M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion If You had The Option To Re-Spec...

04-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #23
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
RJC-1 thanks for initiating this post. Good one.

The early 850 coupe orders here (pre-GC/M8) were limited to six external colours and four internal colours. The base car was fully optioned with only a few additional options. B+W sound system and factory tinted glass were both options that I added. The only option I did not get was the TV tuner for the main screen.

That said the options I would like:

1. More front seat adjustments - specifically I would like the main back rest to have mid and upper section adjustments. It's already a great drivers seat but could be even better.

2. Sun roof - within the carbon fibre roof (which I have).

3. Apple iOS digital key - it's 2020 ladies and gentlemen, I don't carry cash or credit cards anymore, car keys will go the same way.

4. Individual colours - not an option for the 8 series here. Go figure.

5. Night Vision integration - would like this integrated into the main drivers display with alerts for objects (people/animals) appearing in the HUD.
Well, on the topic of what we'd like BMW to offer as standard or as an option, here's my list:

• Auto-dim psngr side mirror not even an option here ).
  • Massaging seats, at least for driver
  • D-shaped steering wheel
  • Glass roof and one that tilts like in the previous 6
  • Rear window shade
  • Acoustic glass
  • Quiet mode button for exhaust

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      04-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #24
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Well, on the topic of what we'd like BMW to offer as standard or as an option, here's my list:

• Auto-dim psngr side mirror not even an option here ).
  • Massaging seats, at least for driver
  • D-shaped steering wheel
  • Glass roof and one that tilts like in the previous 6
Agreed. Staggering really that they couldn't figure these things out.

Quote:
  • Rear window shade
  • Acoustic glass
  • Quiet mode button for exhaust
Those are all on my M8--I assume you're saying your particular car doesn't have them but they're options, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:53 PM   #25
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Agreed. Staggering really that they couldn't figure these things out.

Those are all on my M8--I assume you're saying your particular car doesn't have them but they're options, right?
NA on the coupes, i think the rear glass may be too sloped for the rw shade.

No option for acoustic glass or quiet mode...did not know, and am glad they are avail on the GC.
BMW WTF, why not an option on coupes/cabs?

Last edited by RJC-1; 04-30-2020 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #26
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
NA on the coupes, i think the rear glass may be too sloped for the rw shade. No option for acoustic glass or quiet mode...did not know, and am glad they are avail on the GC.

BMW WTF, why NA on coupes/cabs?
Ah, got it. I understand the rear power shade but not the acoustic glass.

Perhaps we're talking past one another on quiet mode: do you mean the button to close the butterfly valves in the exhaust? If so, yeah--that makes no freakin' sense since it's software only and a very logical function for such a great GT car.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:06 PM   #27
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, got it. I understand the rear power shade but not the acoustic glass.

Perhaps we're talking past one another on quiet mode: do you mean the button to close the butterfly valves in the exhaust? If so, yeah--that makes no freakin' sense since it's software only and a very logical function for such a great GT car.
Yes, a button for the valves would be great, sometimes my wife and I like to go for late night cruises during the week when most are sleeping (pretty much have the roads to ourselves), but the cold start on the M850 is pretty loud for the first 30 secs or so and the sound travels all the way down the street. I think the new Mustangs even have a QM for this reason.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:08 PM   #28
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, a button for the valves would be great, sometimes my wife and I like to go for late night cruises during the week when most are sleeping (pretty much have the roads to ourselves), but the cold start on the M850 is pretty loud for the first 30 secs or so and the sound travels all the way down the street. I think the new Mustangs even have a QM for this reason.
Then, yeah--agreed. Asinine omission. What buttons do you have at the bottom left of the piano-black bank of buttons--AutoH?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:16 PM   #29
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Then, yeah--agreed. Asinine omission. What buttons do you have at the bottom left of the piano-black bank of buttons--AutoH?
If you mean below the start/stop button: sport, comfort eco/pro, adaptive, auto h

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #30
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you mean below the start/stop button: sport, comfort eco/pro, adaptive, auto h
Yup. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:32 PM   #31
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Thanks boys = agree to all.

Love the idea of the quiet button.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #32
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
I may be the absolute red herring in the thread but I wouldn't change a damn thing as I built my 2020 M850i to my specs. Loving it at every moment including the Tanzanite Blue exterior, Fiona Red/Black full leather, carbon fiber roof, B&W audio and all the bells and whistles outside of "night vision" which is useless for me here in the Metropolitan Phoenix area.

The only change from my original order was after toiling over Chromeline (my original choice) in the build vs Shadowline given BMW's F'up with Cerium I now have Shadowline (plus carbon fiber mirrors) thanks to the customer obsession of my CA and dealer (all on their dime). Bottom lime I'm loving Shadowline and questioning just what the F I was thinking in the first place?

CCBs make sense from the asinine brake dust perspective but not an option on the M850i. Plus, my weekly mobile detailing at the house takes care of that at $70 all in for the service so not a factor whatsoever. My only bitch is which what should have been standard in the first place, i.e., an Auto-dimming passenger side mirror as per RC-1's call out.

