M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Formula 1 Eni Magyar Nagydíj 2011

07-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #67
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Attached Images

07-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #68
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
great race! good job by Button after two bad endings in the last races, he deserved it. Bad call by McLaren, putting Lewis on the option instead of the prime, it was all downhill after that. He still kept his composure and was able to steal 4th from Webber. Overall, looks like the McLarens have caught up to the RedBulls, but SV always manages to be at the right spot even though he really struggled at first
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #69
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
great race! good job by Button after two bad endings in the last races, he deserved it. Bad call by McLaren, putting Lewis on the option instead of the prime, it was all downhill after that. He still kept his composure and was able to steal 4th from Webber. Overall, looks like the McLarens have caught up to the RedBulls, but SV always manages to be at the right spot even though he really struggled at first
A bit lucky for button to manage enough heat and grip and have decent pace with the option tires. A great drive from jenson that he never put a foot wrong.

LEwis on the other hand an unlucky day for him. A spin off and recover at the wrong moment caused di resta went off to avoid. Then struggle with the options during the sprinkle and force the team and himself to switch to inters (combined with radio problem).

Overall Mclaren was doing really well and caught up with RBR at the moment.

We can see them very strong in Spa next month.
      07-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #70
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
see everyone for spa in a month. time to rewatch the first 10 races of the season
with 85 points leads in the WDC over 2nd place, i think VET can now feel confident he will be double WDC
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #71
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Wow 88 pit stops. Crazy.
Really entertaining race. Bad call by LH = win for JB. SV smooth & steady for great positioning.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #72
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
what was the deal with heidfeld's renault that was explosive!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #73
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Congrats to JB for a great calculated win!

Hamilton had it, and I think the call for the super soft when the rest went to softs was still right for him as he runs through tires a bit faster. His spin in the end cost him the race I think. That put him in direct contention with Button which may have helped encourage a pit stop to separate them a bit. Since he had to pit once more regardless, the loss of time was really what did it.

Also, on the penalty what I don't understand is that it was back markers passing by him. Why should the race leader get a penalty for impeding on a back marker? The safety side of the issue is important but surely they should yield to the front runners in all circumstances.
      07-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #74
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkx5m View Post
what was the deal with heidfeld's renault that was explosive!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad Heidfeld got out ok, but that was certainly an exciting moment. I wonder if the FIA might force Renault to correct their exhausts as a result from that.
      07-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #75
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

One other comment, Vettel is clearly weak when it is wet. His pace was very conservative.
      07-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #76
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
One other comment, Vettel is clearly weak when it is wet. His pace was very conservative.
I beg to differ. Please refer the '08 Itialian GP, his first win in F1.
      07-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #77
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Seriously? He's got to be one of the best wet-weather drivers out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #78
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Again, despite not on top podium. Still a good day for SV and RBR in the office.
WDC lead to 85 points, and WCC to be 103 points.
I'll go ahead and say it, WDC is over. Barring Vettel's retirement in 4 or 5 races straight, he'll win. It's a question of when, not if.

Decent race, was quite interesting. However, the track layout meant that overtaking was pretty tough when the track was dry.

As for Spa? I think Ferrari will be pretty quick, we know that they are very quick in the high-speed corners, which define the track layout. Mclaren are also traditionally very strong there. Red bull usually struggle at Spa, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #79
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Quote:
Congrats to JB for a great calculated win!

Hamilton had it, and I think the call for the super soft when the rest went to softs was still right for him as he runs through tires a bit faster. His spin in the end cost him the race I think. That put him in direct contention with Button which may have helped encourage a pit stop to separate them a bit. Since he had to pit once more regardless, the loss of time was really what did it.

