M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2022 M8GC amd Racechips not playing well.

09-28-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

2022 M8GC amd Racechips not playing well.

Well!......

Looks like the 2022 M8 GC and the Racechips doesn't play well.

Had to make a trip between Houston and Austin today and had some good strips of Mexican road along the way.

Loving the added power of the racechips I felt like it was definitely time to open it up.

Having ran the M8GC past 160mph prior I was ready to do the same with the Racechips in place. Had everything set to full bore and in S3 on the trans setting.... cars cooking and then wam!!! Hard defuel at 130mph which was mid 6k rpm in 5th and Check control light(drivetrain), and had figured it was associated with paddleshifting. Got to a gas station turned car off, yellow wrench light goes away. Go to do it again all the same with not paddles and same thing happens at exact same spot in the RPM/speed range.

So I went and turned the car off again and turned the racechips off. Go to do another run without the racechips and the cars pulls just fine businesses as usual 150mph+.

Going to call racechips tomorrow, but by the looks of things it's not playing well with the higher rpms and the 2022 M8s.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I've had issues with piggy back before, I tend to do flash tune or bench tunes, but then again I do that because if I plan to tune any car I do it deep, because I know warranty work will always be risky. lol If I due tune my M8, I'll probably go bigger turbo route and bench tune.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
moonM8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8GC, 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
Well!......

Had to make a trip between Houston and Austin today and had some good strips of Mexican road along the way.

Loving the added power of the racechips I felt like it was definitely time to open it up.

Having ran the M8GC past 160mph prior I was ready to do the same with the Racechips in place. Had everything set to full bore and in S3 on the trans setting.... cars cooking and then wam!!! Hard defuel at 130mph which was mid 6k rpm in 5th and Check control light(drivetrain), and had figured it was associated with paddleshifting. Got to a gas station turned car off, yellow wrench light goes away. Go to do it again all the same with not paddles and same thing happens at exact same spot in the RPM/speed range.

So I went and turned the car off again and turned the racechips off. Go to do another run without the racechips and the cars pulls just fine businesses as usual 150mph+.

Going to call racechips tomorrow, but by the looks of things it's not playing well with the higher rpms and the 2022 M8s.
@r33_RGSport might be able to chime in and help
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12966.00
      09-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonM8 View Post
@r33_RGSport might be able to chime in and help
Yea, OP called earlier.
Unfortunately, I can't help much since unit wasn't purchased from me, so I can't see which map version that he is having.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
moonM8384.00
      09-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Spoke with Racechips today and based on what I experienced the main tech (who sounded like one of the guys in their videos that does the dynos) stated that likely being I had the car set to level 7 and the control popped up that the car I have is making more power from the factory than their test car from the factory and its hitting a power parameter failsafe that's in place from the factory that they obviously don't touch.

Essentially he stated to try running a lower setting then working up from there.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 08:02 PM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Well!......

Naaaaa. Mine is working just fine; I'm running map 7. I'll report back here if anything unexpected or similar occurs.

Good luck with yours!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12966.00
      09-29-2021, 09:01 PM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Spoke with Racechips today and based on what I experienced the main tech (who sounded like one of the guys in their videos that does the dynos) stated that likely being I had the car set to level 7 and the control popped up that the car I have is making more power from the factory than their test car from the factory and its hitting a power parameter failsafe that's in place from the factory that they obviously don't touch.

Essentially he stated to try running a lower setting then working up from there.
I'd say they have 7 maps for a reason. Running on map 5 or something, probably isn't a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #8
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Naaaaa. Mine is working just fine; I'm running map 7. I'll report back here if anything unexpected or similar occurs.

Good luck with yours!
But how fast have you ran it up? It's triggered in map 7 in 5th gear. Another 2022 user here had same thing happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:16 PM   #9
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck with yours!
But how fast have you ran it up? It's triggered in map 7 in 5th gear. Another 2022 user here had same thing happen.
Fair point. Buck 50 tops I'd guess. Not sure where I can push it much further but I hear ya on the scenario. If it presents itself, I'm fairly certain I'll take it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:19 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:

I'd say they have 7 maps for a reason. Running on map 5 or something, probably isn't a bad idea.
If, like me, you want more… then is selecting a 5 out of 7 when the difference between them is one click away gonna last long? Rhetorical. Nope. I'd guess most folks 'eventually' end up at 7 (assuming they clicked Fine Tuning).
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2021, 10:57 PM   #11
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
If, like me, you want more… then is selecting a 5 out of 7 when the difference between them is one click away gonna last long? Rhetorical. Nope. I'd guess most folks 'eventually' end up at 7 (assuming they clicked Fine Tuning).
Now that you tried the racechip how do you like it compared to jb4?
I Myself returned the racechip and got the jb4 because i did not feel any difference between map 1 and 7 with racechip
I am not sure if my racechip unit was not good or why i did not feel a real bump in power like i felt with jb4 even on map 1
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:17 AM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
Quote:
Now that you tried the racechip how do you like it compared to jb4?
I Myself returned the racechip and got the jb4 because i did not feel any difference between map 1 and 7 with racechip
I am not sure if my racechip unit was not good or why i did not feel a real bump in power like i felt with jb4 even on map 1
It's not as night and day as the JB4 but I certainly feel it. I'm on the fence right now as to what I'd do next time around. Time will tell but currently I have no reason to go back to a JB4.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 10:32 PM   #13
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Fair point. Buck 50 tops I'd guess. Not sure where I can push it much further but I hear ya on the scenario. If it presents itself, I'm fairly certain I'll take it.
Lol.

I've been keeping it on 7 still since running to 130/6299 rpms I'm 5th isn't a norm and it performs just fine.

I'm going to try and find an AWD dyno near me and see whats what.

I'd be curious what oem output is.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 12:30 AM   #14
MiamiM8Comp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition

Quote:
Hello, that would be me 🙋🏽*♂️. Unfortunately we could not get the RC to work well with mine either (I have aftermarket downpipes).
After trying a couple different tweaks the RC techs told me that it would not be possible to make it work. Maybe there is something on our 2022’s that they have not figured out yet. I went the JB4 route and it worked out.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 12:40 AM   #15
MiamiM8Comp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition

Quote:
It's not as night and day as the JB4 but I certainly feel it. I'm on the fence right now as to what I'd do next time around. Time will tell but currently I have no reason to go back to a JB4.
Hey Limey, your car was running great times with JB4, why did you go to RC ? Are you running better times now?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM8Comp View Post
Quote:
Hey Limey, your car was running great times with JB4, why did you go to RC ? Are you running better times now?
I'm not racing them anymore… I think I scratched that itch pretty thoroughly. So when my last car was sold and they wanted everything left on it, I figured let's try a Racechip this time around. So far, I'm happy with it but I'm not timing pulls and stuff which is where the differences would likely show up; my seat of the pants dyno can't tell.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12966.00
      10-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #17
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not racing them anymore… I think I scratched that itch pretty thoroughly. So when my last car was sold and they wanted everything left on it, I figured let's try a Racechip this time around. So far, I'm happy with it but I'm not timing pulls and stuff which is where the differences would likely show up; my seat of the pants dyno can't tell.
jb4 is faster. but I like my racechip for ease of use. dummy proof - just for me. like apple iPhone. vs andriod complex.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #18
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
jb4 is faster. but I like my racechip for ease of use. dummy proof - just for me. like apple iPhone. vs andriod complex.
Jeez man —thanks for the input an' all but for the last time, their respective installs are identical if you so choose. Racechip has the dummy plug over the JB4, JB4 offers greater perf gains. But both can be used with only two cables.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12966.00
      10-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #19
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Regardless I think we all would agree.... the M8GC and its ability to touch low 10s with a simple fooler box is fucking great.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 05:59 PM   #20
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Regardless I think we all would agree.... the M8GC and its ability to touch low 10s with a simple fooler box is fucking great.
Never in question.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #21
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jeez man —thanks for the input an' all but for the last time, their respective installs are identical if you so choose. Racechip has the dummy plug over the JB4, JB4 offers greater perf gains. But both can be used with only two cables.
there was someone on here a while back that compared and found the jb4 a fraction faster.
but I don't recall the post or who posted it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #22
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
there was someone on here a while back that compared and found the jb4 a fraction faster.
but I don't recall the post or who posted it.
Might have been me. I stacked them for a week and tested back to back by disabling one, enabling the other. The JB4 came out on top by a couple of tenths across Dragy metrics.
Appreciate 2
moonM8384.00
r33_RGSport12966.00