In regards to a quiet start for the M850i not on my requirements list as frankly I put it into Sport Individual before hitting the "start" button just to relish in the sound. For those that need a quieter setting I suspect the default "Comfort" mode is the best option at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:28 PM   #33
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I may be the absolute red herring in the thread but I wouldn't change a damn thing as I built my 2020 M850i to my specs. Loving it at every moment including the Tanzanite Blue exterior, Fiona Red/Black full leather, carbon fiber roof, B&W audio and all the bells and whistles outside of "night vision" which is useless for me here in the Metropolitan Phoenix area.

The only change from my original order was after toiling over Chromeline (my original choice) in the build vs Shadowline given BMW's F'up with Cerium I now have Shadowline (plus carbon fiber mirrors) thanks to the customer obsession of my CA and dealer (all on their dime). Bottom lime I'm loving Shadowline and questioning just what the F I was thinking in the first place?

CCBs make sense from the asinine brake dust perspective but not an option on the M850i. Plus, my weekly mobile detailing at the house takes care of that at $70 all in for the service so not a factor whatsoever. My only bitch is which what should have been standard in the first place, i.e., an Auto-dimming passenger side mirror as per RC-1's call out.

In regards to a quiet start for the M850i not on my requirements list as frankly I put it into Sport Individual before hitting the "start" button just to relish in the sound. For those that need a quieter setting I suspect the default "Comfort" mode is the best option at this point.
Mine's always in comfort but the cold start is quite loud, no as bad as some of the others, but enough to where i feel a bit concerned for the neighbors, at least when it's at our home in Naples (most here are in bed by 10 lol).

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 12:21 AM   #34
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post

Mine's always in comfort but the cold start is quite loud, no as bad as some of the others, but enough to where i feel a bit concerned for the neighbors, at least when it's at our home in Naples (most here are in bed by 10 lol).
In order to protect the innocent on another forum I participate in which an entire thread ensued regarding AMG cold starts and neighbors here is my favorite post in the thread.
"I have a neighbor at least half a block away with an LC500. Whenever she starts it up in her garage, I can hear it from inside my house. It’s got a stock exhaust, but its frequency is just right to penetrate my walls and vibrate my eardrums.

I can’t hear any of my other neighbors’ cars, but that one hits just right."
As shared previously, the LC500 sport seats being narrow beyond purpose, the lack of performance vs a M850i and the early 2000s Infotainment tech are why I dropped it from short list. However, I could not get enough of the glorious sound the NA V8 produced. Just like every time I fire up the M850i if I put the other issues aside I'd be firing up the LC in my garage and enjoying every moment of the experience.

The lawyers on the thread can chime in but after dealing with noise ordinance laws during my Rock and Roll band days cold starting your car is not a factor. In fact I just checked the AZ statues and given my M850i has a "muffler" I'm golden. Of course if I get into model airplanes I'll need to follow the statute.
Exhaust discharge. To discharge into the open air the exhaust of any steam engine, stationary internal combustion engine, motor vehicle or motorboat engine, except through a muffler or other device which will effectively prevent loud or explosive noises therefrom; Provided, however, that the flying of controlled model airplanes, sailing of model boats or racing of model automobiles, having internal combustion engines not to exceed thirty-five hundredths cubic inch piston displacement, when used in the pursuit of a recreation hobby and at such locations as are under the jurisdiction or control of the Parks, Playgrounds and Recreational Board of the City and only at such times as may be designated by the Parks Department shall not be deemed to be within the provisions of this Subsection.
I'm pretty sure from a noise ordinance standpoint Harley Davidson couldn't sell a single bike here in the US. Case-in-point you hear them a mile away while driving and the cold start is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 05-01-2020 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #35
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

I paid near full price for my M8 Comp and spec'd it to my exact wants - no regrets.

Driving the car for a few months, if I were to go back in time, I would have ordered an S63 from Mercedes - slower, but better suited to what I really like and more bang for my buck (in my opinion)
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #36
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I think the m8 and m8 comp, both have a quiet exhaust button. I know the m850i does not.
you can code the car to start in sport mode with bimmercode. it's easy.

At least in Virginia, each town and city can make their own noise ordnance. They are mostly set on a "reasonableness" standard. and it's usually during night hours only. For example, no loud noises over 140 decibels between 11 pm and 8 am during Mon-Fri.

it's extremely rare in any state that a stock exhaust would exceed the decibel levels during any day time hours.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11289.50
      05-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #37
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
How does your M8 compare to your GTC? Almost bought one of those when they debuted and even ordered one sight unseen, but when it arrived it was a bit too low to the ground/hard to get out of than I was comfortable with (dealing with a back injury at the time).
Not much I can say the M8 that hasn't already been stated here. Very fast, smooth delivery, comfortable, high-tech overweight rocket. Love the car.

