M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2018 MB CLA45 AMG - My Experience

10-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #23
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Yeah the photo is a bit weird on the front end but it looks fine in person.

I just dislike the canards attaches after. Everything else is okay.
The CLA just doesn't look right imo, I think partly it's because it's based on a transverse engine fwd platform with too much bodywork ahead of the front wheels. But to me it looks like it's a bit 'droopy'.
The c-class has far better proportions, with the front wheels pushed further forward.

My C class has a similar engine to the '45 and it sounds a bit crap as do most IL 4's.. if you want a good noise, the Audi RS3 is the one to have.

From the reviews I've read though, the VW Golf R is the one to have in this segment.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #24
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingscotsman View Post
The CLA just doesn't look right imo, I think partly it's because it's based on a transverse engine fwd platform with too much bodywork ahead of the front wheels. But to me it looks like it's a bit 'droopy'.
The c-class has far better proportions, with the front wheels pushed further forward.

My C class has a similar engine to the '45 and it sounds a bit crap as do most IL 4's.. if you want a good noise, the Audi RS3 is the one to have.

From the reviews I've read though, the VW Golf R is the one to have in this segment.
My problem with the Golf R is very simple actually and that is it is too inconspicuous too. If I am going to get something along the performance segment I do not want my car to be so quiet among the crowd. I like a good balance.

CLA45/GLA45 might be too much w/ the canards (or wing for the GLA45) but that is okay. I have nothing against the RS3 but I'm not fond of the interior of Audi being solely about one thing which is the "Virtual Cockpit" as Audi puts it. Again it is about balance. For me both the RS3 and CLA45 has it's faults within the interior but I can sort of deal with it.

Odd thing is I should have my connections w/ Audi that I can get my hands on a RS3 or at least have a good idea of what the car is about. I'm only leaning into Benz right now because I actually like the CLS styling and the CLA reminds me of it. Both of my parents prefer Benz cars over Audi and that would help considering regardless of how old I am, I always speak to them regarding any large purchases. (It is a habit).
      10-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The '18 R's finally have a few decent colors and Virtual Cockpit.

[img]https://resources.stuff.co.nz/conten...0839789549.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #26
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

Ah.

Honestly there is something about the Golf R that is not getting my appeal too much. Maybe that can change if I see the car in person but I'm not sure.

Of course my first car that was really mine was a VW so who knows.
      10-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #27
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Ah.

Honestly there is something about the Golf R that is not getting my appeal too much. Maybe that can change if I see the car in person but I'm not sure.

It's too bland. The golf 420 looked more imposing but obviously they killed that around the emissions scandal breaking.

A flash tuned golf r is an impressive beast, although stock is extremely underwhelming and it obviously requires a massive launch to hit an 11 second 1/4

I was going to buy one, but at the time VW was charging way over msrp on the car and being dicks about modding it. Things have changed since then lol

The RS3 is objectively better than the 2017 CLA45 and GLA45 I test drove, cant speak to the new one
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #28
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I have driven the 45 AMG with 380 hp...

What I like-

Fwd based awd system works very well...

What I dislike-

4 banger engine that sounds awful and complete lack of torque.

The engine honestly ruins the car... if this came w a 6 turbo it would be great.
      10-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #29
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
It's too bland. The golf 420 looked more imposing but obviously they killed that around the emissions scandal breaking.

A flash tuned golf r is an impressive beast, although stock is extremely underwhelming and it obviously requires a massive launch to hit an 11 second 1/4

I was going to buy one, but at the time VW was charging way over msrp on the car and being dicks about modding it. Things have changed since then lol

The RS3 is objectively better than the 2017 CLA45 and GLA45 I test drove, cant speak to the new one
I personally cannot overlook the Golf R's appearance. It looks even more tame than the GTI to me and that is wrong on so many levels.

I also do not do tunes so that isn't a consideration for me when I look at cars. I look at Stock HP/Torque and that is all I really care for.

I only briefly considered a Golf R but I found out the Rs are being priced above MSRP a lot and that was a turn off. I can probably look around enough to get it at a better price but I much rather look at a CLA45 or RS3 at that point even though those two cars costs much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

What I like-

What I dislike-

The engine honestly ruins the car... if this came w a 6 turbo it would be great.
Car companies are slimming down their engines mainly for the increasingly strict emissions problems. I don't believe MB would have put a V6 or Inline 6 in this car regardless.

