M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Front Splitter

12-07-2019, 05:58 AM   #1
rb555
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850I convertible

Front Splitter

Dealer delivered my car to me without the front splitter installed. I can have it installed at any time. Just wondering if there are any pros or cons. Or is it just a cosmetic thing. I like look both ways. Opinions appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
P878757.50
      12-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb555 View Post
Dealer delivered my car to me without the front splitter installed. I can have it installed at any time. Just wondering if there are any pros or cons. Or is it just a cosmetic thing. I like look both ways. Opinions appreciated.
Yup. They did the same to me back in Feb. but they installed it right when it came in. Was only off the car so it doesn't get damaged being shipped. It looks a lot better, you should go and have them do it the next time you're free. Before vs After
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Splitter is a soft rubber material. Put it on, looks better and will protect your front

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarjejeega View Post
Yup. They did the same to me back in Feb. but they installed it right when it came in. Was only off the car so it doesn't get damaged being shipped. It looks a lot better, you should go and have them do it the next time you're free. Before vs After
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
rb555
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850I convertible

Thanks for your thoughts, My Splitter was in the trunk when I picked up the car. Dealer will install it anytime I want. I'm going to have it installed.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

same

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts, My Splitter was in the trunk when I picked up the car. Dealer will install it anytime I want. I'm going to have it installed.
they did the same to me. it's mostly for looks, but after driving for a week without it and then 6 months with it on; I'll say it does add some down force to keep the front end down.
Also it bottoms out and gets scrapped up, but I'd rather it get banged up rather than my actual front end.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #6
P8787
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
they did the same to me. it's mostly for looks, but after driving for a week without it and then 6 months with it on; I'll say it does add some down force to keep the front end down.
Also it bottoms out and gets scrapped up, but I'd rather it get banged up rather than my actual front end.
The same thing happen to me. I found the splitter in the trunk. I had it wrapped in gloss black and then installed had installed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:34 PM   #7
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Mine was on the car when delivered but with some minor scratches from the ship evil knievel drivers. So having them off and fitting at the dealer is the way to go. You definitely want to fit if you live in a speed hump city as you will know very quickly the speed humps you can go over at a modest speed and those at which you will need to be very careful. The rubber gives you the noise as it makes contact with the ground but your car and paintwork are protected.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I'll double down on that as my 2020 M850i came with it installed and although I have been very careful I was caught off guard one evening (after a couple of cocktails) and even though I slowed down for a drainage culvert in the road I still hit the front end. Saving grace was the rubber front-end splitter that took the damage (not much whatsoever) but without it in place it could have been a completely different story.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:49 PM   #9
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Mine gets caught on even low parking bumpers, happened twice and it won't happen again, but you need to be diligent.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 07:16 AM   #10
Reliable1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 M8 Comp Gran Coupe

Can’t wait for the aftermarket companies to release some new front splitter options! The factory splitter is kind of weak! These cars need something way more aggressive to finish off the front ends!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:15 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Mine gets caught on even low parking bumpers, happened twice and it won't happen again, but you need to be diligent.
I diligently always turn 3D view so I can make sure the back-end of the car is far enough into the space but I'm no were near the parking bumper on the front-end. In fact I walked away from the first order after it could not be changed to include the full Driver Assistant Package vs the watered down one that was on the order given it did not have 3D view. I'll likely never use the Parking Assistant Plus as I park the car out in space to avoid any potential door dings, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:29 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliable1 View Post
Can’t wait for the aftermarket companies to release some new front splitter options! The factory splitter is kind of weak! These cars need something way more aggressive to finish off the front ends!
Check out this thread if you haven't seen it yet (https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1684101) as some info there. AC Schnitzer hasn't released yet for M8 but assume they will given they have a package now for the M850i.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:30 PM   #13
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

I must of grown up at an incredible pace the last couple years. Before every car was slammed with a lip. Looked sick but was such a pain to drive. Scraping on everything and just using the lip as a shovel. As I was parting out my m4 I took off the springs and lower lip first and left all the performance mods on. I could tell you it was so much more enjoyable to drive.

