M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Autocar Video - Alpina B8 Gran Coupe vs Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S review

10-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Autocar Video - Alpina B8 Gran Coupe vs Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S review

Quote:
What is the world’s greatest four-door grand tourer? Well, it’s quite probably one of these.

The Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S has long been one of our favourite big sporting bruisers. It has a 4.0-litre twin turbocharged V8 making 630bhp and 664lb ft, which is good enough to propel this 2045kg machine from 0-62mph in 3.2sec and o to 196mph.

It also returns 21.9mpg and 298g/km but given it costs £146,785, perhaps you’re not counting.

It now, though, gets a new rival. The Alpina B8 Gran Coupe, Alpina’s loose take on a BMW M850i.

It too is very fast and very powerful. It has a 4.4-litre V8 engine making 613bhp and 590lb ft, which is good for a 201mph top speed, and a 0-62mph time of 3.4sec.

Its economy and emissions are 23.9mpg and 270g/km. And it costs £134,950.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      10-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #2
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

B8 is just not appealing. My dealer got 2 in recently and sent pics trying to entice me and its just not anything that's worth my attention or $$$$$$
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
B8 is just not appealing. My dealer got 2 in recently and sent pics trying to entice me and its just not anything that's worth my attention or $$$$$$
Same. I test drove a '20 B5 and, coming from native Ms, I found it lacking.

To each their own I guess…
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #4
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post

Dare I say the M760LI gets a respectable nod though lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 09:57 PM   #5
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
Quote:

Dare I say the M760LI gets a respectable nod though lol.
I'm not a sea captain, I've no idea idea how to drive a boat.
Appreciate 1
Vic5518965.50
      10-08-2021, 11:20 PM   #6
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not a sea captain, I've no idea idea how to drive a boat.
Funny you say this....

One of my customers is a born and bread sailor.... a literal walking encapsulated version of steamboat Wille meets Jed Clampit. Well long story short he is apart of an elite group of only 30 guys in the state of Texas that can bring any foreign flagged cargo ship into US waters on our coast (like 50miles from the coast) and he's literally flown out to the vessel's to navigate them into the Port. Now keep in mind he's got a $15mil spread out near the Texas / Louisiana border(another country over there as he calls it) and the monstrosity of a house sits on 170acres. In talking with him I saw an Alpina B7 in the garage lined up.with his gator utv, diesel trucks, escalades and ..... chicken coup. I was in the TRX one of those days and asked him about it and he joked about how he spends his days navigating 1200ft long, 180ft tall, and 150ft wide vessel's 2 ft above the Port floors so the Alpina B7 fit perfectly as a "business meeting car". He then proceeded to tell me how he get plenty of looks when he steps out of his B7 wearing overalls(keep in mind he's like 400lbs) while going to meet at the governors office to either lobby for their percentage shares or to get their yearly certs signed by the Gov. This lead me to ask, percentage share? I would've never have guessed it, but those boys with that role are making nearly 2% the value of each vessel s cargo they bring into Port.

My mind was blown especially after he told me just to get to where he's at after they go through the levels to even be considered for a 3yr apprenticeship, in the event they get the nod they still have a $500k plus buy into the "membership".

See you got me on a tangent with your boat reference.... owning fast Mopars... I'm used to it lol.
Appreciate 0