M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Break dust is driving me crazy on my M850 vert

03-27-2021, 03:46 AM   #1
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Nice weather is finally starting to arrive and I got her washed to perfection today. Drove about 50 miles, 5 of which were aggressive I get home and the front rims are coated with the brown dust from hell. Having the black rims I think makes it more noticeable. I guess I can try coatings but I really think if that helps it will be minimal. My question is aftermarket pads. I have heard everything from they are a dream that will fix all my problems to they will be a nightmare that will cause noise and vibration with weak stopping power. Any real world experience? My car has about 9k on the clock. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 06:39 AM   #2
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

I empathize as I got my M850i ceramic coated (including the black rims) over a month ago but the brake dust GLUES onto them as much as before. I guess the only real benefit out of this is that they are washable with less effort as the dirt is easier to remove. However, the latter is retained too much for my own taste and I'm sure there are better or dedicated coatings for the rims. The one they applied to my rims (Ceramic Coat Rims by servFaces) definitely DOES NOT do the job.
As for aftrmarket pads, I used ENDLESS (made in Japan) for my previous vehicles but not sure they have anything (yet) for the M850i. I had no issues with them - no anomalies whatsoever and they performed great. Further I have heard good things about CENTRIC especially their Premium lineup. They do have something for the M850 in this case. These supposedly have a "High anti dust capability". The "problem" with the M850i being so new and also given the repair/service warranty you will not find many that have swapped the original pads for aftermarket ones.
Appreciate 2
Mgrae456271.00
      03-27-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

I despise the brake dust on my M5 bc it makes the brakes squeal constantly.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I'm still stock OEM; but I hear swapping the pads for ceramic pads helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:21 PM   #5
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
I empathize as I got my M850i ceramic coated (including the black rims) over a month ago but the brake dust GLUES onto them as much as before. I guess the only real benefit out of this is that they are washable with less effort as the dirt is easier to remove. However, the latter is retained too much for my own taste and I'm sure there are better or dedicated coatings for the rims. The one they applied to my rims (Ceramic Coat Rims by servFaces) definitely DOES NOT do the job.
As for aftrmarket pads, I used ENDLESS (made in Japan) for my previous vehicles but not sure they have anything (yet) for the M850i. I had no issues with them - no anomalies whatsoever and they performed great. Further I have heard good things about CENTRIC especially their Premium lineup. They do have something for the M850 in this case. These supposedly have a "High anti dust capability". The "problem" with the M850i being so new and also given the repair/service warranty you will not find many that have swapped the original pads for aftermarket ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Thanks for the reply and info in going to do my research on centric
Appreciate 1