M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 8 Series Gran Coupe vs 6 Series Gran Coupe Side by Side

10-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #67
DVR
Rep
Drives: BMW 840i , Porsche 911 turbo

Please read all the previous posts responding to my comments early on.
I am just replying in the exact same fashion.

Just a fyi. I am in a position to buy any car I like. Aston, Bentley, whatever. One of my previous cars was in fact a Bentley.
The previous 6 never crossed my mind.

When BMW launched the 8 I was not convinced, saw it live and it was 'game over'. As I said and will keep saying, the design is Aston and Bentley worthy. It is in an other league all together. And, again, if some 6 owners can't handle that it's just fine. But still makes me laugh, sorry about that. 6 is no 8 . Fact.

If you think I am insecure, fine, have no problem with that.

But telling here the 6 is a better design is
Appreciate 4
      10-15-2019, 01:42 AM   #68
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
Please read all the previous posts responding to my comments early on.
I am just replying in the exact same fashion.

Just a fyi. I am in a position to buy any car I like. Aston, Bentley, whatever. One of my previous cars was in fact a Bentley.
The previous 6 never crossed my mind.

When BMW launched the 8 I was not convinced, saw it live and it was 'game over'. As I said and will keep saying, the design is Aston and Bentley worthy. It is in an other league all together. And, again, if some 6 owners can't handle that it's just fine. But still makes me laugh, sorry about that. 6 is no 8 . Fact.

If you think I am insecure, fine, have no problem with that.

But telling here the 6 is a better design is

Good God !!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #69
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

"The lady doth protest too much".
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 12:18 AM   #70
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

You know it's game over when you have to introduce your argument with "... I can buy whatever I want but..."
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #71
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Most of the people buying 6's and 8's can buy "whatever" they want. But we don't because we have taste and we don't want to waste our money just because we can. 6 is a timeless design. 8 is trendy aimed for a young generation that doesn't understand design. Fake airvents, lack of body lines, disproportionate front and rear, lack of Hofmeister kink, lack of Zicker line, and more are plaguing the 8 (and really all the new BMW launches...their new design "language"). The 8 is not a timeless design, but to each his own and if you like it, buy it.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      10-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #72
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
Just a fyi. I am in a position to buy any car I like. Aston, Bentley, whatever.
And you bought an 8? I guess they are right. Beauty really is in the eye on the beholder.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #73
Mdivisible
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M8, 993 TTS, X7, Jeep Wrangler

I had a 650 Gran Coupe for 4 years and thought it was the best looking sedan for its time. It does now look dated to me, so I got rid of it.

I also agree that the 6 was more exceptional for its time than the 8 is today, but i like the 8 better now because it does look a lot more modern and attractive to me now. The 8 gran coupe will probably not be remembered as fondly as the 6 is, but I'd still prefer an 8 to a 6 by a wide margin.

Also, I think a lot of people are wrong about the price vs the 6.my 6 was 99.5k and was more than an m5 at the time, but about the same. The m850xi gran coupe is, 7 years later, only about 15 percent more and is still about the same price as an m5. Also, the 8 has improved a lot vs the 6 in terms of luxury and performance, so having its price only rise at the inflation rate over the past 7 years vs the 6 seems like a good deal on a relative basis. Finally, I think that the performance gap between the m5 and the 850 is now smaller than it was then vs the 6, so the fact that the 6 and m5 were the same price then and the 8 is the same price as an m5 now also means that the 8 is no more expensive than the 6 was back then.

I'm probably going to buy an m8 gran coupe. It seems expensive vs an m5 or 850, but so was the m6. Back then yoy paid an easy to 20k to move from a 5 to a 6,and 20k to move to m. Now, it might be 25 instead of 20,but is still basically the same story as it always has been.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #74
Acexxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06 M6 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Most of the people buying 6's and 8's can buy "whatever" they want. But we don't because we have taste and we don't want to waste our money just because we can. 6 is a timeless design. 8 is trendy aimed for a young generation that doesn't understand design. Fake airvents, lack of body lines, disproportionate front and rear, lack of Hofmeister kink, lack of Zicker line, and more are plaguing the 8 (and really all the new BMW launches...their new design "language"). The 8 is not a timeless design, but to each his own and if you like it, buy it.
I still own the F06 M6 and at the same time, I find the new 8 to be much better looking in the coupe form compared to the GC. I love the new 8's front end, it's sharp and aggressive, but all the new BMW's rear end design language is just not my cup of tea... In addition, all BMW's basically share the same interior design with the 8 just using slightly better and elegant trim pieces...

The BMW G generation to me is a big failure so far...
Appreciate 1
Tejael64.00
      11-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #75
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acexxon View Post
I still own the F06 M6 and at the same time, I find the new 8 to be much better looking in the coupe form compared to the GC. I love the new 8's front end, it's sharp and aggressive, but all the new BMW's rear end design language is just not my cup of tea... In addition, all BMW's basically share the same interior design with the 8 just using slightly better and elegant trim pieces...

The BMW G generation to me is a big failure so far...
The 8's front is already looking dated to me. Seen many in person now in the Chicago area. Looks ordinary. Looks a LOT like the front on the Ford Fusion with the way the lights angle into the grille. Headlights should always have the bottom inside closest to the grill, not the top. That's basic design language and violating that creates a design that looks "different" initially, but dated relatively quickly as it does not flow well.

If anything, the rear at least has some uniqueness, but not in a good way (overdone). I actually appreciate the Lexus RC and LC now, compared to the 8 (and I will never buy a Japanese car). So that says a lot about the emotions the 8 stirs.

The "G" Generation has done away with many classic BMW design staples and ignored basic design flow hallmarks. This leads to "fresh" ideas that look trendy and dated. People may still buy these cars, but not because the timeless design. Will be interesting to see what the "H" Generation brings. I have a hunch Hofmeister and Zicker will be back and considered "fresh" again!

Last edited by thebmw; 11-03-2019 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0