M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition How to get cut?

03-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

How to get cut?

I've got a decent cut going as of now, you can definitely see that I have a 6 pack, it's just not a RIPPED 6 pack. I'll be honest and say upfront that my diet isn't strict at all. I don't eat garbage but every now and then I'll have some ice cream or pie, but mostly I eat pretty good; lots of healthy protein like eggs and chicken and carbs like whole wheat bread and oatmeal.

I've been doing sub 8 minute mile runs after my workouts at the gym, as well as various ab exercises, but was wondering if anything else should be done. Obviously diet is important, what kind of diets are beneficial for ripped abs/midsection? Any suggestions on workouts/cardio are welcome too...
      03-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

what's your core routine? maybe you need to switch it up?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
SleepyE90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bavarian

Swim.
Trust me.
I rarely work out (Once a week at most), I eat whatever I want whenever I want, and I have a very toned body and am pretty much ripped.
Swimming is by far the best all-around exercise you can do to get into shape and to get your body fit.

Good luck
      03-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
what's your core routine? maybe you need to switch it up?
I don't really have a 'routine' per se. It's just really casual light stuff, nothing hardcore. I broke my humerus about 8 months ago but it's healed now so I've been trying to do what I can.

My core exercises usually consist of ab crunch machine, decline reverse crunch, flat bench lying leg raise, frog sit ups, hyperextensions

I've been doing that routine for a while and probably do need to switch it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperlativE90 View Post
Swim.
Trust me.
I rarely work out (Once a week at most), I eat whatever I want whenever I want, and I have a very toned body and am pretty much ripped.
Swimming is by far the best all-around exercise you can do to get into shape and to get your body fit.

Good luck
Not a bad idea. I'll have to start swimming for sure.
      03-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

find the ab ripper exercise from p90x. 3x a week for 3 months will do the trick
      03-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

I don't care who you are, if you want to get cut, eat healhty! Do circuit/interval training to max out ur heart rate.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
I don't really have a 'routine' per se. It's just really casual light stuff, nothing hardcore. I broke my humerus about 8 months ago but it's healed now so I've been trying to do what I can.

My core exercises usually consist of ab crunch machine, decline reverse crunch, flat bench lying leg raise, frog sit ups, hyperextensions

I've been doing that routine for a while and probably do need to switch it up.

Not a bad idea. I'll have to start swimming for sure.
I'd definitely mix it up. A lot.

This guy, Scot Herman, has some great routines. I've been doing the same two routines (each consisting of about five different techniques) for the past year and I've been plateauing lately. Started following this guy's videos and it's like I'm tearing my core up all over again.

Here's just one example. He's got tons of core vids mixed with lower and upper body as well. I'm surprised at how helpful YouTube is. I've added so many new exercises to my normal routines.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Thanks man^ I'll definitely incorporate some of those exercises into my routine.
      03-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

shake weight
      03-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

These posts are bullshit.

Calories in....calories out.

We all have decent abs...they are just hid by fat. If you do any type of work out you have abs....its just you can't see them.

Can't spot reduce fat. You can do a million crunches a day...but if you dont lower your body fat it will not help.

Gotta lose the fat....which equals losing some pounds.

Cliffs:
Cardio, ab workouts and swimming will help abs but make them no more visable.

Can't reduce fat in one section of the body...when reducing it is an all over thing.

Gotta lose weight to lose fat.
      03-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I know that if you swim a lot you can get nice and lean.... but I've read that the "casual" swimmer doesn't typically loose any weight because after you swim you litterally want to eat your weight in carbs... and most people do just that.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
scs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post

We all have decent abs...they are just hid by fat. If you do any type of work out you have abs....its just you can't see them.

Can't spot reduce fat. You can do a million crunches a day...but if you dont lower your body fat it will not help.

Cliffs:

Can't reduce fat in one section of the body...when reducing it is an all over thing.

80% diet, 20% exercise. whatever your current diet is, cut several hundred calories, keep working out, and you'll lose the fat. body fat needs to be well below 10% to see definition.
      03-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

I'm actually pretty lean to begin with and am by no means fat, I'm 5'9 145 lbs at the moment. I still eat whatever I want most of the time.

I suppose I should cut down on the unhealthy saturated fats and carbs a bit, keep lifting weights and doing cardio, and I'll see results. Anyone have advice for what to eat and not eat in particular?

Last edited by TiAg335i; 03-22-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
scs
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm actually pretty lean to begin with and am by no means fat, I'm 5'9 145 lbs at the moment. I still eat whatever I want most of the time.

