M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion If You had The Option To Re-Spec...

05-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #45
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Mine's always Comfort and it's still pretty loud on cold starts but it does settle down within 30 secs or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
maybe r33_RGSport can help answer if we can make it quieter?

I think he can code out the cold start. The reason for the cold start is to warm up the cats fast(er).
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12914.00
      05-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #46
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I think he can code out the cold start. The reason for the cold start is to warm up the cats fast(er).
Yes, just want the valves closed on the mufflers

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #47
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Having the lesser model than you with AMG (the GTS) but its tuned, I was surprised to see this. My tuned GTS carries more hp than a stock GTC by a decent number but I still dont think it would walk my stock F90. I know its not apples to apples but the comparo does hold some water.

Are you saying the 60-130 times of a GTC is better than the M8CE? I just dont know the numbers but the 60-130 speeds are usually a good idea of rolling prowess.

When I went and drove the GT63S a few months back, I also drove a stock GTC coupe (at Foothill) and it didnt feel remotely as fast as my F90. But then again my F90 is running a piggy.
Now you are making me question my butt dyno I was think 100mph and up

MN is a risky state to speed in so I have to go by external numbers.
AutoNL ran a stock GTC 0-300kmh at around 35 sec. Think the M8c clocks in at 41sec.
Looked for 60-130 or 100-200 but can't find comparable sources quickly. Will do some checking later to find some numbers.

I think the M cars push with more urgency below 100mph. Wish I could be more specific. We are scheduled for a Europe trip in August if COVID doesn't cancel this one as well. Planning to drive a GTC or M8 then.

Last edited by Wolfman64; 05-01-2020 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #48
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Now you are making me question my butt dyno I was think 100mph and up

MN is a risky state to speed in so I have to go by external numbers.
AutoNL ran a stock GTC 0-300kmh at around 35 sec. Think the M8c clocks in at 41sec.
Looked for 60-130 or 100-200 but can't find comparable sources quickly. Will do some checking later.

I think the M cars push with more urgency below 100mph.
I can see that in regards to the super high speeds- the parasitic loss (lack of it with the DCT) and lower weight should prevail. I think the COed is better with the GTC too?

That AutoNL test is crazy---- 6 seconds gap at 180 mph terminal is nuts.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #49
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good review of the GTC.

How do you find the ingress/egress comp'd to the M8? I'm guessing the M8 is easier, at least it is to me on the M850 vs the GTC.

128 traps with so-so traction is impressive and there's no doubt the real AMG's (not 43/53's) are monsters.

How do you find the fit finish between the M8 and GT? I have found my M850 to be pretty darn close to my S Coupes and other MB's I've owned, although the materials in the SC's appear to have been of a much higher quality.
Yeah, you have to be more agile to get in/out unless the top is down but I have no issues. Cabin is tight with the bucket seats. Nothing like the S-Coupe with their very super comfy seats (closest thing to our home theater), super airy greenhouse.

The S-Coupe is no sports car no matter how quick the AMG is but the cabin is a lovely. The MB can't be compared to the M8 though, the Bentley C would be the competitor. Magic Sky, no B-pillar. The M8 is a bit claustrophobic compared to it

Build quality on the GTC is good but the M8 is better in the details. The AMG has a low production car feel to it. The roadster (soft top mechanism, etc.) is unchanged from the SLS.
I do appreciate that as the AMG GT models have nothing in common with any Mercedes models. Not a performance version of a production model...
Appreciate 2
RJC-11283.50
      05-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #50
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nice to see some of the boys from MBworld here (Vic and Wolf)...
Any others?

Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 10:27 PM   #51
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Any others?
I'm a fan of Mercedes and my MBworld forum name is the same as mine on here.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11283.50
      05-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #52
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I'm a fan of Mercedes and my MBworld forum name is the same as mine on here.
Cool, me too, sans the -1

Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 10:41 PM   #53
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, you have to be more agile to get in/out unless the top is down but I have no issues. Cabin is tight with the bucket seats. Nothing like the S-Coupe with their very super comfy seats (closest thing to our home theater), super airy greenhouse.

