M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion A Little Fun Driving Today With "New Rules" In Effect

04-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #23
BranoMW
Enlisted Member
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: M850i First Edition, F16 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
This morning I set off on my new planned 52 mile race course loop for the M850i on a daily basis until the stay-at-home orders lift and I'm back to my daily commute. The course includes a freeway shot, many stretches of 45 to 55 MPH PSL and the holy grail of about an 18 mile stretch on a 2-way county road with a 55 MPH PSL.

To my chagrin the county road section had more traffic on it than expected given it is a Sunday and there were plenty of others out going to the biking and hiking trail destinations you get to from it. However, outside of a rare county sheriff patrolling (given the remoteness of the stretch a one in a thousand chance) I still let it rip. Some of that fun was to pass slow movers and the M850i did so with an absolute ease and before I knew it the 84 MPH speed alert lit up every time in seemingly a blink of the eye.

Looking forward to tomorrow's run mid day in which I expect to encounter way less traffic on the county road stretch. Just need to figure out how to take more coffee with me as my 16oz mug was depleted less than half-way through the route. My wife has a couple of Hydro Flasks but neither will fit in the M850i cup holders. First world problems.

AlexFL took the pic of the watch for the day before heading out. An absolute classic with the backstory being I am not a Rolex fan whatsoever. However, no matter how hard I tried to find an equivalent blue dial watch with anywhere near the sheer beauty of the Submariner it was a failure. After succumbing to that fact I just enjoy the beauty every time I wear it.
I like blue dial watches too, I have Breitlings (got them from my wife to my round 51st birthday :[-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #24
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
AlexFL took the pic of the watch for the day before heading out. An absolute classic with the backstory being I am not a Rolex fan whatsoever. However, no matter how hard I tried to find an equivalent blue dial watch with anywhere near the sheer beauty of the Submariner it was a failure. After succumbing to that fact I just enjoy the beauty every time I wear it.
Ahhh, the classic Rolex OP! Not a fan of Rolex either, but this one is timelessly elegant.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #25
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
you need 2 sixteen oz mugs, or 1 of those mugs that's small at the bottom and gets big at the top and holds like a gallon. Although you're probably going to need to find a rest stop half way through!

something like this (although I haven't used any of these): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752DZ1SB..._05gLEbCCC508T

I used to have something similar that I bought at Walmart about 20 years ago, but I threw it away like a decade ago when we got the big SUVs with big cup holders.
Thanks and that may work as long as it doesn't hit the Audio/Climate control assembly not to far above the cup holders. Ironically I made sure I hit the restroom before heading out yesterday for that exact reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BranoMW View Post
There are free highways these days, so by entering them I enjoy at least for few kilometers full power up to speed limit (at 260 km/h).

And yes, I got speed limit penalty in February, they measured me 183 km/h at 130km/h limit. :-) (first penalty after maybe past 5 years...)
Sounds like fun! Well not the speed limit penalty as 53 KM/h over a posted 130 KM/h limit as here in AZ would qualify for criminal speeding which may even end up in jail time and probation!

Quote:
I like blue dial watches too, I have Breitlings (got them from my wife to my round 51st birthday :[-)
Gorgeous Breitling and enjoy it every time you wear it. My pilot friends (all own planes and have logged flying hours to what most of us spend in our cars) are all Breitling fans given the aviation focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Ahhh, the classic Rolex OP! Not a fan of Rolex either, but this one is timelessly elegant.
Yes, definitely timelessly elegant. My mid-day run today was cancelled due to a last minute critical meeting (that pesky thing called work) but tomorrow's plan is to do it with my JLC Master Geographic. If that happens will be sure to post a pic.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      04-14-2020, 08:00 AM   #26
BranoMW
Enlisted Member
Slovakia
Rep

Quote:

Sounds like fun! Well not the speed limit penalty as 53 KM/h over a posted 130 KM/h limit as here in AZ would qualify for criminal speeding which may even end up in jail time and probation!
Here it is just finantial penalty now (until I will not cause an accident), where max penalty (exceeding allowed limit in 70+ km/h) is ~800 eur while when I pay it within 2 weeks I have 30% discount :-). In the past is was 3 times and stop i.e. after 3 such cases I would need to repeat my proof to driving licence.

