M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion sales advice

04-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #89
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Just read an article today from MarketWatch that its a total car buyers market at this point in time. It also called out that with all of the incentives to buy (0% interest, 6 month deferrals on 1st payment, etc.) that the leasing rate vs buying rate has drastically shifted. The auto manufacturers and associated financial services arm actually prefer leasing as they believe there is a greater chance during a lease return the owner will opt for leasing one of their new models (hence the loyalty discounts, lease incentives, etc.).

The concern is for their grab at any sales transaction possible for the lease returns in April/May is with the financing incentives they may lose the lease return/re-lease factor. Only time will tell but yet another impact of COVID-19 on the auto industry. If I had not purchased my M850i last December I'd be aggressively looking at picking up a new car. In fact regardless of the M850i if I had a 3-car garage I'd be in the market right now.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #90
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Just read an article today from MarketWatch that its a total car buyers market at this point in time. It also called out that with all of the incentives to buy (0% interest, 6 month deferrals on 1st payment, etc.) that the leasing rate vs buying rate has drastically shifted. The auto manufacturers and associated financial services arm actually prefer leasing as they believe there is a greater chance during a lease return the owner will opt for leasing one of their new models (hence the loyalty discounts, lease incentives, etc.).

The concern is for their grab at any sales transaction possible for the lease returns in April/May is with the financing incentives they may lose the lease return/re-lease factor. Only time will tell but yet another impact of COVID-19 on the auto industry. If I had not purchased my M850i last December I'd be aggressively looking at picking up a new car. In fact regardless of the M850i if I had a 3-car garage I'd be in the market right now.
Like you I've seen lots of 0 interest, no payments for 90 days etc etc but the lease/deals in general still suck. We need sign and drive true 1% lease deals based on discounts of ~15%+ for MY 20's and they will move units. They're still betting on a V shaped recovery and it may very well end up being W shaped when all is said and done...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #91
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Like you I've seen lots of 0 interest, no payments for 90 days etc etc but the lease/deals in general still suck. We need sign and drive true 1% lease deals based on discounts of ~15%+ for MY 20's and they will move units. They're still betting on a V shaped recovery and it may very well end up being W shaped when all is said and done...
In my semi-retirement gig with Healthcare we're in the game of the COVID-19 shifting financials and our actuary staff is already forecasting the impact. However, a great majority of that impact is due to us stepping up to do the right thing in regards to waiving co-pays, deductibles, etc. for all cases tied to COVID-19 along with deferred premium payments (with zero penalties).

I'm still in close contact with dozens of friends from my prior high-tech manufacturing gigs and they're projecting a WW before returning to normalcy. If the car industry expects a V well they are likely in for a rude awakening.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #92
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
In my semi-retirement gig with Healthcare we're in the game of the COVID-19 shifting financials and our actuary staff is already forecasting the impact. However, a great majority of that impact is due to us stepping up to do the right thing in regards to waiving co-pays, deductibles, etc. for all cases tied to COVID-19 along with deferred premium payments (with zero penalties).

I'm still in close contact with dozens of friends from my prior high-tech manufacturing gigs and they're projecting a WW before returning to normalcy. If the car industry expects a V well they are likely in for a rude awakening.
They're always behind the curve...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1