M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Need a bit of help

09-04-2021, 03:19 PM   #1
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Need a bit of help

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey All,

I went today to order a M8 Comp Convertible. Got some news about ordering that isn't the best. So at this time you cannot order B&W stereo starting today actually. Also neck warmer is not available either both due to supply chain.

What is the standard Stereo for the M8 Comp?? HIFI or HK?

Anyone have any thoughts on the neck warmer is it a deal breaker for anyone?

Since the ones they have coming in are not my taste or colors and options I will be ordering an individual color option (not 100% on color yet but will be a red). Anyone tell me how much the individual paints typically add? (I didn't ask at the dealer bc I wasn't sure I was going to order yet).

Also any incentives I should be looking for ext....

EDIT: So far I have found corporate program offers 1500, off and BMW loyalty is 1500, any others out there that I might have missed.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS

Last edited by Tenac; 09-04-2021 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

B&W is a worthwhile addition in my opinion. Not only for the increased sound quality and loudness, but you also get the light up speaker grilles, which adds to the overall ambiance at night.

Can't speak on the neck warmers as I've never tried them, but individual paint is going to set you back $5K.

Here's a cool website where you can see the individual colors they offer on the specific model you're looking for:

https://visualizer.bmw-individual.co...38;lang=EN#top
      09-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
B&W is a worthwhile addition in my opinion. Not only for the increased sound quality and loudness, but you also get the light up speaker grilles, which adds to the overall ambiance at night.

Can't speak on the neck warmers as I've never tried them, but individual paint is going to set you back $5K.

Here's a cool website where you can see the individual colors they offer on the specific model you're looking for:

https://visualizer.bmw-individual.co...=1&lang=EN#top
Awesome, thank you. Yeah I currently have X5M Comp with everything so totally agree but I'm okay with the wifes HK if it comes with HK.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #4
fl650
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 & 2016 BMW X1

If there's a factory color you like, I would strongly recommend doing a national search ASAP. Dealers in colder climates may be more inclined to negotiate on a convertible as we go into Fall. When purchasing my M8, B&W was a "must have" option. If I were buying a convertible, I would also want the neck warmers (even in Florida). Availability was supposed to be getting better by now. Is this a sign of more things to come?
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50
      09-05-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl650 View Post
If there's a factory color you like, I would strongly recommend doing a national search ASAP. Dealers in colder climates may be more inclined to negotiate on a convertible as we go into Fall. When purchasing my M8, B&W was a "must have" option. If I were buying a convertible, I would also want the neck warmers (even in Florida). Availability was supposed to be getting better by now. Is this a sign of more things to come?
Yeah I'm not much of a fan of any of the colors... I'm looking for a nice red and have seen the option colors in person none really did it for me. The B&W is really the only thing I think holding me up..
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:

$5500
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50
      09-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #7
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Hey All,

So at this time you cannot order B&W stereo starting today actually. Also neck warmer is not available either both due to supply chain.

My perspective may be different than most, but to be honest, with the convertible top down and in Sport + mode, - I won't even turn on the B&W system in my car because the engine and exhaust note just sound too damn good! But I will say, with the top up, the B&W system sounds really amazing. I also had it in my 2018 M550 and for some reason I think it sounds even better in this car - maybe it's the smaller interior, IDK. I went through extensive tuning/tweaking of the sound presets and graphic equalizers in both cars for what it's worth. And yes, the speaker grill lighting is damn sexy at night...

My wife's '21 X3 M40 has the H/K and with some tweaking, along with the right sound profile on your source (phone settings - don't overlook this!) it sounds really good actually.

As for the neck warmers - they actually work and feel pretty good on cooler days. But would it be enough for me NOT to order the convertible if they weren't available? Nope. And here's another point - with the side windows up and the wind buffer screen installed in the back, there is no wind or turbulence in the cabin, even at 70 mph...it's incredible. So the air conditioning or heating works well while top down cruising around, so there's that.

I got my '22 in May of this year - sucks about parts shortage impacting even the high end line for BMW....that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to find a '20 or '21 model with the B&W and neck warmers - have you gone that route?

Speaking of non-available options....the one that I miss most from my m550 is the night vision, not only did it work really well, but it was cool as hell!

Last edited by BMWGUYinCO; 09-05-2021 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50
      09-06-2021, 11:51 AM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
My perspective may be different than most, but to be honest, with the convertible top down and in Sport + mode, - I won't even turn on the B&W system in my car because the engine and exhaust note just sound too damn good! But I will say, with the top up, the B&W system sounds really amazing. I also had it in my 2018 M550 and for some reason I think it sounds even better in this car - maybe it's the smaller interior, IDK. I went through extensive tuning/tweaking of the sound presets and graphic equalizers in both cars for what it's worth. And yes, the speaker grill lighting is damn sexy at night...

My wife's '21 X3 M40 has the H/K and with some tweaking, along with the right sound profile on your source (phone settings - don't overlook this!) it sounds really good actually.

As for the neck warmers - they actually work and feel pretty good on cooler days. But would it be enough for me NOT to order the convertible if they weren't available? Nope. And here's another point - with the side windows up and the wind buffer screen installed in the back, there is no wind or turbulence in the cabin, even at 70 mph...it's incredible. So the air conditioning or heating works well while top down cruising around, so there's that.

I got my '22 in May of this year - sucks about parts shortage impacting even the high end line for BMW....that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to find a '20 or '21 model with the B&W and neck warmers - have you gone that route?

Speaking of non-available options....the one that I miss most from my m550 is the night vision, not only did it work really well, but it was cool as hell!
You have some very good points here. This won't be my first convertible (F-type) and I concur with your thoughts on listening to the exhaust with top down. My F-Type was stupid awesome with the sound from an OEM system. I agree with the H/K system my wife's X3 M40i it sounds great in. The lights are really great in the B&W system honestly I think that would be the biggest thing I'd miss.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 09:28 PM   #9
PappadocM8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Convertible

I've got a 2020 M8 conv with the B&W and heated neck warmers in Chicago. The sound system is absolutely amazing with the top up and still fantastic with the top down. I was rocking out today going 80 mph with the windows and top down...still sounds great. I've had many convertibles and this system is undeniably the best. I listen to all genres of music and it just kicks ass on classic rock and sings beautifully on soft vocals and instrumentals with zero distortion, strong low and mid bass with balanced highs. Plus you can customize the lights! Long story long, I could live without it but didn't want to compromise too much when spending this kind of money. My philosophy is if you're gonna spend a lot of money on something, you gotta love it.

The heated neck warmers are nice but NOT necessary. I've driven this car with the top down in the high 50's and it doesn't make much difference. It's a nice touch on cooler nights but trust me, not worth passing on a great car for.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4538.50
      09-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #10
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

Quote:

https://visualizer.bmw-individual.co...=1&lang=EN#top
Thanks for that link

I got my Brands Hatch M8 off the lot so there was not much of a choice, other than Donnington or Black.

But that visualizer killed me when I saw what the yellow would look like
      10-27-2021, 09:19 AM   #11
348SStb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche Mercedes McLaren etc

For resale on an 8 convertible, you want the neck warmer. I advise you wait until the supply constraint is lifted.

The must-have options on the 8 are both driver assist packages and the neck warmer. Any dealer who ordered inventory cars without those knows they are difficult to sell. I believe any convertible without the neck warmer is an oddball car. It’s useful even in Florida - used mine all last winter. Low-70s/high 60s is chilly when going 80+ mph.

The car is bad enough on its own as a depreciating asset, and I believe the neck warmer aspect would compound the problem. Therefore I suggest you give it serious thought and tell the dealer to tell BMW NA your concern so they can keep pressing everyone to restore production back to the way it should be. We all need to speak up. It’s time for the world and suppliers in particular to get back to work at full capacity.

Last edited by 348SStb; 10-27-2021 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 09:51 AM   #12
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 348SStb View Post
For resale on an 8 convertible, you want the neck warmer. I advise you wait until the supply constraint is lifted.

The must-have options on the 8 are both driver assist packages and the neck warmer. Any dealer who ordered inventory cars without those knows they are difficult to sell. I believe any convertible without the neck warmer is an oddball car. It’s useful even in Florida - used mine all last winter. Low-70s/high 60s is chilly when going 80+ mph.

The car is bad enough on its own as a depreciating asset, and I believe the neck warmer aspect would compound the problem. Therefore I suggest you give it serious thought and tell the dealer to tell BMW NA your concern so they can keep pressing everyone to restore production back to the way it should be. We all need to speak up. It’s time for the world and suppliers in particular to get back to work at full capacity.
yeah good point, as it stands I will have the neck warmer and B&W sound system. Production starts week 46.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #13
348SStb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche Mercedes McLaren etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
yeah good point, as it stands I will have the neck warmer and B&W sound system. Production starts week 46.
Very nice!

Not sure if you’re checking the boxes for the two driver assist packages — but I’ve done extensive shopping on M8 and have viewed many around the country… cars without driver assist packages sat on showroom floors for many, many months and over a year in many cases.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #14
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 348SStb View Post
Very nice!

Not sure if you’re checking the boxes for the two driver assist packages — but I’ve done extensive shopping on M8 and have viewed many around the country… cars without driver assist packages sat on showroom floors for many, many months and over a year in many cases.
Oh all options I have selected except carbon brakes and the awesome seats. (I don't fit, and I don't really need, I don't like the squeal.)
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #15
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

If you're playing CD-quality or better audio, B&W is worth the jump.

If you're using the radio or bluetooth to stream music, HK will do just fine, which I believe is the "standard" option on the m8
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
If you're playing CD-quality or better audio, B&W is worth the jump.

If you're using the radio or bluetooth to stream music, HK will do just fine, which I believe is the "standard" option on the m8
Bluetooth has the bandwidth to pass lossless and higher bit rates no problem as well. Just FYI it has to be format aptX or LDAC.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0