M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Does the price of car insurance affect your sports car buying decision?

04-27-2020, 02:40 AM   #23
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

have you thought about getting a beater for a few thousand bucks and moving the corvette to specialty insurance like grundy?

My annual premium for the m3 went from $2000 a year with geico to $630 a year. insured for $45k value.

thats 1400 in savings every year. In 2 years you'll have paid for your $3k beater car.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #24
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
have you thought about getting a beater for a few thousand bucks and moving the corvette to specialty insurance like grundy?

My annual premium for the m3 went from $2000 a year with geico to $630 a year. insured for $45k value.

thats 1400 in savings every year. In 2 years you'll have paid for your $3k beater car.
Geico insurance on my 440i is $1200 a year including 7 years /100k miles multi-risk mechanic breakdown insurance versus a jaw dropping $3000 on the C7 Z51 Corvette. Same coverage for 10K miles a year of driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #25
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
I haven't bought many cars associated with crazy insurance prices, so I've definitely bought the car before checking with insurance. With BMW and the Jeep (my most recent purchases) I did call insurance first and the costs weren't crazy. So I bought both. I like the C7 vette quite a bit and would consider replacing the BMW with one and if it gets to the point where I'm going to pull the trigger on one, I will call insurance for a quick quote. No way I would buy any car if I need to pay thousands of dollars extra for a single car. It's one thing if it's an awesome exotic of some sort. But for a corvette? Not worth it to me. We'll see though.

I will say I would be interested to know the cost for insurance on an Alfa 4c given the carbon tub. I can see that being quite pricey for insurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #26
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
The short answer would be NO.
I think we all buy what we want regardless of insurance cost.
What an odd way to start a topic. Try and look past yourself. Not everyone thinks the same as you do.

Of course I consider what it costs to insure a vehicle before buying it. That's called doing my due diligence.
      04-30-2020, 09:51 AM   #27
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
You want sticker shock. Try getting full coverage insurance on a liter bike in your 20s. When I got into my first sport bike back in 2003-4, I was on some forums where insurance costs were discussed. I saw one instance where the guy got quoted for a year's insurance the exact cost of buying the bike new.
Ahh so true! I remember getting a Kawasaki Ninja 600 at age 22 for $5500 and the insurance quote was $1,600. Was painful, but I wanted a bike so bad that it didn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
What an odd way to start a topic. Try and look past yourself. Not everyone thinks the same as you do.

Of course I consider what it costs to insure a vehicle before buying it. That's called doing my due diligence.
Due diligence is key, insurance, operating costs, maintainace intervals/costs are all factors to consider. Without this, you can end up being one of those people that buy a huge house and realize they don't have the budget to furnish it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #28
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post

I do as well, but unless it's outrageous (compared to the same class competition vehicles) I usually don't take too much notice. Kind of stupid though since I'll argue with the dealership when purchasing over $5/month lol.