M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 11 Supercars Worth More than $8 Million Seized from Dictator’s Son in Geneva

11-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #1
j_marinelli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT

11 Supercars Worth More than $8 Million Seized from Dictator’s Son in Geneva

The life of an African Dictator....

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...eneno-and-one1

Quote:
The supercar-loving son of Equatorial Guinea President dictator Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo has once again had his fleet of multimillion-dollar machines confiscated.

The latest collection includes a Bugatti Veyron, Koenigsegg One:1 and Lamborghini Veneno Roadster. Instagram user swisssupercars posted a short clip on Wednesday showing the cars loaded on the back of trucks and being carted away by Swiss authorities in Geneva.

Mbasogo’s son, Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue, officially the Vice President of the oil rich but poverty stricken Equatorial Guinea, made headlines in 2011 when French authorities seized his collection of supercars and other assets in a raid in Paris. That collection included a Bentley Azure, two Bugatti Veyrons, a Ferrari [NYSE:RACE] Enzo and 599 GTO, a Maserati MC12, and a Porsche Carrera GT. The entire collection was auctioned off in 2013 for just $4 million.

In the French case, Mangue is accused of using public funds to pay for his lavish lifestyle. He is also facing money laundering and other charges. Swiss authorities are working with their French counterparts in their own investigation but are yet to announce details regarding Wednesday's seizure.

Mangue and his father have also run into trouble with authorities in the United States, including having a mansion in Los Angeles seized. According to GT Spirit, Mangue is also no longer permitted to travel in the U.S. and France.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

some lucky bastard that won them for 4 mill can definitely make a nice profit.
      11-08-2016, 01:15 AM   #3
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Help me understand this.

Ok I get that they are scumbags etc.. his son is visiting another country and French/Swiss government's are seizing his property? He may be a POS dictator and I can understand them not being welcome to visit, but how is he breaking any laws while visiting another country? He is some dictator of some small African country and although what he is doing would be illegal pretty much everywhere; in the country he rules he can do whatever he wants. If he steps out and visits another country foreign governments are trying to police him and his son?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
Help me understand this.

Ok I get that they are scumbags etc.. his son is visiting another country and French/Swiss government's are seizing his property? He may be a POS dictator and I can understand them not being welcome to visit, but how is he breaking any laws while visiting another country? He is some dictator of some small African country and although what he is doing would be illegal pretty much everywhere; in the country he rules he can do whatever he wants. If he steps out and visits another country foreign governments are trying to police him and his son?
That's a yes.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
How old is this story? I'm not being a dick, I'm just trying to figure out how this big of an automotive story was missed.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 11-08-2016 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Seems pretty new, saw a BBC article on it from 5 days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
How old is this story? I'm not being a dick, I'm just trying to figure out how this big of an automotive story was missed.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Seems they're going after him not for being a dictator but for money laundering. Money may have come from internal corruption in his country, but if he used Swiss or French banks to launder it, they can seize the assets. Based on the story, he's also had a house seized in LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
Help me understand this.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Seems pretty new, saw a BBC article on it from 5 days ago.
Ah, I didn't read the article closely enough. This is the SECOND time this has happened to this guy.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0