So I am at a cross road with the m8. Put some performance mods on the car already and loving the power and most importantly the comfort of being at stock height without a lip. The car is so long to begin with it doesn’t maunevaur that well it tight spaces. Slamming it will give me less view and trying to get out of steep driveway is going to be very tough. For sure the exhaust will be scrapped and under carriage

But I will most likely get new wheels and I will be forced to lower it. Let see how this all goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliable1 View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 12:14 AM   #14
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I diligently always turn 3D view so I can make sure the back-end of the car is far enough into the space but I'm no were near the parking bumper on the front-end. In fact I walked away from the first order after it could not be changed to include the full Driver Assistant Package vs the watered down one that was on the order given it did not have 3D view. I'll likely never use the Parking Assistant Plus as I park the car out in space to avoid any potential door dings, etc.
Yes, and this is why I will never hit the bumper again, I don't like the shadow/black area in the image, why is that there? Kind of blocks the view a bit, no?

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, and this is why I will never hit the bumper again, I don't like the shadow/black area in the image, why is that there? Kind of blocks the view a bit, no?
The same grey area is on my wife's 2017 X5 which I optioned up to include the 3D camera view, HUD, etc. and have always assumed it is just an area given the camera locations on the mirrors cannot accurately portray. In the M850i I've been going by the horizontal orange line (need to check if it is there on the X5 as well) as my guide and it seems to be spot on.

Took this pic in the garage today after returning home from a Costco run which was an absolute zoo so even the "out in space" parking spaces were occupied. The 3D View did not let me down in finding my way into a corner slot so I could get all the way over to the driver side and leave a mountain of space on the passenger side from the parking spot to the right. In the pic the horizontal line is accurate as to where the front-end is distance wise from the raised area outside of the garage door (equivalent of a parking bumper). Had to laugh once I recognized that the pair of sneakers to the left appear to be floating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:48 PM   #16
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

^Thanks, on mine the shaded area is black which seems to make it harder to see parking bumpers etc when pulling up close. Edit...I also updated to the latest version about a week ago.

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-26-2020 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
^Thanks, on mine the shaded area is black which seems to make it harder to see parking bumpers etc when pulling up close.
Grey vs Black must be a 2019 vs 2020 difference but that is surprising since we are both on iDrive 7. Perhaps a camera thing? Do you have the same orange horizontal line?

Going to the garage now to check on my wife's 2017 X5 rendering.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #18
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Grey vs Black must be a 2019 vs 2020 difference but that is surprising since we are both on iDrive 7. Perhaps a camera thing? Do you have the same orange horizontal line?

Going to the garage now to check on my wife's 2017 X5 rendering.
Mine's one of the last 19's and there was still an update. I have all kinds of colored lines and shapes. I did read in the manual, that the system does not show low lying images well due to the angle/position of the cameras, so maybe the shaded areas are a nanny of sorts? We need a BMW tech on this forum

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
The wife's X5 is grey but with iDrive 6 it does not have all of the other sight line indicators like our iDrive 7, i.e., no horizontal orange line and forward facing green/amber/red depending on distance.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 09:43 PM   #20
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The wife's X5 is grey but with iDrive 6 it does not have all of the other sight line indicators like our iDrive 7, i.e., no horizontal orange line and forward facing green/amber/red depending on distance.
I'll take some pics next time I drive the 850 and post here.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Latest observation on this thread is I'm not sure what it takes for the orange line to show up but it failed me yesterday as it wasn't there and I slightly hit the splitter on a parking bumper.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 10:44 AM   #22
RNemesisN63
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit M850

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2013 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P8787 View Post
The same thing happen to me. I found the splitter in the trunk. I had it wrapped in gloss black and then installed had installed.
How has the wrap held up with the gloss black?