M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Exterior Maintenance (aka washing)

01-27-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Exterior Maintenance (aka washing)

So now that I have the PPF and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating on the M850i I've now become obsessed with how best to maintain it. The detailer threw in the first maintenance wash for free but now I'm facing gearing up to do it myself (RODI or at least DI water solution, pressure washer, air blaster, etc.) or just suck it up and consider it an ongoing cost to get it professionally done at least 2 to 3 times a month.

I've also been researching rinseless wash options as a strategy for me to do "touch ups" as needed between the professional washes. No way will I do anything over the core summer months here in AZ (although research on the rinseless washes state they work well here). Full disclosure is I'm lazy and haven't hand washed a car in decades but obviously want to maintain the M850i and the drive-thru car washes are absolutely out of the picture.

Looking for advice on how others are handling the exterior maintenance aspect. Anyone going down the do it yourself road and if so what equipment do you recommend? Or is the consensus to just have it professionally done and suck it up as part of the long term ownership cost of the car?

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 01-27-2020 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

I would think any car shampoo that's ceramic in nature/compatible would be fine. I'd bet even this would be just fine
https://www.turtlewax.com/en-us/our-...amic-wash-wax/

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I would think any car shampoo that's ceramic in nature/compatible would be fine. I'd bet even this would be just fine
https://www.turtlewax.com/en-us/our-...amic-wash-wax/
Thanks and yes that hits the mark from what my detailer told me, i.e., the soap utilized needs to be PH Balanced.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:47 PM   #4
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

If you spent a great deal of cash on the ppf and ceramic you should prob look at better wash products. Adams, chemical guys and Jay Leno just name a few. Many more out there

I wash my cars myself. Find it therapeutic. I usually do a much better job unless I paying an arm and leg for a full detail. But there is a art to ensure your not actually damaging your car when you wash. Multiple wash buckets, foam cannons, pressure washer etc.

I just completed a full paint correction and used Chemical Guys Hydro Slick Wax. Use pretty much all Chemical guy products. Can’t say it’s the best but it’s pretty damn good.

The hydro wax is a ceramic wax which is the new trend. I can say my results are amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Thanks and yes that hits the mark from what my detailer told me, i.e., the soap utilized needs to be PH Balanced.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I also have all the high-end detail stuff and TW's latest Ceramic based products and they are quite good these days. This kind of reminds me of my wife's $500 per jar of La-Mer moisturizing creme, vs some of her friends who swear by oil of olay saying in their experience it's just as good.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
If you spent a great deal of cash on the ppf and ceramic you should prob look at better wash products. Adams, chemical guys and Jay Leno just name a few. Many more out there

I wash my cars myself. Find it therapeutic. I usually do a much better job unless I paying an arm and leg for a full detail. But there is a art to ensure your not actually damaging your car when you wash. Multiple wash buckets, foam cannons, pressure washer etc.

I just completed a full paint correction and used Chemical Guys Hydro Slick Wax. Use pretty much all Chemical guy products. Can’t say it’s the best but it’s pretty damn good.

The hydro wax is a ceramic wax which is the new trend. I can say my results are amazing

Thanks for the input. Have of course in all the obsessive research come across Chemical Guys, Adams a few others. Ironically the first purchase towards gearing up was a set of Adam's Single Soft Microfiber towels. Planning on placing an order for Gtechniq's GWash (for regular cycles) and ONR (without wax) for the theoretical rinseless touchup washes.

Have read up and watched videos on the 2 bucket system, pressure washer, foam cannons, etc. Trying to figure out the best pressure washer to order but what I'm stuck on is my detailer recommends RODI water give our harsh water here in the AZ and the fast drying aspect even during the winter but totally out of hand in the summer time. Have looked at CR Spotless solutions which will create the all important DI water source.

Catch-22 is pressure washer, DI solution and air blaster to dry in order to make it as easy as possible for me not to F'up and swirl mark during drying. Are just more crap to store in my already over run garage. Oh and there is the previously lazy factor but I actually mentioned to my wife the do it myself route would likely be good for me (aka your therapeutic reference).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This kind of reminds me of my wife's $500 per jar of La-Mer moisturizing creme, vs some of her friends who swear by oil of olay saying in their experience it's just as good.
Great analogy as I know the wife has some basic makeup stuff and then stuff she won't even disclose the price on to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #8
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great analogy as I know the wife has some basic makeup stuff and then stuff she won't even disclose the price on to me.
LOL, mine sheepishly told me the cost of hers, but to her credit she buys it annually with a special coupon that saves $100 or so. She aso luvs the 850 so I guess I'll keep her

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL, mine sheepishly told me the cost of hers, but to her credit she buys it annually with a special coupon that saves $100 or so. She aso luvs the 850 so I guess I'll keep her
She definitely sounds like a keeper! To my wife's credit she does use coupons, etc. to apply on top of when some clothing item she is looking at goes on sale. All of that generally goes on our household credit card that is on autopay so really never even look at the bills. The make up and purses go on her personal credit card so hence the lack of transparency. She too loves the M850i and honestly I owe it to her for supporting me in getting it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
She definitely sounds like a keeper! To my wife's credit she does use coupons, etc. to apply on top of when some clothing item she is looking at goes on sale. All of that generally goes on our household credit card that is on autopay so really never even look at the bills. The make up and purses go on her personal credit card so hence the lack of transparency. She too loves the M850i and honestly I owe it to her for supporting me in getting it.
Sounds like they're cut from the same cloth

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #11
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

I was told ph balanced is what you need. My dealer washes it special for me.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:39 PM   #12
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

You car should be beading water and shed most off before even having to dry. Using a blower should get all the water off and eliminate must drying with a cloth. The less you touch your paint surface the less chances of scratching the paint.

Not sure if this is everyone but my paint is extremely soft and scratched very easy. Was a common complaint for the f90 guys
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Have of course in all the obsessive research come across Chemical Guys, Adams a few others. Ironically the first purchase towards gearing up was a set of Adam's Single Soft Microfiber towels. Planning on placing an order for Gtechniq's GWash (for regular cycles) and ONR (without wax) for the theoretical rinseless touchup washes.

Have read up and watched videos on the 2 bucket system, pressure washer, foam cannons, etc. Trying to figure out the best pressure washer to order but what I'm stuck on is my detailer recommends RODI water give our harsh water here in the AZ and the fast drying aspect even during the winter but totally out of hand in the summer time. Have looked at CR Spotless solutions which will create the all important DI water source.

Catch-22 is pressure washer, DI solution and air blaster to dry in order to make it as easy as possible for me not to F'up and swirl mark during drying. Are just more crap to store in my already over run garage. Oh and there is the previously lazy factor but I actually mentioned to my wife the do it myself route would likely be good for me (aka your therapeutic reference).
Appreciate 0