M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix Software Update - A Tragedy in Multiple Acts

05-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #67
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Took my car in for 1 year service. They said because it's been a year but not enough miles, they won't do an oil change. Keep in mind they made this appointment for me a year ago when I bought the car at their center.

More stuff with BMW. I hate their service centers.
That's ridiculous, it's supposed to be whatever comes first!

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #68
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Yeah I hate BMW Fairfax so much. Service is horrible.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:11 PM   #69
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Took my car in for 1 year service. They said because it's been a year but not enough miles, they won't do an oil change. Keep in mind they made this appointment for me a year ago when I bought the car at their center.

More stuff with BMW. I hate their service centers.
Well, that makes even less sense than usual. My low-mileage 850 calls for service - and the dealer spams me with email - around the 10-month mark. Nothing really makes sense anymore.
Yep it's nuts. I got that spam too.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #70
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, that makes even less sense than usual. My low-mileage 850 calls for service - and the dealer spams me with email - around the 10-month mark. Nothing really makes sense anymore.
and in today's state of affairs, in more ways than one...

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #71
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Why wouldn't they change the oil?

BMW Bellevue said I was ~1,500 miles away from the next oil change but volunteered to do it there and then.

Were you due for an oil change? Do they just normally follow the letter of the law--perhaps time for another dealer.
Absolutely agree that this comes down to the dealer. In my case my wife had a slow leak in one of her tires on the X5 and after refilling it several times I ended up taking it to my dealer. Turns out there was a small nail she had picked up somewhere causing the problem. Given a run flat there was no option to repair so I had them put on a new tire considering the X5 had less than 10K on it at the time. In fact it was roughly 8K and since they were doing the work they too voluntarily changed the oil and did the other 10K service at the time.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 05-10-2020 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #72
GKW
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i, 22 Alpina B8

Is this problem fixed???

This thread seems to have died.

Is there an update that fixed this problem?

I haven't driven my car in a few weeks, but last I looked, there were still no extra apps and I have heard nothing back.

Thanks.

GW
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #73
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
This thread seems to have died.

Is there an update that fixed this problem?

I haven't driven my car in a few weeks, but last I looked, there were still no extra apps and I have heard nothing back.

Thanks.

GW
I doubt anything has changed.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #74
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

No joy here, either. And no hope.

I was promised that my (second) appeal for BMW assistance would be "escalated." That was two months ago. Since then...nada.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #75
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No joy here, either. And no hope.

I was promised that my (second) appeal for BMW assistance would be "escalated." That was two months ago. Since then...nada.
BMW assistance just like the Geniuses are script (aka FAQs) driven support services. They can't fix a damn thing but rather just run you through the FAQs in regards to resetting iDrive, etc. However, when it is already broken from an iDrive software release none of that will matter. Love the car but at times despise the tech given BMW's absolutely incompetence in the software realm.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #76
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
BMW assistance just like the Geniuses are script (aka FAQs) driven support services. They can't fix a damn thing but rather just run you through the FAQs in regards to resetting iDrive, etc. However, when it is already broken from an iDrive software release none of that will matter. Love the car but at times despise the tech given BMW's absolutely incompetence in the software realm.
Ack ack ack--man, BMW--you guys FUCKING suck when it comes to support... and don't get me started on software inconsistencies. Honestly, it's shameful in today's tech-focused world. I don't even waste my time talking to them any more.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #77
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I keep telling you guys!
Bad
Made
Worse
Usually
Something
Assinie

Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 10:48 PM   #78
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Luv that...go et em Bloozeman!

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 05:57 AM   #79
delcara
Rep
Drives: 535d>M3>640i>M5>M4 > m850i

I can add to this horror.