Interesting story had my son, while driving overnight to Serbia openning some EV autoshow there, Serbian highway police patrol stopped him measuring him over 300km/h on highway (he has M5 and has M driver licence, so that's why it is unblocked M5). When they found out he is from Slovakia just told him to drive more carefuly and let him continue... :-)

The bottom line is that when you drive e.g. 200km/h with 8er you don't feel it like dangerous speed, because car is sitting good on the road. By 130km/h I feel like driving 90km/h with any other car. And not only by direct road, but also by curves it sticks to road.

Last edited by BranoMW; 04-14-2020 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #27
BranoMW
Enlisted Member
Slovakia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Would love to that here in Sydney, but the only option is to hire a race track. Most of the freeways in and out of the Sydney are limited to 100 kmh.

If I was doing 90 mph (=145 kmh) then I would be 45kmh over the limit and if I caught I would lose my licence for 3-6 months and my car would be impounded for 3 months.
Were there not some roads with no speed limit in AU (like in Germany)? Or are they too far from Sydney, or cancelled already? Recently I heard there were some discussions again to make some roads with no speed limit again?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 06:51 PM   #28
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The bottom line is that when you drive e.g. 200km/h with 8er you don't feel it like dangerous speed, because car is sitting good on the road. By 130km/h I feel like driving 90km/h with any other car. And not only by direct road, but also by curves it sticks to road.
Completely agree. My outgoing Lexus fared very well up to 110 MPH but when I took it to 140 MPH on a rare occasion it was like driving a Hyundai at 100 MPH. On the flip side even with my wife in the M850i when I hit 130 MPH (~210 KPH) on a freeway stretch I asked her later how fast she thought I was going. The answer being 90 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #29
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I did get the chance to make the 52 mile loop this morning between meetings (a lull in the action between 8:30am and 10:30am). As expected the county road section was near desolate so I was able to hit a 120 MPH on a few of the straight line stretches. Once I get more comfortable on the "track" should be seeing 130 MPH+ on them in the upcoming days.

AlexFL I did make the drive with my JLC Master Geographic. It is a rare version as between the black dial (no longer offered) and surgical stainless steel case/band (no longer offered) just like the Tanzanite Blue and Fiona Red/Black on the M850i a beautiful sight to see. Side note being for the unexplained reason Bimmerpost has reoriented the picture. At least it isn't upside down which also happens on occasion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #30
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Were there not some roads with no speed limit in AU (like in Germany)? Or are they too far from Sydney, or cancelled already? Recently I heard there were some discussions again to make some roads with no speed limit again?
The Northern Territory (NT) used to have open speed limits like Germany. They have now been reduced to 130 km/h. Other States the limit is 110 km/h. Sydney freeways is 100 km/h. Race track only option.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 12:19 AM   #31
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I did get the chance to make the 52 mile loop this morning between meetings (a lull in the action between 8:30am and 10:30am). As expected the county road section was near desolate so I was able to hit a 120 MPH on a few of the straight line stretches. Once I get more comfortable on the "track" should be seeing 130 MPH+ on them in the upcoming days.

AlexFL I did make the drive with my JLC Master Geographic. It is a rare version as between the black dial (no longer offered) and surgical stainless steel case/band (no longer offered) just like the Tanzanite Blue and Fiona Red/Black on the M850i a beautiful sight to see. Side note being for the unexplained reason Bimmerpost has reoriented the picture. At least it isn't upside down which also happens on occasion.
Nice!! Love the JLC! Next is Vacheron Constantin Overseas, no?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 04:06 AM   #32
BranoMW
Enlisted Member
Slovakia
Rep

Quote:
The Northern Territory (NT) used to have open speed limits like Germany. They have now been reduced to 130 km/h. Other States the limit is 110 km/h. Sydney freeways is 100 km/h. Race track only option.
This is pity and the shame. I understand the speed limits from 100-130 km/h in 90's and if at that time and technical level of cars it was OK, at present days this limits should be in 30-50 km/h higher.

I do know the people which never were driving faster than 130-150km/h, and even some which are afraid to drive faster, but OK, nobody is pressing them to drive faster, but I am pressed to drive so slow, especially when I have the car which can drive with the same securitylevel at 200km/h like e.g. WV Glolf @ 130 km/h. This is indeed frustrating. And when I want to have a little fun with speeding the car at the same time I have to fight with the bad feeling that I am violating some stupid rules? OK, my complains minute is over. :-)
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      04-15-2020, 11:11 PM   #33
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Nice!! Love the JLC! Next is Vacheron Constantin Overseas, no?
Sadly I do not have any VCs in the collection. For a perpetual calendar it all came down to either a VC Traditionnelle or an IWC Portugieser in rose gold. Unfortunately, I could never get the deal I wanted on the VC but did so for the IWC (including a round trip to NYC for the purchase). Ironically the IWC was sent in for service in early March after I wore it to experience the magic of it gracefully handling leap day. With the COVID-19 situation I'm not even sure when I can expect it back at this point.