However as with almost all Inline 4s, it will always sound somewhat the same engine wise. I'm sort of amazed quite a few mainstream car reviewers tend to mix up Engine Sound and Exhaust Note. The CLA45 exhaust sounds good as soon as you put it in Sport/Sport+/Race. It sounds tame on Efficient. However like I mentioned the engine is still a typical Inline 4 engine and it does not have a good acoustic noise to it. No car company will be able to make a Inline 4 acoustic noise sound nice, not even AMG.

Exhaust Note and Engine Noise are two different things. This is something people miss when they talk "how a car sounds."
      10-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #30
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:

Ah.

The Mk7 is boring as hell. I greatly prefer the Mk6 looks, even though I own a Mk7 GTI. It's great if you never want to draw any attention, and the R is even more boring, the front bumper looks like a regular Golf and they come in awfully boring colors.

But dynamics of the Mk7 are great and the R is available with three pedals in the US, immediately making me prefer it to the DSG only S3 and Mk3. I thought there was a chance we'd get the new TT RS with a manual option, but looks like they nixed that.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #31
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post

I personally cannot overlook the Golf R's appearance. It looks even more tame than the GTI to me and that is wrong on so many levels.

I also do not do tunes so that isn't a consideration for me when I look at cars. I look at Stock HP/Torque and that is all I really care for.

I only briefly considered a Golf R but I found out the Rs are being priced above MSRP a lot and that was a turn off. I can probably look around enough to get it at a better price but I much rather look at a CLA45 or RS3 at that point even though those two cars costs much more.

Quote:

What I like-

What I dislike-

Car companies are slimming down their engines mainly for the increasingly strict emissions problems. I don't believe MB would have put a V6 or Inline 6 in this car regardless.

However as with almost all Inline 4s, it will always sound somewhat the same engine wise. I'm sort of amazed quite a few mainstream car reviewers tend to mix up Engine Sound and Exhaust Note. The CLA45 exhaust sounds good as soon as you put it in Sport/Sport+/Race. It sounds tame on Efficient. However like I mentioned the engine is still a typical Inline 4 engine and it does not have a good acoustic noise to it. No car company will be able to make a Inline 4 acoustic noise sound nice, not even AMG.

Exhaust Note and Engine Noise are two different things. This is something people miss when they talk "how a car sounds."
To be clear... the Engine has a typical noise and the exhaust nose is even more fake sounding than the M3... the pops and cracks it makes are almost bluntly overdone and artificial.
      10-09-2017, 12:40 AM   #32
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To be clear... the Engine has a typical noise and the exhaust nose is even more fake sounding than the M3... the pops and cracks it makes are almost bluntly overdone and artificial.
No of course. The exhaust overruns aka burbles is mainly an ECU thing.

I was stating that even reviewers mix up Engine Acoustics and Exhaust Note. It is a little irritating when I read it.
      10-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #33
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

Quote:
The Mk7 is boring as hell. I greatly prefer the Mk6 looks, even though I own a Mk7 GTI. It's great if you never want to draw any attention, and the R is even more boring, the front bumper looks like a regular Golf and they come in awfully boring colors.

But dynamics of the Mk7 are great and the R is available with three pedals in the US, immediately making me prefer it to the DSG only S3 and Mk3. I thought there was a chance we'd get the new TT RS with a manual option, but looks like they nixed that.
I actually prefer the fact that's it's a bit subtle (maybe I'm just getting old)
If I had one, I'd take the R badges off.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      10-11-2017, 04:15 AM   #34
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingscotsman View Post
I actually prefer the fact that's it's a bit subtle (maybe I'm just getting old)
If I had one, I'd take the R badges off.
I... barely even notice the R badge now a days... lol

Silly VW
      10-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #35
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Excited to see the new I6 in the next gen CLS.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8136.50
      10-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #36
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Small Update:

I went to check the rear seating for the CLA45/CLA250 and I can confirm it to be very small. As I mentioned in my OP, I sat in the front when driving and the front is fine for me. I had more than enough headroom. However the rear seat for my friend who is close to 6" was pretty bad. I wanted to find this out on my own so I went and did find out. It is pretty bad for me as well. I'm close to 5'7", I'd say I'm 5'6" and a half and only have about half an inch clearance to the roof. It is VERY tight even for me. The legroom is also pretty stupid. Unless you are under 5'3", this car isn't wonderful to sit in the rear. My parents are both shorter then me and I'm sure they will have issues with the rear seating.

The GLA250 I sat in was far better by a mile for the rear seats. However again I am not a fan of the A-Class Benz (the hatchbacks) so I don't know if the GLA45 will be a choice for me. That being said, my friend Nathan told me he will let me know when they get their CLA45 next month and I will go see it for myself then.

I might try to get my hands on a Audi RS3 however I'm unsure of my connections with Audi right now so... might be able to drive one... maybe.