The S-Coupe is no sports car no matter how quick the AMG is but the cabin is a lovely. The MB can't be compared to the M8 though, the Bentley C would be the competitor. Magic Sky, no B-pillar. The M8 is a bit claustrophobic compared to it

Build quality on the GTC is good but the M8 is better in the details. The AMG has a low production car feel to it. The roadster (soft top mechanism, etc.) is unchanged from the SLS.
I do appreciate that as the AMG GT models have nothing in common with any Mercedes models. Not a performance version of a production model...
Funny you mention the S-coupe AMG as today I had a bit of fun with one (granted I could not discern whatsoever if current gen or a prior year model but definitely no older than a 2018). I was returning home from a grocery store trip and have two options, i.e., take the freeway or a "feeder" road that has a few stoplights but a large distance between them. I chose the "feeder" road as technically it is on the Indian reservation and lightly patrolled so with my V1 and JBV1 that is the pathway of choice to have some fun.

As I turned onto the "feeder" (choosing the close right hand lane), I could see a car barreling down at a high rate of speed in the left hand lane. At that point I did not recognize what it was but just rather put the foot on the gas and not only exceeded (coming from a near stop) but put it in the rear view mirror (at which point I realized it was a S-Coupe).

At the first stop light the driver of the S-Coupe was at the front in the left hand lane as I was still in the right. I didn't think at that point it was a comparison factor so when the light changed I just started off at a normal clip. However, the S-Coupe went balls to the wall (and hence I could see the AMG badge) so regardless of the car length deficit already ensued I too pushed the pedal to the metal. Once again no contest in the end by the time we reached the next stop light.

For that last run although I normally drive in Sport Individual (everything at Sport minus the chassis/suspension on Comfort) I switched to Sport Plus. Light goes green and the S-Coupe never stood a chance whatsoever. Granted I only have a M850i but throw in a M8 or M8C and that just adds insult to injury.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:27 PM   #54
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Mine's always Comfort and it's still pretty loud on cold starts but it does settle down within 30 secs or so.
You can't code it. Only flash tune able to do that.

My apology for being Californian where we set the rule on how car supposed to be built.
The reason Cold Start is loud, because the Turbo waste-gate is left open to dump the hot exhaust gas directly to catalytic converter to heat it up for it to properly reduce poisonous gas.
Why we need to do that? Because second hand smoke kills, but invisible smoke doesn't.

Now, if you are running stock downpipe or any downpipe, never ever due a cold start delete. It will break your catalytic converter and clogged the downpipe, then you will blow up your motor.
The same with aggressive burble tune. Pop pop pop.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
RJC-11283.50
      05-01-2020, 11:29 PM   #55
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Any others?
Oh yes thats my first forum stomping ground ever!!

But Ive been around here since 2009 or so.

Wolf and I run the show there LOL (joking sort of)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:50 PM   #56
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Any others?
Yup. Followed Vic by a few months.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 01:14 AM   #57
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
What!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 01:24 AM   #58
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
What!!!!!!!
Did I misunderstand? I thought he was talking about switching from MB. :
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:27 AM   #59
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

Funny you mention the S-coupe AMG as today I had a bit of fun with one (granted I could not discern whatsoever if current gen or a prior year model but definitely no older than a 2018). I was returning home from a grocery store trip and have two options, i.e., take the freeway or a "feeder" road that has a few stoplights but a large distance between them. I chose the "feeder" road as technically it is on the Indian reservation and lightly patrolled so with my V1 and JBV1 that is the pathway of choice to have some fun.

As I turned onto the "feeder" (choosing the close right hand lane), I could see a car barreling down at a high rate of speed in the left hand lane. At that point I did not recognize what it was but just rather put the foot on the gas and not only exceeded (coming from a near stop) but put it in the rear view mirror (at which point I realized it was a S-Coupe).

At the first stop light the driver of the S-Coupe was at the front in the left hand lane as I was still in the right. I didn't think at that point it was a comparison factor so when the light changed I just started off at a normal clip. However, the S-Coupe went balls to the wall (and hence I could see the AMG badge) so regardless of the car length deficit already ensued I too pushed the pedal to the metal. Once again no contest in the end by the time we reached the next stop light.

For that last run although I normally drive in Sport Individual (everything at Sport minus the chassis/suspension on Comfort) I switched to Sport Plus. Light goes green and the S-Coupe never stood a chance whatsoever. Granted I only have a M850i but throw in a M8 or M8C and that just adds insult to injury.
Any BMW can overtake an s class, but I'm surprised the AMG got blow away so quickly.
That said, I've noticed and even the MB salesman told me once: Mercedes are meant for status and too be looked at with comfort in mind. [i.e. not sporty race cars]

I will say their leather seats are more comfy and softer leathers. But that's about where they end.

