M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Which insurance guarantees OEM parts?

01-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Exclamation Which insurance guarantees OEM parts?

Just curious if there is an insurance that uses OEM parts only? Someone mentioned farmers but their quotes are ridiculous in my area (Philly burbs). Most insurances use aftermarket parts inducing GEICO which is my current insurance.

Also does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? Are the aftermarket replacements not to spec? Just wondering.

Thanks.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Being an F80, or almost any M car in general you're safe because there are no aftermarket parts available as far as body panels go.

Insurance is forced to use OEM.

Also, aftermarket parts I find are 99% junk usually.
      01-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
SuspectisHatless
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I would ask a reputable auto body shop in your area for which insurance companies are easier to work with.
Appreciate 2
Ric in RVA1464.00
Dackelone10511.00
      01-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
If i remember correctly, Mercury and AAA are the two companies my friend at the BMW Certified Collision Center recommends.
      01-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

I work at an insurance driven bodyshop. Fully 1/3 of the aftermarket parts we recieve get returned. Nissan factory parts are almost as bad. BMW and MB aren't really supported by the aftermarket. We only see OEM for those 2 brands. Used parts are also commonly used, but again not for BMW/MB. The best way to guarantee OEM parts is to take your car to a BMW certified collision/refinish center for any claim. They will get your insurance to pay for OEM parts.
Appreciate 1
///M///1861.00
      01-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Generally speaking, you're going to need a replacement cost policy or endorsement for any type of assurance that OEM parts will be used where used/jobber alternatives exist. Even then, it is dependent on policy wording. Ask your agent to do the legwork on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Amica. I pay an extra $30 a year to guarantee OE parts. Never had to use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

I believe Liberty Mutual guarantees OEM parts unless they are not available.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
I believe Liberty Mutual guarantees OEM parts unless they are not available.
No.

I have Liberty Mutual and they will reuse/repair damaged parts instead. Although it is OEM it isn't new OEM parts.
      01-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #10
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
No.

I have Liberty Mutual and they will reuse/repair damaged parts instead. Although it is OEM it isn't new OEM parts.
That's not what I was told when I filed a claim last year.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #11
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
That's not what I was told when I filed a claim last year.
They can tell you different things but I have 1st hand experience with Liberty Mutual with multiple claims on my family's cars. They prefer to repair your current damaged part than completely replace it with an OEM piece.

This is why my friends at BMW Certified Collision doesn't like working with Liberty Mutual because it is a huge hassle for them. In fact I'm going through my comprehensive damage on my 328i right now so I know this as a fact. At least for me on the West Coast.

I was also rear ended past year on my 328i and Liberty Mutual took 1 month and a half plus to finish the claim so I was without my car for that long period of time.

If Liberty Mutual did indeed replace your damaged car part (door, fender etc) then the repair would be a lot faster. But they don't, not as least what I have been experiencing.
      01-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
They can tell you different things but I have 1st hand experience with Liberty Mutual with multiple claims on my family's cars. They prefer to repair your current damaged part than completely replace it with an OEM piece.

This is why my friends at BMW Certified Collision doesn't like working with Liberty Mutual because it is a huge hassle for them. In fact I'm going through my comprehensive damage on my 328i right now so I know this as a fact. At least for me on the West Coast.

I was also rear ended past year on my 328i and Liberty Mutual took 1 month and a half plus to finish the claim so I was without my car for that long period of time.

If Liberty Mutual did indeed replace your damaged car part (door, fender etc) then the repair would be a lot faster. But they don't, not as least what I have been experiencing.
Not necessarily true. It depends on the parts cost and the re&re time vs bench time vs estimated time. Actual repair time is not considered. If the estimated repair time from ADP or Mitchell is 8 hours and the part is less than $1000 (for example) the insurer will always opt for replacement as it costs them less. OTOH, your shop will always push for repair because they get paid estimated time and if their techs are good they'll repair it in less and the difference is pure profit. The bench time for most good techs will consistently beat book times by 20% or more and repair shops will always prefer repair over replace if it's anywhere close in cost. There's a lot more profit to be made from good bench times than on parts markup.

Your shop is blowing smoke up your backside if they're telling you that they would prefer to use replacement parts and the insurer is saying no. The shops always prefer repair if its feasible because there's a lot more $$$ in it for them.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Generally speaking, you're going to need a replacement cost policy or endorsement for any type of assurance that OEM parts will be used where used/jobber alternatives exist. Even then, it is dependent on policy wording. Ask your agent to do the legwork on this.
Be careful on "replacement cost" policies. Have seen this a couple times at our body shop. Two year old car that had been rolled end over end. At first, adjuster was going to write it off as the repairs were worth more than the car, but then they noticed it had replacement cost coverage. In that case, they keep going until the repairs are worth MORE than the price of a new car. So, two year old car with $65k in damages was fixed because the new one was $70k. Car has been a nightmare of rattles, squeaks, electrical issues since.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #14
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Be careful on "replacement cost" policies. Have seen this a couple times at our body shop. Two year old car that had been rolled end over end. At first, adjuster was going to write it off as the repairs were worth more than the car, but then they noticed it had replacement cost coverage. In that case, they keep going until the repairs are worth MORE than the price of a new car. So, two year old car with $65k in damages was fixed because the new one was $70k. Car has been a nightmare of rattles, squeaks, electrical issues since.
Very true in some cases. In my case, my replacement cost policy is actually with a different insurer from my comp/collision (happenstance more than good planning).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #15
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Very true in some cases. In my case, my replacement cost policy is actually with a different insurer from my comp/collision (happenstance more than good planning).
Oh I didn't know that.

Honestly when it comes to Insurance companies I might not be 100 true with things but that is my experience so far. I would say people have different experiences with different insurance companies so
      01-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #16
RC Pilot
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Most insurance companies use LKQ (like kind and quality) or used parts. You are free to pay the difference in cost if you want OEM parts. As pointed out by 08njSTEP, if you take your vehicle to a high-end certified BMW shop your odds are better to get OEM parts. Repairs may take longer as your shop argues with the insurance co appraiser, but in the end the shop will not roll over as easy as your everyday shops.

I was not aware of any carriers that gave you the option to pay extra premium to guarantee OEM parts. $30 a year is not bad for that. m3m3mr, do you have a copy of the endorsement for that coverage? Curious to read what it says.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #17
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
Amica. I pay an extra $30 a year to guarantee OE parts. Never had to use it.
The body shop I have used in the past told me that the Amica people will not sign off on the job unless I'm happy with the parts used. I've never had anything even close to a experience with Amica. They are amazing.
Appreciate 1
oolas3387.00