m850i used to sound way better. I originally had some "xxx.2017" software. It was so old that I couldn't even use Android Auto, only apple car play. After having the dealer push the latest software I got my android auto but I also got the muted sounds that you experience as loud. Trust me this is not loud. It used to roar and make a Mercedes AMG GT feel scared. Lol
Appreciate 0