Also MB took away all their convertibles and switched the sl from a hard top to a soft rag top. so they only have 1 combined class of convertible and it's a soft top with only 1 mid level offerings.

like everyone, MB is switched hard to SUV. Even the Porshe dealership 2 miles from my house is all SUV. They have less than 10 cars that aren't Cayenne or Macans. 6 different Panameras, 2 base 911 and 1 911 turbo. and over 200+ on the lot Cayenne and Macans on the floor.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #60
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
The latest iteration of S class AMG coupe is not a slow car though. Officially 3.4 to 60, Car and Driver ran it at 3sec to 60 and 11.2 at 126 in the quarter mile.

That car has the same engine and AWD setup of the E63s. C&D numbers typically only show the best run with roll out of course.

The older 2015-2017 model looks the same but has the older engine/drivetrain setup which is quite a bit slower.

That said, speed and acceleration is not the primary objective with these cars...
Appreciate 2
RJC-11283.50
      05-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #61
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Did I misunderstand? I thought he was talking about switching from MB. :
No its all good I see that you were referring to when we dumped our beloved W213's --- Ive actually been at Bimmerpost since around 2009 when I got my E46 M3. And to be honest even when I didnt have a BMW this place was my "go to" for forum dialogue and discussion of even other cars. The section I was most active in is the F10 section where I had 2 of them along with an F13. To this day the M5 (F10) Versus section is where Ive posted more of my car ownership reviews than any other place:

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=505
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      05-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #62
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The latest iteration of S class AMG coupe is not a slow car though. Officially 3.4 to 60, Car and Driver ran it at 3sec to 60 and 11.2 at 126 in the quarter mile.

That car has the same engine and AWD setup of the E63s. C&D numbers typically only show the best run with roll out of course.

The older 2015-2017 model looks the same but has the older engine/drivetrain setup which is quite a bit slower.

That said, speed and acceleration is not the primary objective with these cars...
100% the car is Lux first with a performance as an ad!

And the pure mopar sound out of the M157/177/178 still has one of the best OEM exhaust notes.
Appreciate 2
Punitive147.00
      05-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #63
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

+1 and that's the one to get before they all go away

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #64
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh yes thats my first forum stomping ground ever!!

But Ive been around here since 2009 or so.

Wolf and I run the show there LOL (joking sort of)
I joined in 2/2002
I see WM is now a mod, good choice.
What ever happened to Mr Vanos, is he still around?

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #65
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
You can't code it. Only flash tune able to do that.

My apology for being Californian where we set the rule on how car supposed to be built.
The reason Cold Start is loud, because the Turbo waste-gate is left open to dump the hot exhaust gas directly to catalytic converter to heat it up for it to properly reduce poisonous gas.
Why we need to do that? Because second hand smoke kills, but invisible smoke doesn't.

Now, if you are running stock downpipe or any downpipe, never ever due a cold start delete. It will break your catalytic converter and clogged the downpipe, then you will blow up your motor.
The same with aggressive burble tune. Pop pop pop.
Makes sense, thanks for the explanation. My XKR which was supercharged was also loud as hell on cold start and would startle people walking buy lol so i guess it's the same concept due to the WG's, my 911 turbos were kinda loud too on CS but not as much (flat 6 vs v8 thing?).

Here in FL you can run a Harley with straight pipes in most places, kind of annoying and sometimes a bit deafening when you have the windows down and they blast by your car at WOT, but I guess it's all karma as I used to run a Cigarette with twin NASCAR engines and cause our beach place and all the neighbors places to literally vibrate when we went flying by close to shore

Last edited by RJC-1; 05-02-2020 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #66
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I joined in 2/2002
I see WM is now a mod, good choice.
What ever happened to Mr Vanos, is he still around?
Yeah I was one of the first members there (I think member 26 back in 2001) and now am an Admin (not deserving). Yeah good ole Wolf is a Mod and doing a great job at it. Wolfman64

Simon (aka Vanos) has been long gone since he and Brad sold the domain to Internet Brands. I think he is in the mortgage business now but I dont hear or talk to him.
Appreciate 1
Wolfman64811.50