M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Golf R Sportwagen

05-23-2014, 05:32 AM   #23
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Maybe in the US but in other parts of the world the wagon is alive and kicking.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Most manufacturers have dropped wagons and those that were introduced (CTS, TSX) were quickly dropped due to low sales. I think VW may be the only manfacturer seeing an uptick in wagon sales.
It's true that there have been a number of flashes in the pan in the wagon segment over the past few years. You mention a couple and the Dodge Magnum is another one. But the Sportwagen is a clear exception. It's the right combination of size, price, efficiency, and performance.

Volvo recently re-entered the market with the V60 and they have gone all in with multiple power train offerings including the extremely limited 350hp Polestar model. The problem with the V60 is it's cargo area is small and its still on the pricey side. A Sportwagen R would take the V60 R Design to task in the performance category at the V60 T5 price point. I think there is potential for some real win here for VW.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #25
Yanothan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 and F23

Quote:
I would love to have my S4 in avant form but it wasn't offered. I think the last of the performance wagons died with the end of the last gen CTS-V. I miss the Audi Avant. They were best of breed.
Couldn't agree more with that whole statement.

(For those saying "get an Allroad instead." It is NOT a great alternative, as it needs better powertrain options.)

As far as the SportWagen, I don't know... I've always loved station wagons, but the SportWagen just doesn't do it for me. It's either looks, (very subjective), or a lack of a performance option, or both. Either way, if a SportWagen R does make it stateside, I will actually be intrigued.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #26
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

I think pricing is a huge challenge. There's no way this won't be above $40k if the R32 is mid-upper $30's. That's ok if you're cross shopping X1's or even X3's or some other $40-$50k German entrant.

The problem with these types of cars for me ALWAYS is that the car it's based on was designed to sell profitably for 1/2 the money. Whether Jetta or Golf, most of what you touch and interact with was designed to sell at an $18k starting point.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #27
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I think pricing is a huge challenge. There's no way this won't be above $40k if the R32 is mid-upper $30's. That's ok if you're cross shopping X1's or even X3's or some other $40-$50k German entrant.

The problem with these types of cars for me ALWAYS is that the car it's based on was designed to sell profitably for 1/2 the money. Whether Jetta or Golf, most of what you touch and interact with was designed to sell at an $18k starting point.
That may have been true in the past but recent iterations have had fantastic fit and finish. For a $26k GTI, I thought mine had great seats, nice leather wrapped wheel, the controls were plastic feeling but I did have a stripper other than the leather. I will say that the Golf R has that same interior at a $10k premium and at that entry point, you start to feel a little short-changed.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I think pricing is a huge challenge. There's no way this won't be above $40k if the R32 is mid-upper $30's.
You might be right, but for what it is worth there is only about a $1k difference between a 2014 Golf VI and 2014 Jetta SW today (though the new 2015 Golf VII comes in at a lower base - but then so too may the new 2015 Golf VII SW).

Quote:
That's ok if you're cross shopping X1's or even X3's or some other $40-$50k German entrant.
Or if you just want a performance car with utility.

Quote:
Come talk to us over on f80.bimmerpost.com. $70k-ish (minimum) for a new M3, and worth every penny over the $35k 320i. I'll bet you don't disagree with me.

Hey, I acknowledge that it's an easier sell for a performance coupe, sedan, or even hot-hatch than it is a performance wagon. But again, this thing in regular, pedestrian guise can sell 15k units a year in the US. How many SW Rs would they need to sell to make it worthwhile? Maybe a fifth of that? If the traditional Golf hatchback can pull off the R in the US - for what, four generations now? - I don't see why the wagon is automatically not going to work. Seems to me there's at least a decent shot here.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #29
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
That may have been true in the past but recent iterations have had fantastic fit and finish. For a $26k GTI, I thought mine had great seats, nice leather wrapped wheel, the controls were plastic feeling but I did have a stripper other than the leather. I will say that the Golf R has that same interior at a $10k premium and at that entry point, you start to feel a little short-changed.
That's just it. You'd just have to be enamored with the car's utility or performance and not think too much about interior, etc. I'm not knocking it, I really do like this type of vehicle though the R32 has slightly better proportions to my eye. Either would be on my short list when they come out. I'll reserve judgement till I sit in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You might be right, but for what it is worth there is only about a $1k difference between a 2014 Golf VI and 2014 Jetta SW today (though the new 2015 Golf VII comes in at a lower base - but then so too may the new 2015 Golf VII SW).

Or if you just want a performance car with utility.

Come talk to us over on f80.bimmerpost.com. $70k-ish (minimum) for a new M3, and worth every penny over the $35k 320i. I'll be you don't disagree with me.

Hey, I acknowledge that it's an easier sell for a performance coupe, sedan, or even hot-hatch than it is a performance wagon. But again, this thing in regular, pedestrian guise can sell 15k units a year in the US. How many SW Rs would they need to sell to make it worthwhile? Maybe a fifth of that? If the traditional Golf hatchback can pull off the R in the US - for what, four generations now? - I don't see why the wagon is automatically not going to work. Seems to me there's at least a decent shot here.

I've actually been lurking over there (F80) lately, doing a little window shopping! I do agree that it's "worth" it, but the advantage BMW has is that even though it seems obscene to be 2x the price, the starting price of the 320i at $35k is enough that the car carries a pretty decent level of quality to begin with.

Not to go OT, but it's the curse of the Mustang GT for those of us who have been driving BMW's for a while. Great power train and probably a steal at $40k based on performance but still a car based on one that sells for $24k. Imagine if Ford accepted the fact the sales would be hurt but started the base Mustang at $30k and channeled every penny of that $5000+ into making the interior spectacular. Every switch feeling like it was out of an aircraft, every knob feeling like a high-end stereo, thick carpet, not one bit of hard plastic, etc. It would kill sales but imagine a 420-440hp Mustang with an Audi/BMW level interior and quality of materials.

Maybe ignorance is bliss. I see it in my car vs my wife's X5. Her paint is better, the carpet is much nicer, leather seems thicker, the door seals, power windows, everything seems just a notch or two nicer.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #30
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

For those who missed the news, it's officially a product now.

http://m.autoblog.com/2014/11/18/vol...iant-official/

Now granted, U.S. sales have not been announced. But, I thinks it's pretty clear they chose to introduce this in L.A. rather than last month in Paris because they thought there would be interest here and wanted to see just how much. I'd give it better than a 50/50 shot of making a U.S. appearance at this point.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #31
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I still think the proportions look weird but I would probably buy it in a heartbeat when the lease on my CC R-line is up.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #32
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

A buddy of mine who loves Golfs loves this (http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=31201)
      11-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #33
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

I own a Golf R, use it as my DD as I only use my GT3 for track days mostly now.

The R is a great little car, run the kids around and it has a good amount of useable space, but I would take the wagon 100% over the hatchback if I could because it's so much more useable. I have 2 kids, so for my use the extra cargo space is welcomed.
Appreciate 0