Also, on the penalty what I don't understand is that it was back markers passing by him. Why should the race leader get a penalty for impeding on a back marker? The safety side of the issue is important but surely they should yield to the front runners in all circumstances.
I disagree; Hamilton had a spin and stayed right on the track, which is pretty narrow (not saying he did it on purpose). Then with complete disregard to the fact that there are other cars coming at very high speeds, he proceeded to sort himself out right there and then. He knew they were there behind him, or at least how close they were. Di Resta even went off track to avoid him, and he wasn't a backmarker. No one was expecting Hamilton to NOT wait, which is what everyone does all the time when they end up facing the wrong way... (think Webber in canada after the first green flag, for instance). He was probably angry at himself, whatever.. but you just don't do that... the other guys had no time/space to react; one thing is to yield to the leaders and another is to predict the future. Luckily no incident came from it, though it cost Di Resta a few seconds.

Quote:
I'm glad Heidfeld got out ok, but that was certainly an exciting moment. I wonder if the FIA might force Renault to correct their exhausts as a result from that.
mm all fires are different, and there aren't that many. so chances are things could blow up if you let them burn for long enough... just a theory. one thing they MIGHT comment on is the fact that they kept going even though things were obviously going very badly (even heidfeld said he was hoping the wind would put it out). hard to say, it happens very fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #80
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
I have a hard time remembering when the races are (I know, Im just getting into F1, still getting used to it). This is the second race I've seen and both times it rained (well Canada was a monsoon) and both times Button won. So if you are a McLaren fan, you're welcome

I'm setting reminders for the next races, I'm liking this. Hungry was a great race, even though I was hoping Hamilton would win it. Lousy pit strategy, and I think a poor drive-thru penalty call on his spin, both cost him the win. But props to Button for picking up the slack.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #81
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

07-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #82
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

I wonder how that marshall is doing.

is that the rear tyre of Schumacher's car actually touching the diffuser? looks like he is wondering too
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #83
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
I think Heidfeld's fire was partly due to being in the pits too long and overheating.

Great race, disappointed to see Hamilton finish 4th though.

Also:
      08-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #84
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

JB would be in a very solid position right now if it wasn't for his past 2 retirements.

And that spin was classic Hamilton. He's always been an ass on and off track, like schumaker in a few ways. Knew he was getting that penalty the moment I caught the spin (the speed guys didn't even notice it for a solid 2 minutes)

Also I get it. You want them to pit for inters even though there is still a noticeable dry line. Way to go...

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #85
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Yeah I wasn't sure why the Speed guys were miffed by the penalty... seemed pretty obvious to me. I thought it was an extremely entertaining race to watch. The contrast in driving styles between Button and Hamilton is extraordinary. Silky smooth Button and jerky jarring Hamilton.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #86
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

definitely one of the best races i've seen in a while. It was a battle of the brains.
      08-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #87
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Yeah I wasn't sure why the Speed guys were miffed by the penalty... seemed pretty obvious to me. I thought it was an extremely entertaining race to watch. The contrast in driving styles between Button and Hamilton is extraordinary. Silky smooth Button and jerky jarring Hamilton.
Well, the Speed commentators are pretty close to being functionally retarded, so it doesn't surprise me that they missed the penalty call.After listening to Martin Brundle, David Coulthard, and Eddie Jordan call the races, I just can't even stand to listen to Varsha, Hobbs, and Matchett. The guys on Speed just sound so uninformed about the sport they are commentating on. Yes Hobbs drive an F1 car 40 years ago, and Matchett used to turn a wrench on one 15+ years ago, but they have NO current experience with this sport and the cars. Listening to Varsha talk about F1 is like listening to someone who just read his first Autosport magazine telling you all about F1.
      08-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #88
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Probably some seemed harsh as di Resta were no where near fighting with Hamilton. But as far as the stewards concern, regardless did he see di Resta coming or not. His recovery forced the Force India driver off the track to avoid him. Is that simple.

I remember DC was quite sharp on catching those penalties. He pointed out Heikki (?) overtook someone when Nick Heidfeld's exploded and overtook under yellow flag immediately, as well as Lewis's recovery.