M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Test drove an F150

06-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #23
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post

So far my 6.7L Power Stroke has been good, but I have another truck (with a CAT engine) that has been a pain in the ass. High pressure fuel pumps have been the main problem.

I do worry about all the emissions crap and the HPFP on the 6.7, but for medium to heavy duty there is no choice.

I really like diesel, but I would have a hard time recommending one to a friend who just wanted to occasionally tow an airstream, the truck wouldn't even know the trailer was there, BTW.

Underworked diesels seem to have more problems then ones that are worked hard (according to my mechanic, and experience), my 6.0L got 'coked' up, mechanic said that doesn't really happen to the work trucks that are worked hard, I occasionally used mine for heavy towing, but mostly DD.
The 6.7L is definitely an improvement over the 6.4 and the 6.0. The only real problems I've seen with them is the turbos (some shining star at Ford decided ceramic bearings were good enough) and the HPFP. The HPFP isn't too common, but it is very expensive (Bosch) and the few failures I've seen even within warranty have been a PITA to try and get Ford to cover.

Diesel trucks definitely need to be worked, but with the newer ones it is a constant battle. Don't work them enough, and they get coked up. Work them constantly, and the truck produces more soot in the DPF, causing it to regen more often. My buddy also found out that for all the guys who have tuned trucks, you can pretty much add another 0 to the price for what would normally be a wear item. Definitely keep the newer trucks stock, or use only a light tune. A lot of those big tuners will advance the timing too much and the engine goes boom under load.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #24
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L, just about covers all bases imo.
      06-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #25
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

It's all going to depend on what size trailer you are going to pull, how far, and how often? Going up mountains?

If you just plan on staying a few hundred miles from home or less and only tow a few times a year then the f150 with either engine is fine. Otherwise highly consider finding a used diesel instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #26
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Drove friend's new ecoboost fx4 several time and wasn't impressed at all. Felt really floaty and seemed like a lot of play in the steering. The ride and seats weren't comfortable. Much prefer the Ram especially when they are 25% off. Almost impulse bought one just for towing.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #27
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep

I'm not big on Chrysler products but RAM does offer a diesel in a half ton truck that is much more reasonable than its 3/4 ton diesel brother. I belive Nissan has one also that may be worth checking out.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #28
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
I'm not big on Chrysler products but RAM does offer a diesel in a half ton truck that is much more reasonable than its 3/4 ton diesel brother. I belive Nissan has one also that may be worth checking out.
Iirc, the nissan is having big problems. Nothing against nissan trucks. Went through 2 titans myself and never a problem.
      06-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #29
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep

Yeah I didn't know any details other than than they offered a diesel and it just came out. Hopefully they will work out the problems.

RAM also had a problem with first year eco diesels... I belive they were getting exhaust gas in the cab. The eco diesel wasn't anything new when it went into the RAM either, it had been offered in the grand Cherokee for years. It's just one of those first year model woes, they changed one little thing when they transplanted the eco diesel into the RAM and it didn't work right.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #30
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

I like the V8 model better. Mines just hit 60k, no issues so far.
Appreciate 0