Tomorrow's drive (if I can pull it off during the workday) will be with either a Glashutte Original Panomaticlunar (#38) or an Omega De Ville Co-Axial limited edition (forget the # in the series) which was the first production co-axial movement ever.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      04-16-2020, 12:35 AM   #34
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

Glad to live in Texas, speed limit 75mph and open free way 85mph, above 100mph you can get a ticket or go to jail, depending on the officer.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #35
It's Good
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Just a reminder to you younger guys.FYI,I'm 67 re:the age thread.Anyway IMO,you dont't have to go fast fast to enjoy a drive in your 8er.Yesterday I did a 1hr. loop in my GC that included silk smooth two lane,stunning mountain views
,blooming redbud,emerald green fields, and a mountain pass with 2-3 inches of snow(pavement dry).Oh and Jeff Beck.Top speed 75.Gotta love Va.and my 850i GC.

Last edited by It's Good; 04-16-2020 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #36
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Good View Post
Just a reminder to you younger guys.FYI,I'm 67 re:the age thread.Anyway IMO,you dont't have to go fast fast to enjoy a drive in your 8er.Yesterday I did a 1hr. loop in my GC that included silk smooth two lane,stunning mountain views
,blooming redbud,emerald green fields, and a mountain pass with 2-3 inches of snow(pavement dry).Oh and Jeff Beck.Top speed 75.Gotta love Va.and my 850i GC.
I usually drive around Leesburg, but I drove the route to Winchester the other day. in the convertible with the top down, anything under 50 is pleasant. over 60 mph, it starts to get to be a lot of wind in the mountains.

still, the 840s and GC might be made to be under 55 mph;
However, I can tell you that the M850I coupe and convertible were built to be above 80 mph. the m8 and comp were built for 150 mph track speeds.

race cars can drive slow, but they really shine at 6000 rpm.

the same way that bloozemanAZ describes the sound system opening up at 50% volume. the v8 sports car turns from a GT into a racer at 50% power.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #37
BranoMW
Enlisted Member
Slovakia
Rep

Exactly! I think this is the beauty of this V8/8er, that it has two faces/personalities. If you gently touch the gas pedal, it is soft quiet limo and if you push it seriously (no need entirely, just over the 50%) to the floor, leasant limo changes to wild cheetah which wants to run full speed forward.

Re-thinking the purchase, indeed this are two cars in one package, not bad, or even cheap (and saves the space in the garage)! :-)
Appreciate 2
dhoggm3268.50
      04-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #38
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Good View Post
Thanks for the post and I can almost picture that beautiful drive. 2 thumbs up on the Jeff Beck aspect to boot! I have Blow by Blow in HiRez FLAC that I pump through the B&W and it sounds absolutely stellar.

Yesterday's drive (about 40 miles round trip) to buy some toilet paper at a Walmart Neighborhood Market that had it in stock was primarily all on the freeway. Hence, my tactic for that drive was different than my more of a performance run. I cranked up Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, selected Comfort and engaged full autonomous driving at 80 MPH) and just enjoyed the B&W sound as not much to look at from a scenery perspective on the intercity freeway.

Off topic but for anyone out there in need of toilet paper (the new currency here in the US and likely global) you can get real-time inventory status via https://www.zoolert.com/home/toilet-paper/.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 11:01 PM   #39
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Had a great drive this weekend as the wife and I made an excursion to Cottonwood (~220 miles round trip) to meet up with some friends at a Vineyard for wine tasting and an overnight stay at a nearby hotel (social distancing in effect at all times). I was looking forward to the drive as the stretch of I-17 to get there is roughly 3K feet in elevation gain with many inclines/declines and twisting sections of roadway.

On the drive up yesterday I tested out Adaptive and it definitely appears to work. I can tell the difference between Comfort vs Sport steering and during the twisting sections of roadway at least the steering (assuming suspension as well) was indeed in Sport. On the drive home today I set the car in Sport just to verify. It turned out more fun than planned as a matte silver AMG GLE 63s was on the road as well with a need to speed so leveraging him/her as my bird dog I played along as well.

With the experience of the drive up and knowing I could take the 60 to 65 MPH marked sections of road due to the inclines/declines and curves at 84 MPH the game was on to do it at 90-95 in the curves and up to 105 MPH on the straights. There was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Chevy HHR trying to play along but on every incline we'd leave them well behind (the M850i never downshifted but rather that endless torque just came into play) and on the declines as well as they could not take the curves without braking.

