M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion If You had The Option To Re-Spec...

05-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #89
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
My wife also hit our garage a while back.
True story, from a few years ago, when my wife was driving a Caddy CTS.

Me on the telephone to the insurance company: "Hi. I need to report some damage."

Insurance company: "Sorry to hear that. What happened?"

Me: "My wife drove into the garage."

Insurance company: [Long pause] "I don't understand. People drive into their garages every night."

Me: "No, I mean my wife drove INTO the garage."

Insurance company: "Oh."
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 4
Neptune71416.00
RJC-11281.00
msm2000uk175.50
      05-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #90
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
My wife also hit our garage a while back.
True story, from a few years ago, when my wife was driving a Caddy CTS.

Me on the telephone to the insurance company: "Hi. I need to report some damage."

Insurance company: "Sorry to hear that. What happened?"

Me: "My wife drove into the garage."

Insurance company: [Long pause] "I don't understand. People drive into their garages every night."

Me: "No, I mean my wife drove INTO the garage."

Insurance company: "Oh."
Hahahaaaa
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #91
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Nice to see some of the boys from MBworld here (Vic and Wolf)...
Any others?
Not a boy but MY96 R129, MY99 R129, MY01 R129, MY06 R230, MY14 R231. Now looking forward to a G29 with great memories of my MY89 E30 325is.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #92
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Not a boy but MY96 R129, MY99 R129, MY01 R129, MY06 R230, MY14 R231. Now looking forward to a G29 with great memories of my MY89 E30 325is.
With your user name I sure hope you're not a boy lol. What's your user name on MBworld? Nice avatar btw.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #93
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Question

I recently saw a nicely equipped new non-comp M8 coupe (with the no extra cost Comp wheels I like so much) was about $137k. I've seen many well equipped M850's at that price and am now thinking the non comp M8 might be a better value overall? Thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #94
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
With your user name I sure hope you're not a boy lol. What's your user name on MBworld? Nice avatar btw.
Never really managed to connect there but have found this site to be a tremendous resource & fun. LOL & TY.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #95
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I recently saw a nicely equipped new non-comp M8 coupe (with the no extra cost Comp wheels I like so much) was about $137k. I've seen many well equipped M850's at that price and am now thinking the non comp M8 might be a better value overall? Thoughts?
I don't like it. but it depends on your use and preferences. For me, go for the m850i fo luxury and cheaper price. Go m8 competition for the track attack.

Honestly, in my opinion, the standard (non-comp) m8 seems very dumb. it's too stiff for a road car or daily driver, and not stiff or small enough for a proper sports car. it's stuck in no man's land. UNLESS you plan to mod the hell out of it and put downpipes, custom exhaust, etc.

that's the only reason I'd sacrifice the m850i for a m8 with OUT m8 competition.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      05-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #96
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't like it. but it depends on your use and preferences. For me, go for the m850i fo luxury and cheaper price. Go m8 competition for the track attack.

Honestly, in my opinion, the standard (non-comp) m8 seems very dumb. it's too stiff for a road car or daily driver, and not stiff or small enough for a proper sports car. it's stuck in no man's land. UNLESS you plan to mod the hell out of it and put downpipes, custom exhaust, etc.

that's the only reason I'd sacrifice the m850i for a m8 with OUT m8 competition.
No interest in tracking, but I didn't realize the non-comp M8 rode so stiffly, good to know. As far as lux, I think the M8's have nicer (quilted) leather, no?

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #97
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No interest in tracking, but I didn't realize the non-comp M8 rode so stiffly, good to know. As far as lux, I think the M8's have nicer (quilted) leather, no?
No, the M850i is same premium leather. You have the options of extended or full leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #98
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Merino Leather

If you want your BMW leather to really impress your passengers, you'll need Merino. While Nappa leather is standard on most luxury BMWs, it's the Merino leather that's optional on them. Even the 7 Series makes you pay more for Merino leather because it's the best that BMW offers. Some higher-end M models come with it and most Individual leather options are made from the stuff as well. It's the finest quality cowhide BMW offers and it's not dyed with any artificial colors or coatings. So it's the richest and most premium leather among the bunch. But it's also the most expensive and will require care and maintenance to keep its quality and look.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/12/23/k...ather-options/
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #99
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Merino Leather

If you want your BMW leather to really impress your passengers, you'll need Merino. While Nappa leather is standard on most luxury BMWs, it's the Merino leather that's optional on them. Even the 7 Series makes you pay more for Merino leather because it's the best that BMW offers. Some higher-end M models come with it and most Individual leather options are made from the stuff as well. It's the finest quality cowhide BMW offers and it's not dyed with any artificial colors or coatings. So it's the richest and most premium leather among the bunch. But it's also the most expensive and will require care and maintenance to keep its quality and look.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/12/23/k...ather-options/
It's standard in both M850i and m8 and m8 competition. Except I think the m8 and m8c are full leather by default. Vs the M850i extended.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 11:55 PM   #100
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, the M850i is same premium leather. You have the options of extended or full leather.
Thanks but I was referring to the extra quilting (door panels etc) of the leather in the M8's which gives them a much more luxurious look.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 11:56 PM   #101
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

What is the difference in suspension between the bae m8 vs m8 comp, and what makes the base M8's so much stiffer than the M850's?

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:00 AM   #102
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Very subjective. I had no comfort issues and think interior difference is OMG v. nice.
Name:  Clipboard.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  80.5 KB
Appreciate 2
RJC-11281.00
      05-06-2020, 12:07 AM   #103
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Very subjective. I had no comfort issues and think interior difference is OMG v. nice.
Attachment 2303398
Thanks, that's the extra quilting I was refererring to.

Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6234.00
      05-07-2020, 05:53 AM   #104
It's Good
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

To limey-I had posted previously questioning why BMW didn't offer laminated and/or acoustic glass on the 8er. In your post you say you have it on your M8.Is it windshield and/or side glass?My dealership says it is not available nor does it show up on any of the website configurators.Would you be kind enough to verify what your window stamp says?It would be marked as acoustic if indeed it is.Thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #105
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Good View Post
To limey-I had posted previously questioning why BMW didn't offer laminated and/or acoustic glass on the 8er. In your post you say you have it on your M8.Is it windshield and/or side glass?My dealership says it is not available nor does it show up on any of the website configurators.Would you be kind enough to verify what your window stamp says?It would be marked as acoustic if indeed it is.Thanks very much.
I looked up the glass spec from the part number for both the front and side and neither indicate it has any special acoustic properties. Net net: I was given incorrect information... bummer. I'm already on my way back to San Diego to return the car. Sorry, it appears I mislead you there.

That said, given this car has frameless windows in the doors, it's unbelievably quiet so something clever is going on.

I was also told it has UV filters built in that reduce radiation and, as a side effect, reduce heat transfer--I guess now, I've no idea if that's bullshit, too. Oh well, I'll live.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #106
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I looked up the glass spec from the part number for both the front and side and neither indicate it has any special acoustic properties. Net net: I was given incorrect information... bummer. I'm already on my way back to San Diego to return the car. Sorry, it appears I mislead you there.

That said, given this car has frameless windows in the doors, it's unbelievably quiet so something clever is going on.

I was also told it has UV filters built in that reduce radiation and, as a side effect, reduce heat transfer--I guess now, I've no idea if that's bullshit, too. Oh well, I'll live.
I think the glass in these cars might be a bit thicker than most single pane glass being used thus the quiet. The glass usually has a solar resistant type treatment depending upon the market.

Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      05-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #107
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
On the windows for Australia we are able to order the Sun Protection Glazing option. This option provides factory tinted windows for the rear glass sections of the car (rear window and rear sides). Its not available for front driver/passenger windows unfortunately for legal reasons so we use after market tint. The factory tinted windows are superb, flawless and look great. I know that laminated windows have better acoustic properties, but have not ready anything about this in the BMW information sheets.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:27 PM   #108
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
On the windows for Australia we are able to order the Sun Protection Glazing option. This option provides factory tinted windows for the rear glass sections of the car (rear window and rear sides). Its not available for front driver/passenger windows unfortunately for legal reasons so we use after market tint. The factory tinted windows are superb, flawless and look great. I know that laminated windows have better acoustic properties, but have not ready anything about this in the BMW information sheets.
Funny story as you posted about the Sun Protection Glazing option prior to my first build attempt last August. With the power of a simple Google search it turned out to be option code 761. My CA diligently tried to get it included in my 2020 M850i order but BMW NA kept shutting it down. He shared some of his email correspondence with BMW NA on the topic to keep me in the loop. To protect the innocent with paraphrasing involved (as I'm going by memory) it went as follows:

CA: my customer strongly desires option 761
BMWNA: that option is not available in the US
CA: why not?
BMWNA: it's only available in markets that require it
CA: here in Arizona it is a required option
BMWNA: the market is defined as the US vs Arizona
CA: that though process needs to be reconsidered

Of course ultimately I didn't get the option and just did 3rd party tinting. A conspiracy theorist would likely claim that the US tinting super PAC is barring the option her in the US. My assumption as to my experience to-date with BMW is they are just flat out clueless. The case-in-point is the marginal cost to build already exists as they do it for other markets. Thus, they can set a price for the US market that ensures a nice profit above the cost to build no differently than they do for Australia.

Options are the gravy train for any car manufacturer as those willing to buy them are also willing to pay for them. The CF package on the M850i is an example. The price went up significantly between the 2019 and 2020s yet the product did not change. So additional profit to BMW for all of those that choose the option in a 2020. If there is anything they teach you in B school is that a marginal cost add is total gravy.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 10:58 PM   #109
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Funny story as you posted about the Sun Protection Glazing option prior to my first build attempt last August. With the power of a simple Google search it turned out to be option code 761. My CA diligently tried to get it included in my 2020 M850i order but BMW NA kept shutting it down. He shared some of his email correspondence with BMW NA on the topic to keep me in the loop. To protect the innocent with paraphrasing involved (as I'm going by memory) it went as follows:

CA: my customer strongly desires option 761
BMWNA: that option is not available in the US
CA: why not?
BMWNA: it's only available in markets that require it
CA: here in Arizona it is a required option
BMWNA: the market is defined as the US vs Arizona
CA: that though process needs to be reconsidered

Of course ultimately I didn't get the option and just did 3rd party tinting. A conspiracy theorist would likely claim that the US tinting super PAC is barring the option her in the US. My assumption as to my experience to-date with BMW is they are just flat out clueless. The case-in-point is the marginal cost to build already exists as they do it for other markets. Thus, they can set a price for the US market that ensures a nice profit above the cost to build no differently than they do for Australia.

Options are the gravy train for any car manufacturer as those willing to buy them are also willing to pay for them. The CF package on the M850i is an example. The price went up significantly between the 2019 and 2020s yet the product did not change. So additional profit to BMW for all of those that choose the option in a 2020. If there is anything they teach you in B school is that a marginal cost add is total gravy.
Like I said, when dealing with BMWUSA:
Bad
Made
Worse
Usually
Something
Assinie

Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      05-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #110
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
It is unbelievable its not an option in the US! I love the look of SPG glass and it is incredibly effective - so no rear sun shade needed.
Appreciate 0