M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Heading North for Christmas

11-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
olivojoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Garage List
Heading North for Christmas

My wife and I are heading up to the DC area from Florida in December, and we will be taking her RWD Chevy Suburban. Should I be concerned with driving this thing up north with my all season tires?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Those things come in RWD? It's all up to mother nature. I assume you mean in bad weather, in which case yes I would be a little concerned. I would not imagine that thing handles too well in snow. I would try to get winter tires on there before you leave if you can. If you're a gambling man, just hope it doesn't snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I live much farther north (in CT) and we have maybe five days a year that the road surface is snow covered. You will be absolutely fine. December is also a bit early for major snowfall in DC.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
olivojoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I live much farther north (in CT) and we have maybe five days a year that the road surface is snow covered. You will be absolutely fine. December is also a bit early for major snowfall in DC.
Thats kind of what I figured but this "polar vortex" crap seems to be bringing down some nasty stuff pretty early this year. We eill be taking major roadways so I would imagine they would be pretty well salted even if there is really bad weather.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Suburban, are you kidding me that thing weighs as much as a tank. Just drive slow, don't see how you would have any traction issues.
      11-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

If it's any consolation, I drove my 128i up to Michigan for Christmas last year and had to drive through a shit ton of snow on my all season RFT's. I did get stuck in my ex's parents driveway, but once I turned Trac control off, I was able to maneuver out of it. Other than that, it's just driving slower since the rear wheels are easy to slip out from under you if you push your luck enough.

I doubt you'll have any issues in a Suburban with the added weight. Plus like Jericho said, you may not have a ton of snow to deal with in DC around that time.
Appreciate 0