- Bought a 2019 (so they say) M850i two weeks ago
- Software is the November 2018 version so missing quite a bit of the new features
- Tried to pair it with Connected App on my iPhone, the car will NOT receive the confirmation code
- 5 calls to BMW Assist to explain the situation over and over and over, kept telling me to reset iDrive etc. and wait 24 hours. Always wait 24 hours.
- Eventually lost my rag, told them to escalate it. 5 to 7 WEEKS for a reply. Yes, that's right, WEEKS.
- Told the guy I just want it putting in my Connected Drive account, asking why it was so hard - can't they add it manually. He's like "yes we can do that" I'm like "THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST DO THAT TO BEGIN WITH?". Utter morons, they can't think for themselves, it's astonishing.
- Send through my V5, birth certificate, mortgage statement, photo ID, first born child etc. and the car appears on my phone properly, all working perfectly.
- ConnectedMusic only has Deezer and Napster, not Spotify which I use all the time. Call my dealer to try to get them to update, no answer, no call back. No answer to emails.
- Call my local BMW garage, they say no software update is needed. I argue. They eventually come back and say it can be done but as it'll need my car, me and my phone (!?) they refuse to do it due to Covid. I'm like "no, I just want the software update, you don't need me or my phone for that". They refuse. They'll "call me back in the future"

The BMW people don't understand the technology. The sales people don't understand the cars. The level of care is so very low.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #80
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcara View Post
I can add to this horror.

- Bought a 2019 (so they say) M850i two weeks ago
- Software is the November 2018 version so missing quite a bit of the new features
- Tried to pair it with Connected App on my iPhone, the car will NOT receive the confirmation code
- 5 calls to BMW Assist to explain the situation over and over and over, kept telling me to reset iDrive etc. and wait 24 hours. Always wait 24 hours.
- Eventually lost my rag, told them to escalate it. 5 to 7 WEEKS for a reply. Yes, that's right, WEEKS.
- Told the guy I just want it putting in my Connected Drive account, asking why it was so hard - can't they add it manually. He's like "yes we can do that" I'm like "THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST DO THAT TO BEGIN WITH?". Utter morons, they can't think for themselves, it's astonishing.
- Send through my V5, birth certificate, mortgage statement, photo ID, first born child etc. and the car appears on my phone properly, all working perfectly.
- ConnectedMusic only has Deezer and Napster, not Spotify which I use all the time. Call my dealer to try to get them to update, no answer, no call back. No answer to emails.
- Call my local BMW garage, they say no software update is needed. I argue. They eventually come back and say it can be done but as it'll need my car, me and my phone (!?) they refuse to do it due to Covid. I'm like "no, I just want the software update, you don't need me or my phone for that". They refuse. They'll "call me back in the future"

The BMW people don't understand the technology. The sales people don't understand the cars. The level of care is so very low.
So I came onto this thread to ask whether the problems were just with USA cars, since my UK car is going in for a Software Update in 2 weeks time...hmmm!

My car is running November 2018 I believe, and while I have a friend who can update the software for me, I'd rather get my local BMW dealership to do it for free.

It'll be interesting to see what they say, although I have identified a clear fault which they cannot argue - and this might help you.

Try the Remote Update service on your car.

If they comes back with no update available, then that is your fault for the dealership to rectify - because we can see there is a new update available.

Speaking of which, could someone in this thread please post the relevant Update code, or whatever it's called, in case the dealership argue when I'm there?

Thanks all!

M
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #81
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yep, I've had the same problems with services. It's definitely a BMW problem.

I don't know the latest version, but I think in July there is a big software update.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #82
GKW
Private
Rep

I called the SVC manager at my dealer and have made an appt for them to look at it this week. He says the only way he can find out if there is a fix is to "hook it up" to the BMW service center and if there is an update they can send it down. I also asked him to see if they could reverse the update from March.

I'm not really hopeful for either solution, but it is an easy drop off and I don't need it for a few days.

More later next week..

GW
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #83
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I called the SVC manager at my dealer and have made an appt for them to look at it this week. He says the only way he can find out if there is a fix is to "hook it up" to the BMW service center and if there is an update they can send it down. I also asked him to see if they could reverse the update from March.

I'm not really hopeful for either solution, but it is an easy drop off and I don't need it for a few days.

More later next week..