GTC looks much better IMO but I am biased. I think it's a gorgeous classic roadster; nothing tacky from any angle.
Pros: Endless hood, wide (over 4" wider than the M8), awesome engine (bigger turbos and gear ratio shared with the GTR), transaxle with a Getrag Dual Clutch that is actually well mated to the car, rear wheel steering. 800+lbs less weight, better steering, glorious exhaust.

Cons: Low tech on the gadgets. No HUD, no surround cameras, no Apple Car Play, noisy with the top up. Very little storage, shallow trunk aka. forget about buying a case of wine
Tight cabin. Forget rear visibility, you can literally see less than half the rear window in the mirror due to the soft top hump.
But... none of it matters, the car doesn't even pretend to be practical.

It has less power than the M8, is rear wheel drive and slower to 60. That said, it is a very fast car as well.
Surprising traction for RWD and the car gets faster from there. The higher in speed, the faster this thing goes. Quarter mile at 128mph stock, 11.2-4 sec.
At speed the GTC will easily walk the M8

Fun factor goes to the GTC (in good weather)
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #38
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Not much I can say the M8 that hasn't already been stated here. Very fast, smooth delivery, comfortable, high-tech overweight rocket. Love the car.

GTC looks much better IMO but I am biased. I think it's a gorgeous classic roadster; nothing tacky from any angle.
Pros: Endless hood, wide (over 4" wider than the M8), awesome engine (bigger turbos and gear ratio shared with the GTR), transaxle with a Getrag Dual Clutch that is actually well mated to the car, rear wheel steering. 800+lbs less weight, better steering, glorious exhaust.

Cons: Low tech on the gadgets. No HUD, no surround cameras, no Apple Car Play, noisy with the top up. Very little storage, shallow trunk aka. forget about buying a case of wine
Tight cabin. Forget rear visibility, you can literally see less than half the rear window in the mirror due to the soft top hump.
But... none of it matters, the car doesn't even pretend to be practical.

It has less power than the M8, is rear wheel drive and slower to 60. That said, it is a very fast car as well.
Surprising traction for RWD and the car gets faster from there. The higher in speed, the faster this thing goes. Quarter mile at 128mph stock, 11.2-4 sec.

Fun factor goes to the GTC (in good weather)
Good review of the GTC.

How do you find the ingress/egress comp'd to the M8? I'm guessing the M8 is easier, at least it is to me on the M850 vs the GTC.

128 traps with so-so traction is impressive and there's no doubt the real AMG's (not 43/53's) are monsters.

How do you find the fit finish between the M8 and GT? I have found my M850 to be pretty darn close to my S Coupes and other MB's I've owned, although the materials in the SC's appear to have been of a much higher quality.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #39
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I think the m8 and m8 comp, both have a quiet exhaust button. I know the m850i does not.

At least in Virginia, each town and city can make their own noise ordnance. They are mostly set on a "reasonableness" standard. and it's usually during night hours only. For example, no loud noises over 140 decibels between 11 pm and 8 am during Mon-Fri.

it's extremely rare in any state that a stock exhaust would exceed the decibel levels during any day time hours.
Any way to code the M850's to keep the valves closed on cold start?

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #40
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Any way to code the M850's to keep the valves closed on cold start?
I don't think so; however you can code the car to start in "eco" or "comfort individual" modes. I don't know which is quieter.

The default I think is comfort. I think as long as you stay out of Sport or Sport+ mode, the exhaust should be quiet??

Maybe someone can test it or find the answer.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #41
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Having the lesser model than you with AMG (the GTS) but its tuned, I was surprised to see this. My tuned GTS carries more hp than a stock GTC by a decent number but I still dont think it would walk my stock F90. I know its not apples to apples but the comparo does hold some water.

Are you saying the 60-130 times of a GTC is better than the M8CE? I just dont know the numbers but the 60-130 speeds are usually a good idea of rolling prowess.

When I went and drove the GT63S a few months back, I also drove a stock GTC coupe (at Foothill) and it didnt feel remotely as fast as my F90. But then again my F90 is running a piggy.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #42
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
I paid near full price for my M8 Comp and spec'd it to my exact wants - no regrets.

Driving the car for a few months, if I were to go back in time, I would have ordered an S63 from Mercedes - slower, but better suited to what I really like and more bang for my buck (in my opinion)
Do you mean the S63 Coupe? If so get em while you can as they're going away soon. Luved my S Coupes had two 550's with AMG pkgs. but was looking for something different and got the M850. I wish Porsche would bring back the 928's, had a few S4's back in the day and they were awesome in every respect.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #43
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think so; however you can code the car to start in "eco" or "comfort individual" modes. I don't know which is quieter.

The default I think is comfort. I think as long as you stay out of Sport or Sport+ mode, the exhaust should be quiet??

Mine's always Comfort and it's still pretty loud on cold starts but it does settle down within 30 secs or so.

Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #44
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Mine's always Comfort and it's still pretty loud on cold starts but it does settle down within 30 secs or so.
maybe r33_RGSport can help answer if we can make it quieter?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50