M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos help with sliding the rear

04-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

help with sliding the rear

i have been practicing how to slide the rear out. i am getting closer, but i find it really hard to do it on cue and it doesn't feel right (i practice on rwd and awd cars). any help from experienced sliders out there would be much appreciated.

here is what i do. i switch traction control off and just before i approach the corner i shift down. then as soon as i reach the apex i slam on the accelerator while countersteering. the back slides but only sometimes and certainly not enough. i have not experimented with the handbrake much.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Mmmm good question for advevo
      04-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

so today i continued my self-education on rear sliding (on a closed road) in the absence of pearls of wisdom from the forum. i think i might be giving up on this for a while. i got the car's rear to slide so remarkably well that i scared myself silly. it began well. i built up speed before a 90 degree left hander in 4th and, just as the corner was in good view, i jiggled the transmission back to 2nd and slammed on the accelerator right at the apex of the bend. the back slid out magnificently and my front wheels were turned to the right countering the sway. it felt very cool for a millisecond but then it kept on going even when i relented with the gas pedal. by the time i was stopped i had done about 200 degrees of sliding and was pointing in a northeasterly direction. i need professional help to do the slide properly or to stop attempting it altogether.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

it takes time to master, its quicker if you have someone knowledgeable there with you... Please only practice on close roads, as you have found out its very easy to spin out while trying to powerslide.

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0