GW
Not sure where I saw it posted but if memory serves one of 8-series owners reported an 05/2020 iDrive release installed. With luck they at least apply that for you and it erases the 03/2020 shit show.
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2020, 01:54 AM   #84
delcara
Rep

I'm really interested in the result of this. BimmerCode can update this for me remotely but it's $250 and I have to hook up the car to a charger and I really feel that BMW should do this, especially when they sell the car.

Please keep us updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
So I came onto this thread to ask whether the problems were just with USA cars, since my UK car is going in for a Software Update in 2 weeks time...hmmm!

My car is running November 2018 I believe, and while I have a friend who can update the software for me, I'd rather get my local BMW dealership to do it for free.

It'll be interesting to see what they say, although I have identified a clear fault which they cannot argue - and this might help you.

Try the Remote Update service on your car.

If they comes back with no update available, then that is your fault for the dealership to rectify - because we can see there is a new update available.

Speaking of which, could someone in this thread please post the relevant Update code, or whatever it's called, in case the dealership argue when I'm there?

Thanks all!

M
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 02:42 PM   #85
GKW
Private
Rep

Fixed!!??

Dropped my 19 850 off at 7:30 this AM and just got the call that it is all set. All Apps are back! I will need to re-configure the custom home page, but this is good news.

A "Total Factory Reset" was done to fix this. Some much for OTA updates...

I will pick it up tomorrow and report if this is not the case (or if something else is messed up!).

Fingers crossed...

GW
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 04:21 PM   #86
andics
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Dropped my 19 850 off at 7:30 this AM and just got the call that it is all set. All Apps are back! I will need to re-configure the custom home page, but this is good news.

I will pick it up tomorrow and report if this is not the case (or if something else is messed up!).

Fingers crossed...

GW
Please let us know what software version they have installed.

I do also have the November 2018 version as per some other posts and I am going for a software update in 2 weeks. In my old z4 m40i I had July 2019 which included Spotify and other apps / nav options..

I do also hope that after the force upgrade in the dealership we will get the OTA...especially the one with Android Auto support
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:21 PM   #87
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Fingers crossed...

GW
awesome! congratulations!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 01:45 AM   #88
delcara
Rep

So my local dealer refused to do the work because it would require 'me and the phone' in the dealership which I argued with, and they wouldn't do it. I've had 11 emails to and from BMW Assist talking to a 'genius', explained patiently what I wanted doing. Finally got this reply:

"I can’t see any updates being available for your model Dave. The only way to download a update would be the update software portal.
The procedure will be exactly the same at the BMW centre. At the moment the portal emphasizes your model will be updated automatically when a update is available."

Me:
"The update that’s required needs over an hour to download and the process has to be done with the car connected to an external battery. So not possible with a USB stick by a standard home user. It needs doing through the Ethernet port too.
Please correct me if I’m wrong!"

Them:
"Good afternoon Dave,
Thanks for getting in touch, I trust your doing well.
The file can be quite large to download onto a USB and the USB will require a minimum space of 4GB. It will also need to be formatted to a FAT 32 format.
I can’t see why you would need to download the file through a Ethernet cable.
We normally advise customers to perform the software update themselves to avoid being charged by a BMW centre to perform the update. You simply download it onto a USB and upload it in the car using the USB in your arm rest or centre console.
Once a update is available it will be the same process with your model Dave.
If there is anything else I can look into for you please get in touch. "

Me:
"Good afternoon,

Is there someone that knows what I’m talking about that you can escalate this to?

I appreciate that you don’t understand, so it needs to be passed along to someone that does.

Best regards,"

Them (new person):
"
Thanks for your query. You’re referring to the iDrive version of your vehicle, you have the 2018 version and you want the 2020 version.

This can only be done at a BMW Centre, although the vast majority are currently closed but will be in the process of re-opening.

I know you’ve been in contact with two so far, but do you have a preference for any others. I can arrange contact for yourself through online communications."

I sent a number of options but no reply. Called the dealership where I bought the car and told them I wasn't happy and would be looking to return the car as it's missing key features. They've booked it in on Tuesday. To their credit, once I spoke to my sales guy (despite him ignoring emails) it happened really quickly.

What makes me mad is that the guys via email refer to themselves as a "Genius". They're so completely useless.
Appreciate 0