I suppose I should cut down on the unhealthy saturated fats and carbs a bit, keep lifting weights and doing cardio, and I'll see results. Anyone have advice for what to eat and not eat in particular?
cutting carbs, but upping protein will help for sure. keeping a log of your calories per day for a couple of weeks will help you see what and how much can be cut from your diet. once below 10% body fat, it requires (for me anyway) a lot of work to keep it there.

diet:

carbs: should come from whole grains (brown rice, sweet potatoes, some whole grain bread, etc.)
protein: should come from low fat meats/fish, beans, nuts, eggs/egg whites, non/low fat milk products, protein supplements
fats: nuts, flax, avocados, olive and grape seed oils etc.

the most important aspect to diet, is to avoid processed foods as much as possible, eat lots of veggies, avoid sugars, and drink lots of water (a gallon a day). space your meals out every 2.5-3hrs (keeps your metabolism going), and try to keep the carb/protein/fat ratios consistent.

ratios should be in this ballpark:

carbs: 50%
protein: 30%
fats: 20%

good luck!

Last edited by scs; 03-22-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:

Cliffs:

Thank god.

My clients who don't believe that the secret to being cut and great abs, is diet and cardio drive me up the wall. You can do crucnhes and variations to you bust your gut, but it won't mean crap if it's hidden by a layer of fat.

Start getting really picky about your diet, even when your eating certain foods. I advise my clients to write down everything they eat and when they eat it for a week. Then I take that and evaluate it and only make tweaks, it makes a world of difference.

If you can do that for a week and PM it to me I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Wow reread that, my post was choppy and sloppy as hell.

If you write down when your eating and what your eating for a week that will help a lot. I can't tell you how many people tell me they eat healthy, and when I break it down they may be eating healthy ofr the most part but it's all timed horribly.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #16
scs
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post

If you write down when your eating and what your eating for a week that will help a lot. I can't tell you how many people tell me they eat healthy, and when I break it down they may be eating healthy ofr the most part but it's all timed horribly.

yep, you have to know exactly what's going in your body in order to adjust and refine for specific goals (bulking, cutting or maintaining). keeping a food log while weighing yourself weekly will tell you which direction to go with your calories. -500 a day to lose a lb a week or, +500 to add a lb (along with exercise and healthy foods).
      03-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Thank god.

My clients who don't believe that the secret to being cut and great abs, is diet and cardio drive me up the wall. You can do crucnhes and variations to you bust your gut, but it won't mean crap if it's hidden by a layer of fat.

Start getting really picky about your diet, even when your eating certain foods. I advise my clients to write down everything they eat and when they eat it for a week. Then I take that and evaluate it and only make tweaks, it makes a world of difference.

If you can do that for a week and PM it to me I'd be more than happy to help you out.

does it really matter what you eat as opposed to eating whatever you want as long as you burn more calories off than you consumer?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Is brown rice a good carb for cutting?

I'm thinking of having some chicken and brown rice as a post-workout meal.
      03-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #19
scs
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is brown rice a good carb for cutting?

I'm thinking of having some chicken and brown rice as a post-workout meal.
yep, brown rice is good.
      03-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
does it really matter what you eat as opposed to eating whatever you want as long as you burn more calories off than you consumer?
Of course it matters what you eat. Saturated and trans fat will slow down ur metabolism.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #21
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Cliffs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs View Post

80% diet, 20% exercise. whatever your current diet is, cut several hundred calories, keep working out, and you'll lose the fat. body fat needs to be well below 10% to see definition.
Quote:
Thank god.

To these three^

I've known the OP was lean (sub-10% bodyfat IIRC?) since he's mentioned it on the forums before. You can have a low body fat % and still have sub-par abs. Core exercises are still crucial to proper ab definition.

He even stated it again in this thread.
vvv
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #22
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
diet:

carbs: should come from whole grains (brown rice, sweet potatoes, some whole grain bread, etc.) remove grains, stick to vegetables (broccoli, spinach, etc...) - some starches, ie- post-workout sweet potatoes
protein: should come from low fat meats/fish, beans, nuts, eggs/egg whites, non/low fat milk products dairy = insulin spike = storage, protein supplements
fats: nuts, flax, avocados, olive and grape seed oils etc.

the most important aspect to diet, is to avoid processed foods as much as possible, eat lots of veggies, avoid sugars, and drink lots of water (a gallon a day). sums it up right there space your meals out every 2.5-3hrs (keeps your metabolism going) not really necessary but whatever suits you, and try to keep the carb/protein/fat ratios consistent.
Quote:
good luck!
Appreciate 0