I could have easily taken the AMG but the smart move was to let him/her play bird dog out in front so with that, my V1 and JBV1 (with Waze integration) I felt safe from the DPS along the way. I did have several JBV1 (via Waze) notifications of police sightings but thankfully they were all on the northbound side vs our southbound fun and games. I've never questioned the M850i purchase (forgoing the months of turmoil during the ordering process) but this morning's experience absolutely sealed the deal on what a great car it truly is!
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      04-26-2020, 12:26 AM   #40
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the post and I can almost picture that beautiful drive. 2 thumbs up on the Jeff Beck aspect to boot! I have Blow by Blow in HiRez FLAC that I pump through the B&W and it sounds absolutely stellar.

Yesterday's drive (about 40 miles round trip) to buy some toilet paper at a Walmart Neighborhood Market that had it in stock was primarily all on the freeway. Hence, my tactic for that drive was different than my more of a performance run. I cranked up Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, selected Comfort and engaged full autonomous driving at 80 MPH) and just enjoyed the B&W sound as not much to look at from a scenery perspective on the intercity freeway.

Off topic but for anyone out there in need of toilet paper (the new currency here in the US and likely global) you can get real-time inventory status via https://www.zoolert.com/home/toilet-paper/.
I checked Zoolert and things are looking pretty grim in the US! It's self corrected here, so there is now plenty again. Hope you guys are not having to go double sided.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #41
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

so I took the m850i out today. For the first time in 40 years, DC traffic was non-existent on a Sunny Saturday. that never happens.

so, that leads me to wonder about the rest of the country. For those of you that do NOT live in NYC, LA, DC, etc. :::
is this what roads are like? You can see black asphalt instead of bumpers? Cars fly at INSANE speeds, like triple the normal??

No wonder sports cars were popular. Did anyone else get outside today??
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 10:57 PM   #42
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
so I took the m850i out today. For the first time in 40 years, DC traffic was non-existent on a Sunny Saturday. that never happens.

so, that leads me to wonder about the rest of the country. For those of you that do NOT live in NYC, LA, DC, etc. :::
is this what roads are like? You can see black asphalt instead of bumpers? Cars fly at INSANE speeds, like triple the normal??

No wonder sports cars were popular. Did anyone else get outside today??
Phoenix is not DC, NYC, LA, etc. but we have our fair share of traffic and for the past month its practically a ghost town on the roads these days. I didn't get out today but for comparison on my drive back yesterday from the grocery store in which I chose to take the feeder road vs freeway (and the fun ensued with the AMG S-Coupe) normally that road has dozens of cars on it.

If memory serves there may have been a total of 6 including myself and the AMG. In fact that's most likely why the AMG owner was ripping down the road as I turned onto it as "new rules" are indeed in effect minus the traffic and normal LEO patrol. My trip last weekend with the wife coming down from our overnight stay in Cottonwood was similar. Normally that stretch of the I-17 has 10X the traffic that the AMG GLC Coupe and I had to navigate through to keep the 90 to 105MPH fun fest in action.

There are a lot of down sides to COVID-19 (hoping everyone is staying safe and healthy) but for us car enthusiasts the "new rules" are the absolute upside. This may start to shift this month as many states are starting to lift some of the COVID-19 stay-at-home executive orders. Honestly, being in the healthcare space I think this is premature but understand the rationale given the impact on the economy and the hourly workers, etc. on the front line of the that. At least here in AZ the changes are only incremental with the majority of our stay-at-home rules in effect through the end of the month.
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      05-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #43
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
The roads were deserted a couple of weekends ago, it was awesome. This past weekend it was back to normal on a Saturday minus kids sport. Kids sport on Saturday's accounts for a monumental amount of traffic across the city, so if I take that into account it was quieter but more normal.

Australia is still at less than 100 COVID deaths, we have a number of States COVID free of new cases for multiple days now, so normalcy returning.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11289.50
      05-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #44
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
The roads were deserted a couple of weekends ago, it was awesome. This past weekend it was back to normal on a Saturday minus kids sport. Kids sport on Saturday's accounts for a monumental amount of traffic across the city, so if I take that into account it was quieter but more normal.

Australia is still at less than 100 COVID deaths, we have a number of States COVID free of new cases for multiple days now, so normalcy returning.
Nice, we had a record # of deaths here (US) today from what I read

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0