M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lee Iacocca passes away at age 94

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #1
N54Yankee
Captain
N54Yankee's Avatar
United_States
1313
Rep
965
Posts

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Lee Iacocca passes away at age 94

A giant in the American Automotive world. RIP Lee.
__________________
__________________
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. Samuel Adams
Appreciate 4
      07-03-2019, 05:21 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5310
Rep
13,174
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Indeed. Arguably the father of the "Pony" car (Mustang), which led to the American Muscle Car. Father of the front drive Minivan (Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Caravan, etc.), and lastly father of the front-drive American mid-sized sedan (Chrysler K platform). And father of the controversial US Government-backed loan guarantee.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
minn195515.50

      07-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
MADBMWX3
Second Lieutenant
MADBMWX3's Avatar
70
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Aldie, VA

iTrader: (0)

Interesting...I thought he was gone a long time ago....
__________________
2019 BMW X3 M40i Black Metallic Sapphire
Before 2013 BMW X1 and 2005 BMW X3
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
N54Yankee
Captain
N54Yankee's Avatar
United_States
1313
Rep
965
Posts

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Indeed. Arguably the father of the "Pony" car (Mustang), which led to the American Muscle Car. Father of the front drive Minivan (Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Caravan, etc.), and lastly father of the front-drive American mid-sized sedan (Chrysler K platform). And father of the controversial US Government-backed loan guarantee.
Not forgetting He also was CEO and gave the final ok to go forward with the Viper, a pretty bold move at the time and a huge marketing success as well as a terror on the Road/Track. He certainly had the golden touch there for quite some time.
__________________
__________________
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. Samuel Adams
Appreciate 4
Rmtt1242.50
Dackelone8966.00
Efthreeoh5310.00
minn195515.50

      07-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
thebmw
Post Advisor
160
Rep
743
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs and SRTs
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Not forgetting He also was CEO and gave the final ok to go forward with the Viper, a pretty bold move at the time and a huge marketing success as well as a terror on the Road/Track. He certainly had the golden touch there for quite some time.
Yes. He was a good auto leader and took chances. Not many like him anymore.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee1312.50

      07-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #6
thebmw
Post Advisor
160
Rep
743
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs and SRTs
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

I will always be appreciative of him because I won the Lee Iacocca Scholarship for college!!
Appreciate 4
N54Yankee1312.50
Efthreeoh5310.00
Viffermike1682.50

      07-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5310
Rep
13,174
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Not forgetting He also was CEO and gave the final ok to go forward with the Viper, a pretty bold move at the time and a huge marketing success as well as a terror on the Road/Track. He certainly had the golden touch there for quite some time.
If there was one flaw in his career it could be pointed at development of the Ford Pinto. The Pinto got an undue bad rap for it's fuel tank design flaw (which was corrected). I owned four Pintos over time and thought it was a great car. The number of fuel tank fire deaths in the Pinto were actually less than other Japanese small cars of the same era, the Corolla being one. And statistically the Pinto was no less safe than any other car of the era too. It's just Ralph Nadar got the Corvair shitcanned, so he needed a new vehicle to go after.

But again, Iacocca was leading the American auto industry with the Pinto development rather than lagging behind.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1682.50

      07-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
RS DAVE
Banned
88
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: E91 335D M SPORT
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: WIGAN

iTrader: (0)

Not forging, Carroll shelby went to him for the engine's for the Cobra!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
N54Yankee
Captain
N54Yankee's Avatar
United_States
1313
Rep
965
Posts

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If there was one flaw in his career it could be pointed at development of the Ford Pinto. The Pinto got an undue bad rap for it's fuel tank design flaw (which was corrected). I owned four Pintos over time and thought it was a great car. The number of fuel tank fire deaths in the Pinto were actually less than other Japanese small cars of the same era, the Corolla being one. And statistically the Pinto was no less safe than any other car of the era too. It's just Ralph Nadar got the Corvair shitcanned, so he needed a new vehicle to go after.

But again, Iacocca was leading the American auto industry with the Pinto development rather than lagging behind.
Just goes to show, Nobodies perfect.
I had a pinto also, in the mid 80s it had a mildly worked carbed 302 underhood. It was a rocket but handled like shit and was a serious death trap thrill ride. I quickly sold it for the price of the engine as a friend grenadec his mustangs 302.
__________________
__________________
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5310
Rep
13,174
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS DAVE View Post
Not forging, Carroll shelby went to him for the engine's for the Cobra!!
And he was at the helm when Ford kicked Ferrari's butt...
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.




m8
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST